Olight
Page 1 of 24 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your home-made lanyard photos! (Part 2)

Default Post your home-made lanyard photos! (Part 2)

-"Must control self"-

Default Re: Post your home-made lanyard photos! (Part 2)

Sigman
    Is this one going to be a sticky as well? I do hope so. It is a sShame since i was the last post in the old forum, to hell with it i am going to make myself the first pic poster in this thread.

A snake knot, really like this one, think it comes out quite well.

My new efforts at the knots now are done being endless, not sure if it is obvious to others but I think the endless knots look heaps better, not that the Snake knot easy to make endless.

GlenC now has possession of these ones......

GreenLED wondering if there is a link for the Turks head that you make, not trying to steal your business but just keen to try one.
    Last edited by KeeperSD; 10-07-2007 at 06:09 AM.
    There's no truth in the news and no news in the truth

Thanks for the gentle reminder - oops on my part! It's stuck now!
    -"Must control self"-

My little "turtles":

Buttrock Re: Post your home-made lanyard photos! (Part 2)

Here's the one GreenLed made for me, it's awesome!

Streamlight UltraStinger, TwinTask 2D - Fenix L0D-CE - Ultrafire WF-602C SSC - MTE 42180 SSC - Brinkmann Maxfire w/CREE drop-in - Mag 2D w/MagLED - Petzl Micro - DX 8 LED Headlamp

My homemade on G2L

I've been playing around with some nice coloured cord that Keeper sent me, (thanks TJ) still in the learning stages, I need to try some of the fancier knots. I'm finding it fun for not much money, cheaper than buying lights
    Norm

A little GID goodness built into a custom lanyard

I really need to keep watching Stormdrane's video on using the knitting spool. I have watched that video ~100 time and I just can't get it. Well I'll keep trying.

I started using GIMP when I was a kid doing the box and barrel stitch along with some other easy one but once I started seeing what Stormdrane and greenLed have done with paracord ...its just unbelievable. You guys are great.

Stormdrane...
    If you read this, do you have or know of any other links that show more details on using the spool?

Thanks again
    Last edited by 5.0Trunk; 10-23-2007 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0Trunk View Post
    Stormdrane...
    If you read this, do you have or know of any other links that show more details on using the spool?
    If you google 'knitting spool', you'll get plenty of hits to look thru that may help you get an idea of what's being done with working the cord on the spools.

Here's a two-tone lanyard/wrist strap made with 2mm cord on a 4-peg knitting spool.

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm a total noob when it comes to knot tying. Stormdrane's a Master.

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, but I'm a total noob when it comes to knot tying. Stormdrane's a Master.
    If thats the case,Stormdrane's the Grand Master and you are the Master,ones I have had from you are excellent
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have
    their shoes.

Here are some cobra varieties that I have been playing around with. The green cobra is done from some scrap paracord from another piece that i made. The blue and black cobra and the pink and black king cobra are the first i have done with the clips. I am trying to find somewhere to buy some of the clips but am struggling at the moment

I was looking through a bookshop sale the other day and came up with this book for $16, hard to turn away so i grabbed it. Nice book with good instructions.

A paracord chatelaine (thanks to Stormdrane for educating me on the term).

I've been trying to get the hang of the Turk's Head knot. Here I've used gutted neon orange paracord with 1/16" Cool Glow Stuff cord to make a six lead 5 bight Turk's Head. If I set this down in the woods, it'll definitely be easier to find, day or night.

Here's some leather knotwork I put around my Surefire. Two Spanish Ring Knots on the sides of a Turk's Head knot.

I used some 2mm cord and Turk's Head knots to make a grip on this old 2AA Maglite. That's one continuous cord used for the grip, total of just over 11 feet was used with the 3 lead 4 bight Turk's Heads and the several wraps in between them. There's a tutorial for the knot on an IGKT brochure.

good to see you back and posting again Stormdrane, been a little while. Your posts always seem to get me interested again.

Stormdrane, that Mini-Maglite work is perfect! I've been looking around for a nonslip grip treatment for my dog walking light, and that looks ideal.

