HID M@g Project?

PhilM

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I'm new so please be gentle :p

I'm an aircraft engineer and I spend a lot of time working nights. A good torch is essential to my job, and I started with a 3D mag, which was good (so much better than other cheap torches). I've now upgraded it with a MagLED 3D drop in module, which has made a much nicer colour of light, and the batteries now last forever! (I now change them every month, rather than every week!).

Anyway, I'll still be keeping my MagLED 3D torch, but I am very interested in a HID torch now, having seen some of the beamshots on here, they look awesome.

I've a few questions, I've done some basic reading, and seen a few conversions, and would now like to either have someone build me, or build me own HID mag.

I'm not really fussed on size, so 2D or 3D would be fine, people often seem to use the 2Ds? Why not opt for the larger torch? Is it just that you'd end up with the wrong voltage by having the extra cell?

Am I right in my understanding that with something like the Solarc 10W simply you require, a ballast, the bulb, a switch and a powersource? I'm not too familiar in people overdriving them?

Ideally I'd like to keep the light looking standardish, I guess obvious upgrades will be the reflector and the lense.

Anyone got any tips or advice? I am really impressed by the results of this build; https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/154834

Many thanks

Phil

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
had an UK Light Cannon 100 bought some years ago (that time the Solarc was not to be purchased anywhere else).
Got the MR bulb (wide) too.

Finally made the light last winter and am heavily disappointed.
While bright, my single Cree P4 @ 1 A seems equal (but makes a smaller spot, of course) but the main ciritc is, that the HID makes such an awful green light.

Better build Yourself a three or quad Led light, way better light with the same runtime than the HID, the Mag makes the ideal host for such

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not really fussed on size, so 2D or 3D would be fine, people often seem to use the 2Ds? Why not opt for the larger torch? Is it just that you'd end up with the wrong voltage by having the extra cell?

Actually the length of the finished Mag HID is almost inconsequential, since the stock switch assembly is usually removed, plus you won't be using the usual number of D-cells for two main reasons:

1) Most HID ballasts are 12 volt, so you'd need at least 8 D-cells; and
2) Alkalines do not have the performance to satisfactorily drive a relatively heavy load, such as an HID. (HIDs can pull some serious amps for the first few seconds when the lamp is cold.)

Virtually all of the handheld HIDs will use lithium ion cells due to their high power density. These will be about 4.2 volts at full charge, so you only need three or four of them to power a 10 watt HID, and they can run the HID for two hours or more.

One thing of note.... HIDs don't like to run for short periods. "Igniting" the lamp is hard on the bulb and ballast. HIDs prefer longer runs. If you do a lot of flashing, you might consider a bright incandescent or LED, or even a multi-LED. The current crop of high-output LEDs really make for awesome lights, and they're cheap. If you go to the B/S/T forum you'll see heatsinks for mounting multiple LEDs into a Maglite. That'd be an awesome first project, and relatively inexpensive.

Last thing... a 10 watt Welch-Allyn HID ballast won't fit into a Maglite without boring the ID of the light. If you have access to a lathe, this is easy.

PhilM

Newly Enlightened
Cheers guys!

Much appreciated. Do you think I can get beamshots like in the link on my first post using the solarc 10w bulb and ballast?

I'm kind of wanting to do this project just because I can.....and theyre cool ;) I am happy with my LED 3D mag for general work, but want a toy :) I'm sure you guys can sympathise :p

I'm an engineer by trade, so machining etc is no problem.....

From what I gather so far then;

Machine a 2 or 3D mag body out to fit the ballast.
Fit a new lense & reflector.
Fit new battery packs (Lithium Ion being the best)
A new switch.

Also am I right in thinking people are installing voltage regulators aswell? Dc/Dc converters, to output the required 11/12/13v (whichever it is).

Thanks guys

EDIT: Forgot to ask where do you guys get the Solarc 10W lamps and ballasts? and how much are they? Thanks!

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The ballast is pretty much a regualtor for HID so you don't need a separate regulator. Most are placing regulators of a LED mod.

You list seems good. You could also PM or email Nereus about how he built his light and how much it cost him.

You could also upgrade you MagLED to a more efficient Seoul LED(you would get around twice the light).

I don't know about pricing.

:welcome:

PhilM

Newly Enlightened

Been doing more reading, all looks good, been taking measurements etc, formulating a plan :poke:

All I need to do now is find a source for the solarc WA 10W HID, ideally I'd like to find the ..008 part number with the lower 10v voltage. (Though I'll be working things out with regards to numbers of cells before I decide for sure).

I guess I'll see quiet an improvement in light & throw from my 3w MagLED to a 10-11W HID mag? :popcorn:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I need to do now is find a source for the solarc WA 10W HID

You can buy the ballast and HID capsule directly from Welch Allyn. Their ballast and capsule combo are widely regarded as "the best" by CPFers due to fast startup and good color rendition.

10.2 V ballast
12.8 V ballast
10 W capsule

I think Welch Allyn has a $100 minimum order on their site, but you'll easily be over the minimum order with those parts.

The capsule can be found elsewhere online for $85 because it is commonly used in bicycle headlights. I'd give you a link to one such shop, but I'm at work right now and the link is on my home PC.