Coleman White Gas Lantern conversion?

benh

Newly Enlightened
I've got an old Coleman white gas lantern. It's got to be 20 years old, and still works perfectly, of course. These guys were built to last.

I'm interested in converting it to either dual fuel (white gas, unleaded) or propane use, while maintaining the ability to put it back to stock.

Anyone have any idea what's involved in a dual fuel conversion? I know it'll need a different generator, but other than that...

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
What T'Dog said.

I think there is a propane conversion avialable(I know there's one for the stoves) but it's probably more expensive than one of the screwon propane lights.

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened
I've got an old Coleman white gas lantern. It's got to be 20 years old, and still works perfectly, of course. These guys were built to last.

I'm interested in converting it to either dual fuel (white gas, unleaded) or propane use, while maintaining the ability to put it back to stock.

Anyone have any idea what's involved in a dual fuel conversion? I know it'll need a different generator, but other than that...

Love my Coleman gas lantern. So reliable. From my understanding, conversion is not really feasible, but you're not likely to enjoy using unleaded fuel. I've heard that unleaded gas has a somewhat foul smell when burning in the Dual Fuel lanterns. In addition to a different generator, the Dual Fuel lanterns have steel tanks for unleaded gasoline. More and more unleaded gasoline has detergents and other additives in them these days. Here in Canada, the additives they put in the fuel make it impossible to use in Dual Fuel lanterns without damage, so they're not even sold here. It's not the same as the days where "White Gas" was simply gas without lead in it. I personally wouldn't want to be near a lantern burning today's unleaded fuels. It's bad enough that we have to have it pouring from car exhaust.

I realize that even with today's Fuel costs, unleaded is still cheaper than Coleman fuel, but for the amount of time that most of us use our Coleman gas lanterns, the Coleman fuel is not that expensive and it's really clean burning.

If you really want a Dual Fuel lantern or a propane lantern, CPF members have been offered a discount from Coleman's lighting product manager (to be used within reasonable limits) as a way to try out Coleman lanterns and products. You can order from the Coleman Friends and Family Store by going to the Coleman Web Store, then click the link for Family Store and enter the password FAMILY in the box at the bottom of the page.

For lot's of info on gas lanterns, here's two great sites to explore...

http://www.be-back-later.com/forums/

http://www.oldtownyucca.com/coleman/

On the Old Town Yucca site, check out the "Technical Assistance" link for a wealth of information and "The Virtual Museum" link for more Coleman Gas Lanterns than you've ever seen in your life.

Last edited:

benh

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info, especially those links to the lantern sites.

My main intent in conversion is to have more flexibility in the event that I can't get/run out of Coleman fuel. I've got a nice dual burner white gas stove, along with a propane conversion for that stove (along with my backpacking stove), so I was looking for something similar for the lantern.

Looks like I'll just not worry about it and if I have to throw some unleaded in there, I'll just do it.

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
have you tried white spirit?
ok it takes a few more seconds heat up but believe me it burns fantastic, as good as white gas ....
its loads cheaper, easy to get hold of and absolutely NO residue to clog parts ...... try it

Blacklight

Enlightened
Big iron is correct it is Naptha.

Turbodog is correct as well. You can burn unleaded fuel in it, but it will clog much more quickly, and not perform as well. It is a lot more economical and efficient to run them off of Naptha.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of Coleman lanterns, I wonder if they made any liquid fueled dual mantles that were this easy to light.

I know the NorthStar Dual Fuel is one model but I'm thinking about the more familiar two mantle versions.

(The patent I linked to is owned by Coleman by the way)

cy

Flashaholic
big fan of coleman white gas lanterns. substantially better than propane lanterns in terms of output and fuel economies.

downside is lighting process. some folks were just not meant to light gas stoves and lanterns. big ball of flames and probably burnt hair too.

my favorite coleman lantern are the old ones. 20yr is actually not that old for coleman. folks actually collect these.

one of my fav is a WWII era coleman purchased at a garage sale. she used to live in Alaska and used them as primary lighting.

super cooool with brass hardware... too lazy to post pic's :green:

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
Hey BIGIRON, :) White spirit?..... maybe you guys call it turpentine/turps
white spirit is a petroleum based equivalent, used for thinning oil based paint, cleaning brushes etc.
will evaporate easy and leave no residue :thumbsup:
have you tried white spirit?
ok it takes a few more seconds heat up but believe me it burns fantastic, as good as white gas ....
its loads cheaper, easy to get hold of and absolutely NO residue to clog parts ...... try it

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kinda what I thought. Might also be called "mineral spirits" here.

Hendo, check your PM. Want to know what bike is in your avatar.

Blacklight

Enlightened
big fan of coleman white gas lanterns. substantially better than propane lanterns in terms of output and fuel economies.

downside is lighting process. some folks were just not meant to light gas stoves and lanterns. big ball of flames and probably burnt hair too.

my favorite coleman lantern are the old ones. 20yr is actually not that old for coleman. folks actually collect these.

one of my fav is a WWII era coleman purchased at a garage sale. she used to live in Alaska and used them as primary lighting.

super cooool with brass hardware... too lazy to post pic's :green:

Anyway you can PM me photos? Or email to [email protected], I would love to see these great old lanterns.

Blacklight

Enlightened
Speaking of Coleman lanterns, I wonder if they made any liquid fueled dual mantles that were this easy to light.

I know the NorthStar Dual Fuel is one model but I'm thinking about the more familiar two mantle versions.

(The patent I linked to is owned by Coleman by the way)

Nope, but that big tube mantle puts out more light than a regular two mantle lantern anyway.

cy

Flashaholic
OK.... ya..all shamed me into pic's

model 237-299 made in 1943-45 era

http://terrence.marsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/lantern/colelant3145.html

note the super cool swiss case..

coleman.JPG

coleman2.JPG

Last edited:

luminiferous

Newly Enlightened
What a find! Thanks for (eventually :D) sharing.

According to Herb W. Ebendorf, Coleman Company Historian, the model 237 was made as early as 1941. Is there a date and country of manufacture on the lantern? I believe 237-299 is the generator model number.

Here's instructions on how to identify the date of manufacture.

http://www.pressure-lanterns-il.com/technical/coleman.htm

Sources:
http://www.colemancollectorsclub.com/tech_models.htm#other

http://www.geocities.jp/gkpllantern/35_Coleman_236-635.html

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
get this... at the garage sale that I found # 237 coleman.

she had several other old coleman lanterns and coleman stoves for sale. just got #237 because it was the cooolest looking one. now that I've seen dating codes. the other lanterns were same age range.

only scored one... because I've already got at least 4 other coleman lanterns. these are used extensively on Boy Scout campouts.

during the last ice storm in Tulsa... the coleman lanterns and stoves came out for duties.