Did you put any tape or goop on the barrel to add friction between the barrel and the cord? And did you do anything to tension or tighten the cord?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CouchTater View Post
    Did you put any tape or goop on the barrel to add friction between the barrel and the cord? And did you do anything to tension or tighten the cord?
    I just wrapped it directly onto the flashlight barrel and hand tightened it with a stylus to tension the knots. It has stayed in place and doesn't slide around. It can probably be moved with enough force, but I think the light knurling on the Maglite helps hold it. Half hitches could also be used instead of just straight wraps between the Turk's Heads. You could put something like grip tape around the flashlight before wrapping for added security if you preferred.

Here's a long 3 bight Turk's Head on a Mini Maglite. I used 1/16" glow-in-the-dark cord and some 1mm green and 1mm black cotton cords.

Enlightened

Hi guys,
    Here's my first lanyard. It's not perfect, but it'll do for a first effort.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by cougar_67 View Post
    Hi guys,
    Here's my first lanyard. It's not perfect, but it'll do for a first effort.

Steve
    Excellent job for your first lanyard!

Here's a miniature Monkey's Fist made with 0.9mm braided nylon cord over a 6mm airsoft bb.

Enlightened

Thanks, Stormdrane.
    When I first made it, I added a double overhand knot as a stopper at the end of the snake knot. I didn't really care for the size of it so I've since removed that knot.
    The hardest part of the snake knot (at least for me) is the first two knots. Once I get past those it's pure repetition, and I'm getting a lot better at keeping my tension consistent.
    I've picked up some more cord and hardware; I have a few ideas I want to try out in the next few days. Now that I've lived with my first lanyard for a week or so I have a better idea of what I want in a lanyard.

Steve

Probably not the place for this question, but with GreenLed currently on hiatus from production (he has made me some masterful items), I am on the lookout for a place to purchase custom paracord lanyards/zipper pulls...can anyone point me to another source? Thanks.

Enlightened

Here's a key fob ... a cobra twist morphing into a snake knot and a couple of lanyard knots ...
    (I left the loop long enough so that I can change the clasp if I want later on)
    Steve
    Last edited by cougar_67; 03-04-2008 at 04:40 PM.

Enlightened

not a lanyard, not a fob ... but it is some cord and knotwork
    I made this handle for a sewing kit for a friend.
    Steve

Some knot work on my ARC-P.

Enlightened

A few neck lanyards for Id badges:

Steve

I don't have anything really fancy laying around to show off right now but here's a little of what I do have on hand...

2 Monkey's fists laying on a flattened Turk's Head. (3 Lead 5 Bight)

To give you an idea of size, the monkey's fists are tied around Daisy brand BBs.

KIDDING! After seeing Stormdrayne's awesome Airsoft monkey's fist, I couldn't resist, sorry. That is the most impressive thing I've seen in a knot in quite some time!

These are actually tied on regulation chromed pinballs and yes, they are quite heavy. You could hurt a person if you weren't careful!

Next is a POL (Plain Ol' Lanyard) but it's the first one I ever tied on anything. 4 Strand Square Sinnet, Black and OD Paracord

Everyone's seen those bracelets that are so popular over in the sandbox, here's my take on it. A hatband made of a single 68 foot long piece of 550 cord.

This one's strictly utilitarian. A 550 cord Turk's head on the butt of my Cold Steel Trailmaster. You wouldn't believe how much that little bit of "knob" on the end improves the handling characteristics of this knife! Utility chopping becomes much easier and fast grip transitions are a breeze with this little booger to hang on to! This simple mod makes a $100 production knife handle like a $500 custom.

This last one is a shot of my Maxpedition Jumbo. I tried to do a different knot on each zipper pull.

3 Strand Triangular Sennit
    3 Strand Round Sennit with Manrope Knot
    4 Strand Square Sennit
    4 Strand Round Sennit with Manrope Knot
    Monkey's fist is tied around a six sided die. The name of the lashing on the Monkey's fist escapes me at the moment but I think it's a very neat and pretty little lash that holds exceptionally well with nylon cord.

Last edited by Buster Bodine; 03-11-2008 at 11:58 PM.

Page 1 of 24 1234567811 ... LastLast