• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

A19 with 2x123 and DB917 question

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased an A19 from a fellow member. It put out the same lumens with two R123 as with a 17670. Today I thought I would replace the Cree P4 with a Q5. Everything went smoothly and it fired up when I put the 17670 into it. I tested the amperage at the tailcap and it showed 1A. I put it in my lightbox and it read 12600 lux, great, that's 175lm, a big increase over the P4 (9000 lux). Next I tried a couple of CR123(6V). It read 2.2A at the tailcap, whoa, kinda high. I put it in my lightbox and it showed 16000 lux, 220lm out the front. When I tried two R123s it would nova for a second then the battery protection would kick in.

My question is, what happened by just changing the emitter. Before the swap the DB917 handled 4V to 8V. I desoldered the P4 by putting heat on it with one of those little blowtorch lighters. I put an Xacto blade at the edge of the ceramic with some pressure and it popped off in about 15 sec. I don't see where the converter board could have got hot. The Q5 I didn't reflow solder, but put some thermal compound in the center of it and let some solder flow under the pos and neg edges to the board.

Anybody have an idea what could have happened, I'm stumped? Sure is bright though. :D

Edit; It has the Aleph XR can with the 2mm MCPCB.

Last edited:

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's possible the DB went balistic. I know that a 2X or 3X configuraion there have been issues that is totally unclear what happens. I don't know if the IC overheats or there is momentary spikes somewhere or what.

The SOB is the next generation of the DB and uses a different converter IC that is safe and has thermal overload protection as part of the die.

The only other thing I can think of is reversing the batteries will kill the converter board.

Wayne