Seouled Fire~FlyIII

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello :)

Today I got my FFIII which I bought last week, thanks to member Elakazam:thanks:.

My first impressions were really beneficial, great machining, finish and handling.
The materials aluminium and copper works perfect together, very smooth twisting without any wobble effect, easy doable with one hand.

I really like the Flupic-boards so that's another advantage of this light.
UI programable fitting anybodys wishes.

Easy dismountable is another plus, so the ermitter swap was really easy.

I changed the stock LuxIII to a SSC P4.

Here are the pics, before and after the swap.

Distance to the caravan is 20meters, brightness level "boost", same settings.

LuxIII:

FFLuxIII20mBoost.jpg

SSC:

FFSSC20mBoost.jpg

The teints at the pics are not natural, the LuxIII was on the slightly greenish side while the SSC is neutral white.

I'm very happy with this tiny, well build and very bright light:thumbsup:

Best regards

_____
Tom:wave:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Tom!
I have a FF3 on my keychain and am getting itchy to replace the T bin LuxIII for something with more punch. You are correct, the copper heat sink really pulls the heat away and the feel of quality is intoxicating.
Was thinking about the SSC emitter swap but will patiently wait for the 200 lumen Luxeon K2. Hey, it's rated for 1.5 amps and the FluPIC can hit it with 1.2 amps so I am a bit paranoid about hammering the SSC so hard.
Thanks again for the update, the FF3 lives! :)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are welcome BH:)

No need to be worried about the high current of the Flupic in combination with the SSC.
Due to the propper heatsink there are no heat issues even though I use the boost-setting only for relative short periods compared to the lower settings.

Best regards

____
Tom

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Long John, looks nice, im about to do that to my FF3. Couple things I already got the thread lock loose so thats not a problem, and im about to order a ssc tonight. Couple questions, what else do I need to order, any thermal epoxy maybe? I really dont know, and Where is a good place to order the ssc and stuff with fast shipping? Thanks

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
OK i found where to order the USVOH, now I just need to know what kind of artic epoxy to order from photonfanatic for the FF3?

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Artic aluminum epoxy. i have modded 3 FF3 with VO seouls from photonfanatic. all are beautiful.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are welcome too Whitelitee:)

I can highly recommend this mod., great light :twothumbs

Like Pumaman suggested, AA-epoxy and SSC's from PhotonFanatic are good decisions.

Best regards

____
Tom

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom,

:goodjob:
That looks like an excellent mod to an excellent light. I like the tint of the Seoul that you used, too. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. :thumbsup:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did this to my first generation Fire Fly. This is a great little light.

picture002ui0.jpg

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much Cassian and datiLED :thanks:

Nice mod too Nitroz:twothumbs

The Fire~Fly is indeed a very fine light and it's a pitty, that they are no more available:(

Best regards

____

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much Cassian and datiLED :thanks:

Nice mod too Nitroz:twothumbs

The Fire~Fly is indeed a very fine light and it's a pitty, that they are no more available:(

Best regards

____

Thanks!

I agree. This is one of my favorite lights to use around the house and walking the dog. People are amazed at the light that comes from it and mine is a DB500 or 600.

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
alright well I ordered 2 USVOHs, and some AA epoxy. I was just wondering if seoul comes out with a brighter led, will i be able to pry the seoul off and sand the epoxy off the copper heat sink for future upgrades? thanks

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
alright well I ordered 2 USVOHs, and some AA epoxy. I was just wondering if seoul comes out with a brighter led, will i be able to pry the seoul off and sand the epoxy off the copper heat sink for future upgrades? thanks

Yes, most definitely.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
IM starting to get sellers remorse...I should have modded mine before selling it.:(

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
So did any of you guys use a copper shim, before putting the seuol in? I was reading in another thread about seoul FF, and they said you need at least a .03" shim to make the beam good. I didnt order a shim and I hope I dont have too. How are your beams with just AA epoxy?. How much epoxy should I use, how thick of a layer should I make? I dont want the hotspot to big, a beam like long johns would be great no floodier. I guess I want it to sit alittle higher since I wont have a shim, maybe?. But I also understand I want the layer of epoxy as thin as possible to tranfer heat. I understand the hotspot will be bigger then stock no matter what. So how did you guys do it and how did it turn out? thanks Im just alittle nervious this will be my first mod.

Edit: I am hopeing to do the mod tonight, any tips or tricks would be excllent, I will let you all know how it goes and take couple beam shots. Thanks

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whitelitee, I answered your PM but again for all readers.

I haven't used a copper shim.
I isolated the SSC first with a very thin layer AA-epoxy.
After setting I installed the Led with AA-epoxy (also only a little) to the heatsink.
Cleaning the heatsink before with "2-Propanol" or other alcohol is a must.

The beam is perfect for my uses. Due to the gain in brightness, the throw will improve by much more sidespill.

I wish you good luck.

Best regards

____
Tom

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Long John, One last thing I dont know where to get 2-Propanol alcohol will any rubbing or isopropyl alcohol work? I will let you guys know how it turn out when Im done, again thanks everyone.

Whitelitee

Newly Enlightened
Ok well I did the mod, it wasnt to hard to do. My only problem is I cant screw the pill in all the way, somthing hits the reflector and shorts it out. I put some epoxy where my solider joints are and its alitte better. But still a few turns away from all the way down. So the pill rattles in the copper can. The beam isnt that bad alittle floody but I thats because I cant screw it down all the way I think. So did anyone one else run into this problem?
I am going to try to add some more epoxy to the top by the joints tomorrow and see if that helps. But I dont know if It will.
Any Ideas?​

I will hopefully post pictures tommrow with beamshots. Thanks everyone​

Edit: I got it I just had to trim the emiter leads alittle more now it screws in all the way. Alittle floody for my taste but still not bad upgrade for 26 bucks. Thanks all and I will get pics soon I hope if i can get my old camera working. Thanks for all the help

Edit: Also my USVOH seems to turn alittle blue and start to dim when ran on burst. It may be my layer of epoxy is to thick, even tho I tried to make it thin as possible and led is getting too hot. Ohwell if this ssc burns out I will just replace it with the 2nd one I got from photofanatic when the time comes.

Last edited: