Gladius?

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
So I thought I was done with my light purchase for a whilw...
Untill I rediscoverd the Gladius!
This light seems to be a very nice light! I havent handled one IRL but have looked at the videos on their web page. Of course one might wonder if they are going to upgrade their Gladius any time soon? But I cant find any info on this, as usual I get "error" when searching the forums after info on this light. Could someone tell me more about this or direct me to a helpful thread please!
:)

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too many threads...in short...a great light. There were some tailcap issues, all long since solved. There's a very worthwhile mod for an SSC P4 emitter, highly recommended. UI is great and very flexible. Criticisms of the drill for removing and replacing the tailcap are in my opinion vastly overblown - a few reps with the light will convince you that you should be able to do it under stress, in the dark and upside down (all at the same time) with no problems.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
They say 85 lumen on high. How is that compared to the L1 cree? Is it big diffrence? I really liked the UI on the Gladius, it seems very good.
But I donr wanna rush to buy one if they are gonna realese a newere better in a near future.

gorn

Enlightened
When you decide to pull the trigger and get a Gladius I would suggest that you buy the Insight Typhoon version of it. It is exactly the same except for brand marking but is a lot less expensive. I have one of each and love them. The Typhoon has been kicking around Iraq with my Son for about a year and has never let him down.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about the numbers, but even before I had the SSC P4 mod done my Gladius was way brighter than my L1 Cree.

Ken Good, who was the prime mover behind the Gladius, has moved on to HID projects. I would not be surprised if the Gladius didn't get any further product development, though I could certainly be wrong. However, for what it is and in its product segment, it will be a while before someone improves on it enough to make a genuine practical difference. Get the P4 mod done and you'll be good to go for a while.

DevL

Newly Enlightened
You can currently buy a premodded with a P4 Seoul in your Gladius direct from Ken at NightOps through Strategos. My Seouled Gladius has more brightness and throw than my Rebel 100 L2D. A noticable amount more. The Rebel 100 is a bit warmer though. I had to pay $55 in duties sending mine to Canada to get it modded on top of the cost of modding. If you have an Insight Typhoon they will mod that at Strategos as well.

http://www.order-gear.com/subcatmfgprod-nop.asp?0=973&1=1368&2=-1

Last edited:

Finrod

Newly Enlightened
You can currently buy a premodded with a P4 Seoul in your Gladius direct from Ken at NightOps through Strategos. My Seouled Gladius has more brightness and throw than my Rebel 100 L2D. A noticable amount more. The Rebel 100 is a bit warmer though. I had to pay $55 in duties sending mine to Canada to get it modded on top of the cost of modding. If you have an Insight Typhoon they will mod that at Strategos as well.

http://www.order-gear.com/subcatmfgprod-nop.asp?0=973&1=1368&2=-1

This is great news. I go away for 15 months and the flashlight universe as i knew it is obsolete. Now I "must" upgrade my gladius, get the Fenix/cree lines and Thunder AX. ;)

Question: Does thunder have strobe functionality yet?

thanks

Talas

Newly Enlightened
The Gladius has one of the best user interfaces out there and is one of my favorite lights, however... I STRONGLY suggest holding off on the upgrade for now. I sent mine in August and got back a badly scratched reflector, grossly off-center emitter (the beam looked like a half-moon and the bottom of the reflector was crushed against the emitter) and a noticeable but not substantial increase in overall brightness. The work looked like it was done by an amateur and I was horrified at what had been done to my expensive light! The folks at Blackhawk immediately arranged for return shipping and promised to correct the problem. Their rep shared that the work was done by contract and that unfortunately, my issues were not isolated and that they were currently reviewing their relationship with that company. I have no doubt that Blackhawk will correct the problem, however, my light has been out for over two months. I would wait for more positive reviews from people who have actually had the upgrade done.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
It really seems to be a good light, but theres two thing that puts me off a bit. First thing is from Flashlight Reviews regarding the battery change. But after having looked at the videos above Im not sure anymore about that issue. Second thing is, I could get a brighter light For less money, BUT not with this UI, which is the main reason I like this light.
And theres a third kinda... I just bought the new L1 and cant fond this light for some time. Theres just to many lights out there... I guess a flasaholic is never satisfye.. :)

Gladius01

Enlightened
I have two Gladius and one modified by GladiusX1 ( PM him if he still doing it) and am ver happy with the worked. No scratch or dust in the lens. All in all give out more lumens then the original Gladius.

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
i have a gladius modified by icarus.....
wonderfull.....
it's my best flashlight....
Regarding the battery change. no problems. and the bat will not "shut down" suddenly during a gunfight.....so i'm not sure that somebody have one day to change the bat under stress that they forgot to be carrefull with the bat change process....

The UI is the best, and i'm very unhappy to read that Gladius didn't get any further product development.......:crazy:

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I think i will buy it someday, just not right now since Im all tapt out on lightcash :(

It really seems to be a nice UI, It looks like it could be the closest to the perfect UI for me!

Finrod

Newly Enlightened
The Gladius has one of the best user interfaces out there and is one of my favorite lights, however... I STRONGLY suggest holding off on the upgrade for now. I sent mine in August and got back a badly scratched reflector, grossly off-center emitter (the beam looked like a half-moon and the bottom of the reflector was crushed against the emitter) and a noticeable but not substantial increase in overall brightness. The work looked like it was done by an amateur and I was horrified at what had been done to my expensive light! The folks at Blackhawk immediately arranged for return shipping and promised to correct the problem. Their rep shared that the work was done by contract and that unfortunately, my issues were not isolated and that they were currently reviewing their relationship with that company. I have no doubt that Blackhawk will correct the problem, however, my light has been out for over two months. I would wait for more positive reviews from people who have actually had the upgrade done.

Thanks for the info. I guess I shouldn't be wasting money on the upgrade right now, until they figure out quality control issues.

Thunder doesnt have strobe - so thats off my list as well

DevL

Newly Enlightened
They already fixed the issues at the mod facility from what Ken has said so that is a non issue now and people who had scratched reflectors got new ones. Battery changes are easier with the new tailcaps IMO. You will not ruin the light if you do it wrong (like I did with the original tailcap) with the new version. The Seouled Gladius is THE flashlight IMO and there is no reason to delay getting a premodded one or modding your old one.

Gladius01

Enlightened
They already fixed the issues at the mod facility from what Ken has said so that is a non issue now and people who had scratched reflectors got new ones. Battery changes are easier with the new tailcaps IMO. You will not ruin the light if you do it wrong (like I did with the original tailcap) with the new version. The Seouled Gladius is THE flashlight IMO and there is no reason to delay getting a premodded one or modding your old one.

That is good news for people that need to upgrade their Gladius. I'm thinking to do my second Gladius.

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
i realy realy hope that gladius is not dead ant they 'll build a "gladius2" directly with new leds and with rechargeables compatible...

roof

Newly Enlightened
Is the Gladius better than my Lumapower M1 or Inova T4??

I'm a cop from Holland, and use the flashlight for work.

I was looking for the night ops from Gladius??.

zifnab69

Newly Enlightened
hy.
gladius is a very very good flashlight.
But with the seoul mod, it's a killer....
i use it in my job, i never have any problem with it....
for me it's the best flashlight avaiable.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
A SF light and the new SF kit might be a better choice than the gladius, just waiting for it to be realesed...