Click to visit Lumintop new flashlights!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Led lights with infinitely variable brightness?

Flashaholic

Default Led lights with infinitely variable brightness?

Just wondering which current led lights out there, preferably in the EDC category have a rotating knob that controls the brightness level.

I'm pretty sure the gatlight v3 had/has this type of brightness control and whilest I never liked that light, I love the feature itself and want at least one light in my collection to have it.

Any suggestions?
    AE PL-24 HID, ELEKTROLUMENS 'LITTLE FRIEND', P4 MODDED LED LENSER 7438 'HOCUS FOCUS', DIMMING LED LENSER 7798, LRI PROTON, FENIX P1-CE, FENIX L2D-R100, TIABLO A8-Q5 ECT ECT

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Led lights with infinitely variable brightness?

The only light I can think of that truly has an infinitely variable knob controlled brightness is the Peak First Responder - which is a pretty serious duty light with a whole ton of output on high. Cool light but not inexpensive.

Flashaholic*

The surefire Titan has it as well, although again, not cheap.
    List of flashlights that used to be here has been removed (by me) to save our search function. NOW USE IT.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    The only light I can think of that truly has an infinitely variable knob controlled brightness is the Peak First Responder - which is a pretty serious duty light with a whole ton of output on high. Cool light but not inexpensive.
    Wow, that is a very nice light! And I'd never heard of it. A worthy consideration if I can't find anything smaller. Its actually reasonably priced in my opinion ($195). Thanks for the heads up.
    AE PL-24 HID, ELEKTROLUMENS 'LITTLE FRIEND', P4 MODDED LED LENSER 7438 'HOCUS FOCUS', DIMMING LED LENSER 7798, LRI PROTON, FENIX P1-CE, FENIX L2D-R100, TIABLO A8-Q5 ECT ECT

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by scottaw View Post
    The surefire Titan has it as well, although again, not cheap.
    Hmm indeed it does. I actually know of this light but couldnt bring myself to spend $500+ on a 65 lumens. Thanks for the suggestion though...

Gatlight!

I think the Liteflux LF2-5 lights have around 250 light levels. Not infinity but enough for it to be hard to see the difference between the levels.

Photon Freedom doesn't have a knob, but it is infinitely variable.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner12 View Post
    Gatlight!

I think the Liteflux LF2-5 lights have around 250 light levels. Not infinity but enough for it to be hard to see the difference between the levels.
    The gatlight I knew about Looking for more reasonably priced alternatives...The Peak light mentioned above, for instance, is half the price of the gat and much better all around gatlight. I have read some stuff on the gatlight and people have had problems with the the metal showing signs of wear even after infrequent use. Besides which its too conceptual for my liking - more like bizarre art than a solid, practical edc.

As far as I can tell they do have the feature, but its more for the purpose of selecting a user defined brightness level. That being,there's a fairly complex fenix type interface and once you are in a certain mode you can vary the light level manually. It all seems a little cumbersome for my liking as it's not a readily available feature. Look for the lf2 video on youtube you'll see what I mean. Thanks for the liteflux suggestion though

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    Photon Freedom doesn't have a knob, but it is infinitely variable.
    Got one on my keychain! The problem is, the highest level isn't all that bright, so the feature is sorta redundant by default... haha

The VB-16 has 32 levels, no dial but 2 buttons(+,-) with a forward clicky to turn on and off. It can be had for $35.

Flashaholic

Cool, thanks. If I cant find a gatlight style 'turn knob' edc I will likely look at this option.

Somebody on one of these forums mentioned some new lights made by Coast that had that feature. I am not sure how much they sold for but if I had a guess it would be around $50.00.

Flashaholic

Mind pointing me in the direction of which Coasts have this feature? I looked but couldn't find any...

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Photongun View Post
    Mind pointing me in the direction of which Coasts have this feature? I looked but couldn't find any...
    There is a mini review in FlashLightReviews:
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...-up.htm#LL7468
    Last edited by Stromberg; 10-11-2007 at 07:53 AM.

I also can no longer find the thread. I looked on Coast's web page and it was not listed. Maybe someone had made a tailcap for some Coast lights with a rotating variable output control. That is the photo I saw when I read the article a few weeks back. I would have sworn it was a new Coast model though!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    The VB-16 has 32 levels, no dial but 2 buttons(+,-) with a forward clicky to turn on and off. It can be had for $35.
    cool. can i get a link?
    how many lumens on high?
    6d rop high 4dmag tri-cree 4d mag penta q5 (fs)
    mte seoul aa 3aa magled q5mod fenix l0d q4 on 10440s
    fenix l2d q5 fenix l2d rebel 100 3dmag w/monsterthrowIII

Guys,Your Dream will come true soon

Flashaholic

Aww come on now, don't make a cryptic remark like that and choose to not elaborate further! I can see you are new to this forum so better to stem bad habits at their inception.

