Flashlights as tools for social justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed several threads devoted to the use of flashlights in a darkened theater as a way of quieting folks who talk during a film, or talk loudly on a cell phone during a film.

This practice seems to involve blasting the person who is talking in the face with the highest level of brightness available, which is often followed by some type of verbal or physical confrontation.

I honestly feel that this is something that needs to be immediately addressed by the members of this forum, as I consider this practice to be irresponsible, dangerous, possibly illegal, and most certainly something that we do not want to promote or condone among the membership here on CPF.

Maybe I'm being a 'girly-boy' and we should really be promoting the use of 'flashlight justice' through out the land as a way of teaching people respect for the rights of others in theaters to enjoy their film viewing experience in peace and quiet.

Hey...... why stop with the loud cell phone talkers, what about those pesky mothers and their crying babies?

Ok....... there you go. PLEASE...... no personal attacks, from either side. Just state how you feel, and why. I'm sincerely interested to see how the membership feels about this issue.

Samuel

Enlightened
"with great output comes great responsibility" or something like that... ;P

Seriously though, if you Are going to use your light to "get someone's attention" or to attempt to "correct" someone's behavior, just make sure you consider worse/worst case scenarios... (especially bringing a flashlight to a gun fight...)

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If something like this happened in a theater, I would complain but to the theater management. There is no point to go directly involved since first and foremost its not your private place.

Usually, inconsiderate people being inconsiderate will continue to be that way until one day it happens to them. Within the society that we live in nowadays, we must be extra careful when approaching other people whether to settle dispute or etc. Our intentions may be sincere but the other party may be over protective and may see that as a threat. So beware.

My personal opinion is that, this sort of behaviour should be contained at the grassroots level. Proper education etc for all level is necessary to generate a decent community.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Would you post some links to the threads you have a problem with. Flashlights used in theaters.

Bill

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some can see the "flashlight assault" as an escalation but, what if it assisted in defusing a situation when violence would have been the only option? (just throwing it out there) I know the threads in question do glorify the "blast" but... We LIVE for a situation where our high powered lights come in handy.. Just as stories in the proverbial "locker room" get more glorified with every telling, we have the same excitement level here in our niche and let it roll in some stories and situations!! (think flashlight blast over a kung-fu kick at the karate forums) :)

This coin has two sides and I can see both of them. The motto "Use..not abuse" really comes in here.

My humble .02 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.