Merkava II Tritium Glowring Compared

Merkava

Newly Enlightened
Greetings Folks,

I have just completed the Merkava II DIY Glowring Project and thought I let you guys take a peek and what it looks like against the exsisting Nite and Merkava DIY Glowrings.
BTW, The Merkava II has a clear body if you haven't noticed it already.

All comments are welcome.:thumbsup:

IMG_1319.JPG

Top:Nite Glowring Left:Merkava II DIY Glowring Right:Merkava DIY Glowring

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG

Nite Glowring against fine print. Noticeable light loss thru it's green tinted shell.

IMG_1327.JPG

Merkava II DIY Glowring against fine print. Brighter and more intense. No "Aura". Print area barely lit.

IMG_1328.JPG

Merkava DIY Glowring against fine print. Almost as bright as the Merkava II.
Notice the 'Aura' of light created by the silicone and the larger area of the print lit.

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the IIs look fantastic and clear. Finally a great one-stop solution to buy custom tritium glow rings without having to source our own clear casings.

I've been meaning to order a couple or three.. will probably do so soon. Glad these came out now! :D

C

cykovisuals

These looks very nice, let us know when they go on sale! :thumbsup:

palopez100

Newly Enlightened
Hi Merkava,

I have received the nite glowring. All perfect.
I want to buy a new Merkava II but, i don´t know the available colours.
I would to buy one white.

greetings

Merkava

Newly Enlightened
The Merkava I & II DIY Glowrings are put together by hand. The Mk.I is approximately 5mm x 28mm and the Mk. II is 5mm x 33mm in size.
Both Mk. I & Mk. II are smaller than the Nite Tritium Glowrings and slightly brighter due to it's translucent and clear shell. IMHO, the tritium vial inside the Mk. I is more break/crack resistant than the Regular Nite Tritium Glowrings when dropped or thrown due to it's protective layer of silicone which absorb shocks and vibrations and does not rattle.
The Mk. II is just a tritium tube inside a clear tube without any silicone.
So long as you don't consciously abuse them like crushing, bending or use it as a lever to pry stuff, the Merkava I and II DIY glowrings should be able to withstand all the "normal" abuse your keyring in your pocket goes thru every day.

Merkava, how do the DIY and DIY II bodies compare in terms of protecting the trit? Better than, same, worse ,etc.?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Merkava

Newly Enlightened
palopez100, the Merkava II glowrings are available in green and blue.

Hi Merkava,

I have received the nite glowring. All perfect.
I want to buy a new Merkava II but, i don´t know the available colours.
I would to buy one white.

greetings

Last edited:

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it be correct to rank the glowrings like this?

Bending resistance: highest Nite, MkII, MkI lowest
Shock resistance: highest MkI, Nite, MKII lowest
Size: largest Nite, MkII, MkI smallest
Output: brightest MkII, MkI, Nite dimmest

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had original DIYs on my everyday keys, pocket lights (L0D and ARC aaa) around the house lights, sisters and wifes keys, etc -- all for more than a year. Mine get rough treatment. I have not broken one. I have had two Nite cases break, prior to going to the DIYs.

Honestly -- I'm not addicted to trit -- but with poor vision, just makes my life way easier.

Merkava

Newly Enlightened
Bending resistance: highest Nite, Mk. II, Mk. I lowest (Mk I is quite hard once the silicone has set)
Shock resistance to tritium vial: highest Mk. I, Mk. II, Nite lowest
Output: brightest MkII, MkI, Nite dimmest (Mk. I and Mk. II hardly any difference. Mk II has an "aura" of light, look at 5th pic above.

Would it be correct to rank the glowrings like this?
Bending resistance: highest Nite, MkII, MkI lowest
Shock resistance: highest MkI, Nite, MKII lowest
Output: brightest MkII, MkI, Nite dimmest

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Nice. How about making some much smaller glowrings, based on 5mm markers? The full size ones are way brighter than I need for locators.

Merkava

Newly Enlightened
Here's a testament to the strength and durability of the Merkava I DIY Glowrings...Good for you, Bigiron :wave:. I know some of these are in" I-rack" but I have yet to hear from the users yet.
I've had original DIYs on my everyday keys, pocket lights (L0D and ARC aaa) around the house lights, sisters and wifes keys, etc -- all for more than a year. Mine get rough treatment. I have not broken one. I have had two Nite cases break, prior to going to the DIYs.
Honestly -- I'm not addicted to trit -- but with poor vision, just makes my life way easier.

Merkava

Newly Enlightened
paulr, they are in the planning stage...:sssh:
Nice. How about making some much smaller glowrings, based on 5mm markers? The full size ones are way brighter than I need for locators.

robertl

Newly Enlightened
Merkava,

I send you 28$ through paypal for one of your dark blue glowrings, with the insured shipping.

Thanks,

~Robert

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Robert! :welcome:.

It is customary to post ordering information in the appropriate sales thread in the MP. Enjoy your glowring!

LEDAdd1ct

petllama

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Robert! :welcome:.It is customary to post ordering information in the appropriate sales thread in the MP. Enjoy your glowring!LEDAdd1ct
I was hoping to order 3-4 of these, but MP seems down and i would like to get these in time for chirstmas gifts. May i PM you to get the ball rolling on an order? i can pay via paypal immediately//petllama

cfyeung

Newly Enlightened
Greetings Folks,

I have just completed the Merkava II DIY Glowring Project and thought I let you guys take a peek and what it looks like against the exsisting Nite and Merkava DIY Glowrings.
BTW, The Merkava II has a clear body if you haven't noticed it already.

All comments are welcome.:thumbsup:

IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG

Nite Glowring against fine print. Noticeable light loss thru it's green tinted shell.

IMG_1327.JPG

Merkava II DIY Glowring against fine print. Brighter and more intense. No "Aura". Print area barely lit.

IMG_1328.JPG

Merkava DIY Glowring against fine print. Almost as bright as the Merkava II.
Notice the 'Aura' of light created by the silicone and the larger area of the print lit.