Firefox weirdness

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Every 3 minutes like clockwork, the Zone Alarm Pro task bar icon shows activity for approximately 1 second. This is accompanied by a CPU usage spike that sometimes causes my cursor to "hour glass." Stopwatch in hand and eyes glued to processes in Task Mgr, it seems to be Firefox! Who/what would Firefox need to call every 3 minutes? I turned off automatic search for updates in Firefox/restarted but the activity continues. Have I become somebody's bot? (XP/cable modem/NOD 32 AV)

Larry

Marduke

Flashaholic
Are you often viewing the same website? Drudge Report, for example, does a frequent page refresh, whether you like it or not.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Firefox doesn't have an auto refresh feature, and clicking refresh has obvious effects, even if the page hasn't changed.

Larry

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
One way to find out is to download and install Wireshark (formerly Ethereal), a free packet sniffer. Run a capture on your ethernet NIC port for 5-10 minutes while doing nothing else, then stop the capture and analyze. You'll be able to capture the traffic and see where it's going.

Last edited:

Empath

Flashaholic
It wouldn't hurt to check your add-ons for Firefox. You could disable one at a time to see if it stops with any of them.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Wireshark installed and run for 10 minutes, and nada! Nothing on the Zonealarm icon either. The 3-minute traffic appears to have stopped! I even closed Firefox and reloaded.

Firefox add-ons are: No Script, Realplayer Browser Record Plug-in, Skype extension for Firefox, Talkback (to Mozilla), and TrackMeNot. That's all. btw, I turned off TrackMeNot about a week ago in case it was the culprit.

This is bizarre! I've been ignoring the 3-minute thing for a couple weeks, and curiosity got the better of me. If it returns, I'll sick Wireshark on it. It going away like that isn't helping my paranoia. :shrug:

Larry