Regulated ORB

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not very likely...
I have my reasons, if interested read on...

Since all the Lummi Lights focus on Li-ion rechargeable batteries 3.7 Volt. The LED itself requires very close to this 3.7 volts. So ideal.
Then the Li-ion cell has a very good steady discharge rate. A recent independent review of the Wee which uses the tiniest 10180 Li-ion rechargeable cell available quoted that the Wee could be considered a semi regulated flashlight.
See here for full review: http://www.cpfreviews.com/Orb-Wee-NS.php

We do use resistors for lowering the current draw from the LED to increase run times & lower the brightness. Other than that it is all very simple. Some like the KISS approach best. Reliability also should be considered here.

To end with, I have used this example recently. As appealing as it is to have a light that when you switch it on stays just as bright for the duration of the battery. This can not be that great for the rechargeable cell.
Say you had an almost empty tank of fuel & the Fuel station was 10 miles away. To stand any chance of making it you would drive the most economically possible. If you did floor it your chances of doing the 10 miles would be reduced.

My views on Regulation are based on my lights I produce. Do not get me wrong. I love Data's Spy & the Full regulation through all the levels is brilliant. I believe this light is designed to run on two 3 volt non rechargeable CR123's. So other than lights designed to run of Primaries I do wonder if there is any point complicating the electronics.....

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not very likely...
I have my reasons, if interested read on...

Since all the Lummi Lights focus on Li-ion rechargeable batteries 3.7 Volt. The LED itself requires very close to this 3.7 volts. So ideal.
Then the Li-ion cell has a very good steady discharge rate. A recent independent review of the Wee which uses the tiniest 10180 Li-ion rechargeable cell available quoted that the Wee could be considered a semi regulated flashlight.
See here for full review: http://www.cpfreviews.com/Orb-Wee-NS.php

We do use resistors for lowering the current draw from the LED to increase run times & lower the brightness. Other than that it is all very simple. Some like the KISS approach best. Reliability also should be considered here.

To end with, I have used this example recently. As appealing as it is to have a light that when you switch it on stays just as bright for the duration of the battery. This can not be that great for the rechargeable cell.
Say you had an almost empty tank of fuel & the Fuel station was 10 miles away. To stand any chance of making it you would drive the most economically possible. If you did floor it your chances of doing the 10 miles would be reduced.

My views on Regulation are based on my lights I produce. Do not get me wrong. I love Data's Spy & the Full regulation through all the levels is brilliant. I believe this light is designed to run on two 3 volt non rechargeable CR123's. So other than lights designed to run of Primaries I do wonder if there is any point complicating the electronics.....

Thanks for the respone, I understand.

Best of luck

brotherbob

Banned
I already have a regulated orb (regulated =controlled or supervised) My wife controlled and supervised mine right into her purse. I see Rob has some Q5's coming I am hoping to get one of those in a CR2 raw.

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the Keep It Simple Sir (KISS) concept. I have more complicated flashlights, but it is nice to know that the simple, reliable Raw Ti will always be there for me when the fancy electronics fail in other lights.