JetBeam C-LE v2.0 review with comparison to previous versions: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
This thread is a quick comparison of the various iterations of the Jetbeam C-LE. For a more detailed comparison to other 1AA lights, please see my current Multi-stage 1AA Review - Part III: Runtimes, beamshots & more!. Scroll down to a see a mini-review of the new clicky C-LE v2.0.

The contenders:

From left to right: DX X.V (early version of C-LE), Jetbeam C-LE v1, v1.2, and v2.0
CLE3.jpg

Beamshots:

On Hi with Duracell 2650mAh NiMH.

CLE5.jpg

CLE6.jpg

Method: All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's FR.com method. My relative overall output numbers are typically similar to his, although generally a little lower. You can directly compare all my review graphs - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another.

Throw values are the square-root of lux measurements taken at 1m using a light meter.

Summary Chart for 2650mAh NiMH on Hi

CLESummary.gif

Runtimes:
"Hi" mode on NiMH (Duracell 2650mAh)
CLE-NiMH.gif

Hi/Med/Lo modes on Alkaline Duracells
CLE-Hi.gif

CLE-Med.gif

CLE-Lo.gif

C-LE v.2.0 Mini-review:

General observations:

PWM: Both DX X.V and C-LE v1 use 73Hz PWM for lower modes, which is very noticeable, IMO. C-LE v1.2 & v2.0 both use 317Hz, which is not noticeable to me in everyday use.
Memory: C-LE v1.2 and v2.0 both have 2sec memory mode - light flashes to notify you last setting used will be retained
Interface: DX X.V, C-LE v1 and v1.2 all used a head twisty UI. The new C-LE v2.0 uses the a clicky switch (identical to one used on JB MkIIX series).

CLE1.jpg

CLE2.jpg

Presentation
  • The new C-LE v2.0 comes in a much nicer package ("Civilian Series" indeed :laughing:).
  • Now includes authentication features, such as a holographic QC control seal on the box, and warranty card inside with model and serial number.
  • Package includes a couple of extra red o-rings and a wrist-strap. But like many, it is too small to fit around an adult wrist. This one features a built-in alligator clip to allow you to attach it to things - but it doesn't seem to work very well (I thought it was broken at first, but now realize it does work with some extra manual effort to open the clamp). No big loss, since I don't see myself using it anyway.

CLE4.jpg

Build
  • Thanks to the new tail switch, the light is little longer than previous versions, but can still tailstand.
  • The new reverse clicky tailcap is identical to the JB MkIIX series. You soft-press the switch to change modes, rather than rapidly twist the head. Note that the tail threads are anodized, so you can still use this light as twisty by twisting the tailcap instead of the head.
  • The tailcap has a slight exterior anodizing mismatch to the body on my sample, and the edges around the wrist strap attachment point are rather sharp.
  • The head is basically the same as the earlier v1.2, although no foam spacer is provided any longer (the spring in the tailcap applies more than sufficient pressure to prevent battery rattle).
  • The new v2.0 will work with v1.2 body tubes, but the v1.2 head will NOT make proper contact with the new v2.0 body tube. There seems to be a slight change in tolerances for contact.

Output
  • Since the new C-LE v2.0 uses the same head as the v1.2, I didn't expect major differences between these versions. Both my v1.2 and v2.0 head use Cree emitters with 4 bond wires instead of 3, raising the prospect that they have Q2 emitters instead of the earlier P4.
  • In fact, output on v2.0 was virtually identical to v1.2 in all modes with similar runtime, athough runtime was increased in lower modes by 10-20% on v2.0.
  • The drop-off at the end of the runs seem less severe on the new v2.0 over v1.2, perserving at least a bit of a "moon mode" now. v2.0 also shows flashing of the emitter shortly before total shutdown.
  • On Low, both C-LE v1.2/v2.0 have about twice the output of earlier versions.
  • Memory mode on twisty v1.2 was prone to contact errors if the threads weren't kept clean. I haven't noticed any problems yet on clicky v2.0

Conclusion:
  • There is no point in upgrading to v2.0 from v1.2 if you are seeking higher output or runtime. Output was virtually identical, and runtime was only marginally increased, especially in lower modes.
  • Both v1.2 & v2.0 are a considerable upgrade over the earlier versions, since the newer lights come with a memory mode, much less noticeable PWM, thicker threads, and greater output on low.
  • Main advantage of v2.0 is the high quality reverse clicky switch, which makes switching modes more reliable than the v1.2. But it also makes the light marginally longer. A worthwhile revision, IMO. :thumbsup:
  • In the end, it simply comes down to your preference for clicky (v2.0) over twisty (v1.2). Note that you can still run v2.0 as a twisty, by twisting the tailcap with the clicky in the "on" position.

