• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Blocky Boy

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blocky Boy--Now Taking Payments!

Yet another CR123 Twisty light, just with some different styling on the body. This is designed to take RCR123 batteries, be driven with the GD750 driver, have a UCL lens or similar, Khatod reflector and a Seoul U binned P4. Will have a split ring hole in the bottom and a slot to allow the light to tail stand.

Thinking of making a short run of these, if there is enough interest, no more than 25 to 50 pieces. Price would be around $100, give or take $20, depending on the final choice of finish. [EDIT 10-12-07]: The Blocky Boy will be made in a run of 50 pieces only. Indications of interest will have priority on the sales thread, which will start about two weeks before the lights are completed. Completion date is tentatively two months from now.

While I love EN plating, I might consider having these anodized, instead.

Any interest in this? If so, please post what you'd like for a finish and if anodized, what color. Thanks.

BlockySide2.jpg

The above photos are of a prototype that I just completed. Made of 6061AL and polished after completion. Length is 64mm and the diameter is 20mm.

[edited 10-10-07]

I decided to modify the Blocky Boy since the blocks on the head turned out to be too small, in my opinion, and the original wall thickness a tad too thin. So here's the new incarnation of Blocky Boy, and while this is done in Titanium, the production run will still be 6061AL.

Q2-Ti-sideview1.jpg

Q2-Ti-Vertical.jpg

Your feedback on the proposed changes is, indeed, welcomed. Thanks.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Refinement of Indications of Interest, please!

While it may still be a while before the sales thread is open and payments are accepted, I would like to zero in on exactly what everyone would like re their Blocky Boy.

I'll try to keep this as simple as possible, while providing a wide variety of choices, should you feel the need to customize your BB.

First, I will sell the BB as just bodies only--nothing else is included except for the head, converter module, and the battery tube. The prices for bodies only are: Bare 6061AL--$60; EN Plated & Polished--$80, or HAIII Anodized Black& Polished--$90. You would need to buy everything else that you might need à la carte, i.e., lens, O-rings, reflector, driver, battery, and split ring.

Second, I will sell complete lights, which includes everything. The prices for the completed lights are: Bare 6061 AL--$130; EN Plated--$135; or HAIII Anodized Black--$145.

REVISED 1/5/08:
NOTE: All complete lights will be vibratory tumbled and then buffed and polished to completely remove machining marks. This will provide soft edges that will wear better, whether EN plated or anodized.

For the complete lights, you may request (but I can't guarantee all requests since Wayne is out of some models) a choice of drivers, i.e., NexGen 500mA or 750mA, or GD 750mA or 1A. You may also select from a smooth reflector or a stippled reflector. The hotspot is more pronounced and brighter with the smooth reflector, while the stippled reflector give a more even distribution of light and is not as bright, although still plenty bright for most people. Finally, you have a choice of which color bin you would prefer your Seoul P4 to have--either USW0H, a very pure white, or USV0H, a slightly warner tint, with a hint of yellow--quite good for outdoor use. The default LED will be the USW0H, so if you want the USV0H, please let me know.

OK onto the spreadsheet. This shows the names of everyone who has indicated that they want a Blocky Boy of some sort. If you had also expressed an interest in a particular driver, reflector or LED, I've included that info also.

Please indicate in this thread your final choices and I will update this spreadsheet as those are posted. Here is what I have so far, through 12:43 a.m. EDT on 4/10/08; italicized names have indicated their choices already. Names in green have paid:

BlockyBoyList.PNG

Last edited:

Bushman5

Enlightened
I'm down for one. Bare aluminum (so i can polish it) or a nice green anodize

nitnapz

Enlightened
what happens at the other end, could a ring or keyring be attached ?
thanks. the one in the pic looks immaculate, looks like a stainless steel polished

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
what happens at the other end, could a ring or keyring be attached ?
thanks. the one in the pic looks immaculate, looks like a stainless steel polished

Yes, a split ring can be attached, as mentioned in the first paragraph.

Would look something like this (the spilt ring and slot, not the light):

img310.jpg

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely interested................bare and polished!

Thanks,

jeffb

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Interested!!! Black or Natural Type-III anodized! :thumbsup:

Very cool, Fred! :drool: Are you planning on making all of them at your shop, or have them made elsewhere?

:) john

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe interested in one. Type III Natural Hard Anodize.

What is EN plating?

What does the Khatod reflector look like?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Fred,

Not that you're asking for requests :nana: but I thought I'd throw some in!

1) Is the reflector is stippled? :shrug:
2) What about a tritium slot somewhere? :)

Ernsada - EN plating is Electroless Nickel - it's a shiny plating that (AFAIK) is really corrosion-resistant. Miky/Leef's new light "The Gotham" is EN plated, for reference. I'm not sure about the Khatod reflector, which is why I asked about it above! :thumbsup:

:wave: john

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kathod comes in both smooth and heavily Stippled flavors :whistle:

count me in for Two lights.Both EN Plated and one w/Stippled and one w/Smooth reflector.