P D T ??

DanielG

Enlightened
I guess I'm slow.
L2D
L2T
L2P

What do the letters at the end mean? D is digital, but that doesn't tell me much as I don't know what's "digital" about it.

D looks like a higher light output P seems like a lower lumen rating and T seems like it's in between the two. I realize it depends on what bulb and all that is in it, but help?

DanielG

Enlightened
Ack, I forgot about the Ls and the Ps at the beginning of the model number.

DanielG

Enlightened
Okay, I guess I'm looking for a FAQ for newbies.

White Wall Hunter? I have two of the cree Task Force flashlights and one's LED is just barely off center so it has a black donut if you point it at a painted wall but you'd never notice it when using it in the real world. Is that what that means? My other one is centered and throws light completely within its circle with no gaps or rings other than the center focused ring and the outer, dimmer ring. No line between them.

Marduke

Flashaholic
No problem. Try using the search function to find what you're looking for. Searching titles for "FAQ" turns up all sorts of interesting topics, and one of them is for the Welcome Mat

DanielG

Enlightened
No problem. Try using the search function to find what you're looking for. Searching titles for "FAQ" turns up all sorts of interesting topics, and one of them is for the Welcome Mat

Oh, I've been searching the dog snot out of things. I've found almost everything I've looked for except those letter designations. Still haven't found those.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found almost everything I've looked for except those letter designations. Still haven't found those.

I didn't know the first letter meant anything. The D for digital was added to the first P1 models to have multiple digitally controlled levels. There was the single level P1, the luxeon (that's right, luxeon) P1D, and the Cree P1D CE, which was the first production light to have that emitter. I think it breaks down to:
E means AAA lights
L means AA lights
P means cr123 lights

DanielG

Enlightened
I didn't know the first letter meant anything. The D for digital was added to the first P1 models to have multiple digitally controlled levels. There was the single level P1, the luxeon (that's right, luxeon) P1D, and the Cree P1D CE, which was the first production light to have that emitter. I think it breaks down to:
E means AAA lights
L means AA lights
P means cr123 lights

That's what I thought they meant too, and they almost always follow that, but the L0P uses one 1.5V AAA battery.

Seems the digital gives you the blinky SOS mode. Still don't have a clue about P and T at the end, though.

I've caught the CE being CREE :D

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the L meant Luxeon at first.

The first endings:
D means digital, multimodes.
T or S means the head can be loosened for low.
P was a Luxeon LED, it stood for premium.

The second Ending:
No ending means Luxeon LED
CE means Cree XR-E LED
Rebel or RB means Luxeon Rebel LED
V2.0 means Rebel 80 LED for the T series and Luxeon III for the P series.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the T as in L1T or L2T (v1) indicated the 3 watt T bin luxeon.

The earlier L1P and L1S were the 1 watt luxeons.
The P was the more expensive premium model of the two.

There was a L2Pv2, also a luxeon.

The L1T/L2T v2's are Rebels.

Last edited:

GregWormald

Enlightened
Hey, they're model numbers, not designations. Just like in cars where the initials meant something to begin with, now they label so the label itself sounds neat.
Marketing!
Greg

DanielG

Enlightened
Hey, they're model numbers, not designations. Just like in cars where the initials meant something to begin with, now they label so the label itself sounds neat.
Marketing!
Greg

Oh, I can live with that easily. It would be nice if they (each of the manufacturers) had something stating that though. It looks like it's too organized to be "just" model numbers.

I believe I'm going to have to mentally file it under "things that drive me crazy because there SHOULD be a rhyme or reason for this but isn't"

Thanks everyone for the input.