There you have it. If you want to see how this light fares against the competition, please see my Multi-stage AA review. :wave:

Last edited:

onthebeam

Enlightened
Selfbuilt, YOU DA MAAN!!!! Thank you for your Selfbuilt Selfless time involved in doing these wonderful, extremely helpful tests. If we gave out medals here, your CPF uniform would be dripping with them, General Selfbuilt, Sir, YesSir!

LG&M

Enlightened
Selfbulit thanks for the work you do for us.:thumbsup:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! Are any of the heads interchangeable between revisions? IE: can I put a rev 2.0 head on a 1.0 Jetbeam C-LE?

Anarchocap

Enlightened
I received my C-LE v2.0 this weekend and I have to say I'm impressed with it given the price.

My plastic clip also did not work correctly. It would lock but not open without manual intervention. However, I don't care about it anyway, and I just removed it from the lanyard.

I was going to go with a Fenix something or other, but I decided to try Jetbeam out after I saw the company making strides in improving their product and quality.

In my honest opinion, its worth the money.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Wow, that generated a lot of interest! Glad you all enjoyed the review. :)

Thanks for the review! Are any of the heads interchangeable between revisions? IE: can I put a rev 2.0 head on a 1.0 Jetbeam C-LE?
v1 (and earlier DX version) have a different diameter thickness, and so are not compatible with v1.2/v2.0 heads. The new v2.0 head will work on a v1.2 body, but not the other way around (i.e. a v1.2 head will NOT work on new v2.0 body). There seems to be a slight difference in how the body makes contact with the head.

My plastic clip also did not work correctly. It would lock but not open without manual intervention. However, I don't care about it anyway, and I just removed it from the lanyard. ... In my honest opinion, its worth the money.
Actually, that's exactly the same issue with my clip. I dunno, maybe it is supposed to work like that? :thinking: In any case, not very trustworthy. But I agree with you that the light is very much worth the money - perfect for that budding flasholic on a budget.

BTW, one thing the package lacks is a belt pouch. If you want to pick one up, it fits perfectly into a Fenix L1T/L1D size pouch (widely available at all the Fenix vendors here). A cheaper option is the Ultrafire nylon pouch (like the one sold here), designed for C3. Note that the elastic is a bit looser on the Ultrafire pouches, so they don't fit the light as snuggly.

Last edited:

Gaffle

Enlightened
These C-LE lights just look tough. I like that. Bring it on!!!

BTW, GJ Selfbuilt. I enjoy your reviews. Keep them coming.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
These C-LE lights just look tough. I like that. Bring it on!!!

BTW, GJ Selfbuilt. I enjoy your reviews. Keep them coming.

The C-LE knurling feels great to touch. The light feels way heavier and the metal somehow feels tougher and higher quality than my Fenix, and many times tougher than my cheaper Fenix-lookalike DX lights.

Very high quality stuff for the dollar. Trying to justify buying a black one and becoming a JETBeam collector. If they come out with another Jet-U AAA I don't think I'll be able to hold back.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great work Selfbuilt. I EDC my Jetbeam C-LE [v1] and love its small size and efficiency. The v2 only looks a bit longer, so I'll pick up a few [they make great gifts]. I only wish the low setting on the v2 was the same output as the v1 - it's already bright enough for a low.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'd also like to see a lower low in the v2.0. I really like my v1.0, but often will grab the Rexlight because its low is less than the C-LE while having a slightly higher high.

Geoff

onthebeam

Enlightened
I'll posting two new JetBeam C-LE v2.0 for sale today in the Marketplace if anyone is interested. Since this is not the place for selling, please check there.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would love to see a beamshot VS a Fenix L1D-CE.

Is the reflector smooth or stipple on the jet??