That isn't how us CPF'ers operate. We are all here to share our passion for light emitting devices and to help one another selflessly when need be. Try that angle instead...

I have a good source that says Surefire is working on a cheaper version of the Titan but how much cheaper I don't know.

BigD64

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsmaglites View Post
    cool. can i get a link?
    how many lumens on high?
    Here's a couple of links: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2392 or http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2686
    Last edited by Steve L; 10-11-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Flashaholic

Here's the thread on the Coast light w/ this feature. A link to the Coast model is in Post #9.

<http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=174181&highlight=7798>

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Glow_Worm View Post
    Here's the thread on the Coast light w/ this feature. A link to the Coast model is in Post #9.

<http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=174181&highlight=7798>
    Nice! Thanks for that - another worthy consideration! Unfortunately its not edc size but still cool. I already have a modded 7438 so I can exchange the tail to get this feature which is awesome.

So far the list for lights available with infinite/extreme brightness adjustability is as follows:

1)Peak First Responder (knob adjustment)
    2)Surefire Titan (knob adjustment)
    3)Various Liteflux models (cycles through to appropriate mode required)
    4)Photon Freedom/Photon Rex (press and hold digital brightness ramping)
    5)VB-16 Dealextreme light with 32 brightness levels (press and hold digital brightness ramping)
    6)Gatlight v3 (knob adjustment)
    7)Coast Frogman/Dimm (knob adjustment)
    8)The current AND upcoming (2008) cree based LRI Proton (press and hold digital brightness ramping)
    9)Novatac 120P (press and hold digital brightness ramping)

The list is looking good and hopefully a few more can be added. I still feel the only light with this feature that can be used practically as a edc is the titan. Yikes!
    Last edited by Photongun; 10-11-2007 at 06:48 PM.

Not exactly what your looking for (no adjustment knob), but the NovaTac 85P or 120P have 21 or 22 user programmable levels at $110 or $150 respectively at Lighthound(can't go wrong with the Hound!). The 120P is my current EDC and it's really a great light. http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?...novatac&Page=1

Flashaholic

Hmm you're right! From reading a fairly comprehensive review I've come to understand that the 'click click press' function ramps the brightness up and down. 22 levels is pretty damn adjustable in my book so it should go on the list!

Thanks for the suggestion. If only it was a liiittttle bit smaller. Still, a worthy consideration.
    Last edited by Photongun; 10-11-2007 at 06:43 PM.

Looked at these little edcs thoroughly. From what I can gather, they have 22 levels to cycle through in order to choose a preset but you can't fluently cycle through those modes with ease for general use... Or can you?
    I don't know if it's fluidly, but 2 quick clicks and a press(hold button down) starts the light ramping up levels let go when you get to desired brightness. Once letting go of the clicky, if you repeat the process it ramps down levels.
    Last edited by Steve L; 10-11-2007 at 06:49 PM.

Hmm you're right! From reading a fairly comprehensive review I've come to understand that the 'click click press' function ramps the brightness up and down. 22 levels is pretty damn adjustable in my book so it should go on the list!

Thanks for the suggestion. If only it was a liiittttle bit smaller. Still, a worthy consideration.
    It's really not much bigger than a Fenix P2D here's a link to a picture with both lights(and more) for comparison:http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...89&postcount=1

Flashaholic

If I can't find a edc with knob adjustability (titan *cringe*) I'd definately consider the novatac. Maybe I'll just buy a novatac for the hell of it because its such a fine little light and still continue on with my pursuit for a knob adjustable edc (titan *cringe*)

You might want to have a look at the upcoming Proton: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=172762
    Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Flashaholic

YEP! Thats already on the above list. Thanks anyway.

Flashaholic*

If user adjustable levels (rather than infinitely adjustable levels) any light with a Flupic board installed (the main candidates for drop ins that I can recall were the Jil CR2/JCR2, the Nuwai Q3, the Exolion, and I believe TNC custom lights have some drop in or premade modules) have a fairly wide range of user adjustable settings - but it is a set it and forget it kind of operation (much like the Liteflux and the Arc 4/HDS but apparently not the Novatac which has an easier access to the user levels).

I just got a Jil JCR2 IT and have been playing with it a bit, interesting UI with a fair amount of flexibility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast