(Vote) What aluminum reflector for Maglite? SMO, OP, or SMO/OP hybird?

What type of reflector would you like to use in your Maglite C/D and why? (MC)

• OP

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • SMO

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • OP/SMO hybird

Votes: 37 42.0%

• Total voters

kaidomain

Newly Enlightened
What type of reflector would you like to use in your Maglite C/D and why?

1) SMO (smooth)
2) OP (orange peel)
3) SMO/OP hybird (orange peel near the bulb, and rest of it is smooth)

:popcorn:

kaidomain

Newly Enlightened
I am actually a little confused about the advantage of SMO/OP hybird. What does it actually do the beam?

I know OP gives smoother hot spot, more spill; SMO gives strong throw, less spill; hybird gives smoother hot spot, less spill?

:poke:

When using CREE drop-in, I would assume OP would be the most popular. What is the best reflector type for WA1185 or similar?

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smooth without cam, or one variety with cam and one without, that way the one without would be usable for led modded Mäglites with a heatsink insert. Smooth for throw, Mägs have plenty of spill even with smooth reflectors.
Stefan

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
It really depends entirely on the light source, the quality of the beam you need, how much throw, shape and size of the reflector, etc.

Scattergun

Enlightened
I really like the ones you are carrying now, big hole and cammed makes for a nice variety of bulbs to be used! A OP would be nice to smooth out some artifacts though.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
I am actually a little confused about the advantage of SMO/OP hybird. What does it actually do the beam?

I know OP gives smoother hot spot, more spill; SMO gives strong throw, less spill; hybird gives smoother hot spot, less spill?

:poke:

When using CREE drop-in, I would assume OP would be the most popular. What is the best reflector type for WA1185 or similar?

If I had to guess, I say the hybrid tries to be the best of both worlds. It's OP at critical regions to smooth out the rings, and smooth in regions that are pretty even for better throw.

eprom

Newly Enlightened
Hi Kai,

I wish you will sale this reflectors, so I am in for 3xHybrid. (I have also ordered SMO's from you, waiting for the parcel service today)

Artisan Bill

Newly Enlightened
Hi Kai,

I voted for OP as my preference is for beam quality over throw. On my Mag85 I like to decrease the focus and not have rings a lot of the time.

However I would certainly purchase a hybrid SMO/OP to try it out. I have not much experience with hybrid designs except for a light with a luxeon side emitter and the hybrid really makes a nice beam.

Please Please Please source a range of reflectors for both LED and incan in a range of sizes. I have far more need for LED reflectors than optics.

Thanks for starting this thread

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really prefer OP reflector becouse of the beam quality...but this is just IMO...

I think that you have to choose the reflector that you need...if you need throw use a SMO if not use an OP:thumbsup:

Illum

Flashaholic
I'd prefer OP over smooth for beam quality, sure you lose throw and a generally more expensive reflector...but hey, you lose some you gain some

I don't see the point of a hybrid unless it can be created to have excellent throw and peripheral flood from one light.....

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a hybrid in one of my Cybalite (Nuwai) C-cell Lux III. It seems to be a perfect fusion of smooth beam, yet with excellent throw. It has amazed me that others have not adopted this.

Having said that, my FiveMega Medium Orange Peel reflector is fantastic.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP, for me. I like a nice, smooth, wide beam.

Are we all going to see the $5 dollar (shipped!) aluminum reflectors we've been waiting for? lol

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
New to luxery flashlights, the only OP I have is an L0D and I like it. The only SMOs I have are all Mags, and I dislike them all. So OP if it fixes the beam quality and hybrid if it fixes the beam quality.

Answer: whichever throws the most light while ALSO smoothing the beam. And thank you for checking with us, I'm ready to buy 6!

Last edited:

Brozneo

Enlightened
OP because I want a smooth beam which has abit of spill as well, I find smooth reflectors in the mags with the WA1111 and 1185 leave the beam with a nasty filament smuge!

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a light OP and a medium OP for my Mags. Of course, I've got a stock reflector or two lying around as well. I prefer the MOP in nearly every situation.

redlaw55

Newly Enlightened
I would like to see what most people need, a new LED reflector for the Maglite. One that will wrap around the 1W, 3W, and 5W LEDs, and also fit a drop-in module. (This would not be a design for P7 and larger LEDs).

:whistle:

Last edited:

mitch79

Newly Enlightened
Voted SMO/OP hybrid.
Just enough orange peel to remove the doughnut hole whilst maximising throw with multi-emitter LED's. (Edit: Oops, just realised this is in the Incan forum, oh well :p)
I've used both cutdown Mag SMO reflectors and KD OP reflectors. Something in between would be ideal IMO.

Last edited: