suvlights.com

Has anyone purchased from this site/company before? I am looking at HID options for my Jeep, and their X6054 kit looks like a good fit. It would be nearly a drop-in replacement (i'd have to stick the ballast somewhere), and it would be 100% street legal. The site looks a bit shifty, but the product is from a trusted name in lighting, and the prices look right.

Anyone have anything to say about their service?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an Acro X990 HID from them, and many moons ago helped them with a discounted sales thread here at CPF.

I do not know about their service after the sale. I did get the impression that it was more or less a warehouse type operation where their interest was more geared toward shipping out mass quantities of merchandise than chewing the fat on the phone with a customer for a while. They are legit, tho, and did ship promptly.

march.jpg

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you be putting in a new reflector to go with the new type of bulb?

I'm looking at the Sylvania Xenarc X6054, it's a complete drop-in H6054 replacement, with HID specific lens, Sylvania 4,100k D1r low beam, and H3 halogen high beam. The package is DOT certified.

One other option I am considering is buying Hella projectors, but I'd have to do a bit of fabrication to get them to mount and aim properly, and look good.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have those Sylvania Xenarc HID sealed beam replacements ? I though they were discontinued a while ago.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The Sylvnania Xenarc kits were discontinued for a very good reason: They're trash, poorly made in Taiwan by a (nominal) contractor with a basement workshop (no exaggeration) who would've been hard-pressed to produce a quality glovebox light and was way over his head to develop an optical instrument as complex as a headlamp. This was supposed to be a product that would jumpstart North America's relatively low interest in HID headlamps. It backfired spectacularly for Sylvania, because of the very poor performance and even worse durability. Lenses yellowed/clouded within weeks or months and fell off shortly after that, bulb shields fell off and rattled around inside the lamp, water got in. And because there was no qualified optical engineering in their design, they tended to do bad things like fail photometric compliance tests. Then there were the other issues (such as X5006 5-3/4" round units that arrived from Taiwan with the locating lugs in the wrong place on the plastic frame. Rather than reject them, the con artist supplier Sylvania had for some reason got in bed with ground the lugs off with a belt sander and used super glue to affix little plastic nubs on in more or less the right place. A quality product, you betchya! They were remaindered off. The intent was that the buyer would salvage the ballasts and bulbs and discard the lens-reflector units, but instead, the current vendor has filled up his website with a bunch of made-up nonsense about how they're a "second generation" product (false...there was one and only one production run), together with blather about how you can remove the bulb shield to get super-duper extra-great lighting (wrong...all you do is produce dangerous levels of glare and backscatter).

There are options for good lights in a vehicle with large rectangular headlamps. Various vendors sell the "pudgy" BiXenon projector units made by Giant Light of Taiwan (a good deal less awful than the Xenarc junk). The only sealed beams worth buying are the GE Night Hawk H6054NH units. Or you could put in any of several well-made H4 setups.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 to what Scheinwerfermann said about the Xenarc's being garbage. I've looked at a set in person and I wouldn't use them on a golf cart. If you're considering spending that much, at least look into a custom Hella HID module install.

I'd go with some Hella or Cibie Euro-beam conversions, big wires and relays, and some good bulbs. Rallylights.com has decent prices, but danielsternlighting.com has fantastic(and I mean FANTASTIC) customer service and is WELL worth the slight extra cost. Mr. Stern knows his business and is willing to discuss your conversion both before and after the sale.

:buddies:

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thumbs Up for Danielsternlighting...I never ordered from him before, but through our emails his knowledge is top notch and so is his service.

I've also met the owner of SUVlights, I picked up an X990 12volt adaptor from him. Cool guy, also very knowledgable, and if I remember correctly use to work for Phillips

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I've also met the owner of SUVlights, I picked up an X990 12volt adaptor from him. Cool guy, also very knowledgable, and if I remember correctly use to work for Phillips

The owner of SUVlights is a kid named Jen Liu who never worked for Philips. If he made that claim, he was fibbing, but it seems you might be thinking of someone else.

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
*Late to the party*

I bought a set of these headlights back then... the oh so mighty second generation. The beam from them are absolutely horrible. There was a bright Nike "swoosh" hot spot that covered half a lane from each lamp. When driving, you'll have two bright Nike "swooshes" in front of you in your lane. The rest of the lighting was dimmer than regular 6054 halogen lamps and it served no purpose at all since the Nike "swoosh" hot spots pretty much have your eyes adjusted to them. Stay away from the Sylvania Xenarc X6054 from suvlights.com.