Cheap IR Filters??

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Long ago in a place called Cheaper Than Dirt, there used to exist cheap IR filters. I bought one from them about 4 years ago for my 6p. It was a simple rubber thing that slipped over the bezel with a small retaining ring - it didn't cost more than 4 or 5 bucks.

Does anyone sell or even manufacture these things anymore??

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen them in lab and science suply sites in various shapes and sizes, check these kinda of sites and you might have luck.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
zmoz - This material is basically a bandpass filter that allows only (mostly) the IR range through.

I know where to get the filter plastic in 12" square sections. I was just wondering if anyone has seen a cheaper supplier for either the bulk sheets or the slip-on filters themselves. The science and lab supply stores seem to all think pretty highly of the stuff and tend to charge a lot.

I should have bought the whole truckload when Cheaper Than Dirt had them. They had a bunch of different sizes for SF's and Mag's.

Entropy

Enlightened
I believe that some photographic films make quite effective IR-pass filters.

I BELIEVE it's unexposed but developed film, I can't remember whether it has to be color or B/W or doesn't matter.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took colored "gels" used for stage lighting and cut them to size and use them in the lens of my 3 D maglite. Works for me. I go to a local music store [Sam Ash] to get them. Used red, blue green, orange. Looking thru my cheap Russian monoc, it gives just about the same effect, if not a little less, of the flashlight in regular use with the naked eye.

paulr

Flashaholic
Use developed unexposed E6 transparency film, it's nearly visible-opaque and IR-transparent. I have a roll of it here (120 sized, so about 2.5" wide) and can send you a piece if you want it.

Doug3581

Newly Enlightened
Edmund (Scientific) Optical has some sizes of plastic filter now, a 2-inch diameter (mag-lite bezel) is $7.30 and their shipping isn't real cheap,,, but I got tired of searching for other options online that people said "hey, this works pretty well". So if you want to know how well it works, then you have to buy it from somewhere specifically selling it as such, and who gives transmission specs for it, and Edmund does. Look in (edmundoptics.com) online catalog/optics/filters and diffusers/longpass/ for "optical cast plastic".
...The glass filters work better but cost way more (anywhere), and are much more difficult to cut to size.
~~~~~~

Doug3581

Newly Enlightened
Well nuts--the Edmund filters appear brown over a mag-lite and shine a beam that is a deep red--but I have since been informed that you can actually see up to 1000+ nm, if it's bright and it's the only light there is.
So my dream of a flashlight invisible to the naked eye but visible to gen-1 NV is dashed.
(sob)
However, regarding the lighting gels that webley445 mentioned--I looked for these and did find a source for the Lee filter gels near me. These are thin plastic colored sheets used for stage lighting, they cost about $6 for a 20 x 24-inch sheet, and you can cut them into any size or shape you want with regular scissors. The fellow on this page: http://www.amasci.com/amateur/irgoggl.html mentions using Primary Red and Congo Blue--but there are better ones for longer IR filtering. The colors that you really want for IR-pass are #027 Medium Red and either #713 J. Winter Blue or #735 Velvet Green. One layer each of the red and either of the others looks BLACK in daylight on a sunny day--you can only really see the sun's disc through them, they are too dark to use for that guy's "$10 infared goggles", but a gen-1 NV scope can see right through them easily.
---The guy I got them from handed me a little designer swatch book as I was leaving, almost as an afterthought--and it has a little transmission chart for most of the colored filters that goes all the way up to 800 nm, so you can pick combinations with the transmissions you want. The reds have a transmission "hump" only on the long end of course, and the green/blues have a hump near 400-550 nm, and all also have an IR hump. The two combinations above are about the only two where the red transmission doesn't reach all the way down into the blue-green transmission--however, the light from both of these combinations *does* look blue-green, so there is some bleeding going on, but it was the best I could find going through all the colors. The website has the transmission charts as well, but online they end at 700 nm.
~

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am pretty sure that my eyes cannot see anything close to 1000nm, but there might be exceptions out there. I was always under the impression that even 880 nm was considered invisible. A lot of filters are passing a wider distribution of light than the particular wavelenght center. Your best bet is to try to buy some IR LEDs, as they tend to be almost monochromatic.

paulr

Flashaholic
When it's dark I can certainly see a dull red flicker coming from the IR led's in (say) a TV remote.

Doug3581

Newly Enlightened
The problem with trying to use LED's is that a single one isn't bright enough, and multiples cannot be focused well. I tried it already. 840nm LED's you can see the die glow red in the dark, but 940's I couldn't see at all if they were off or on.
~~~~

Frangible

Enlightened
Depends on what you're doing. Single LED is quite bright to a Gen 2 or 3 night vision device.

Doug3581

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Single LED is quite bright to a Gen 2 or 3 night vision device.

[/ QUOTE ]
--->Well maybe, but then if you had a gen-2 or 3, you probably wouldn't need a light anyway.
-----------
I emailed Astraproducts for a couple prices.....
By the by, I have found that the astraproducts site ( http://www.astraproducts.com ) will not display in any Mozilla browser on my Win98 machine, and also will not display on Mozilla 1.6 on another separate computer running Fedora/Linux. It will only show up in Internet Explorer.
Does anyone else have this same problem?
~

Frangible

Enlightened
Naw, in a very dark room indoors there isn't much light to amplify... it's pretty dark even to my good G2 tube. Outdoors, there's always been enough light, but indoors the IR illuminator comes in handy.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even on a very dark night, no moon or stars because of clouds, or in dense woods, a Gen 2 and even a Gen 3 pair of nvgs needs some sort of extra light. An IR LED is great for reading, or doing close up work, looking at guages for instance. A higher power IR light is great when looking into shadows with even GEN 3 nvg's. It can really make looking into vehicles, or bunkers easy.
With GEN 1, I'd definately want some sort of additional light source, since even GEN 2 looks kind of dark to me these days, unless it's a full moon.