SL-20X... making it brighter...

zgxtreme

Newly Enlightened
Hi, did a quick Google search and found these boards. I attempted to do a forum search prior to asking this question but it showed errors the three times I tried, so if this has been brought up before I apologize.

On duty for my primary light I use a Streamlight SL-20X. On my duty pistol I have a Surefire X200 and have really grown to like LED technology.

On the SL-20X I was wondering if there are any drop in replacement bulbs that are LED and thus be bright and increase battery life. I know Streamlight markets an SL-20 LED model but one; I was the aluminum body of my current light, two; I want an LED only light instead of LED/Incandecent and three; due to the wear and tear it had receieved the past 10+ years it has character and quite frankly, I want to carry it til I retire.

Thanks for any help or direction and of you may be able to provide.

Willabbott

Newly Enlightened
http://www.lighthound.com sells a drop in LED replacement for the SL-20X models... I haven't used it myself but have thought many times about upgrading my SL20x... I think mine needs a new battery first however... it doesn't see much use these days so I don't know if I will ever upgrade it, however it does look like it's probably a good unit, and the only one I've ever seen.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1846

For the actual product... it's listed under Mag Light accessories for some odd reason... Quoted to be 100Lumens, which is I believe not as bright as the Incan on the SL20 (think it's closer to 200Lumens if memory serves) but will give you 6hours compared to the 1hour runtime...

Hopefully someone else has some input, but that should get you started... the manufacturer of that makes other LED units, and there may be other units they make for the SL20X besides that one.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you are up to it, Modding would probably be the best option, the second would be the terralux, but the terralux won't have as much throw as the original bulb. I'm not sure if the output is correct, it's probably less then what they claim.

:welcome:

zgxtreme

Newly Enlightened
What would "modding" the light do exactly and what would be the results?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Modding, as in modifying, the light means taking it apart and using different parts to replace the stock parts and essentially making a new light with the same body. But you do loose the warrenty.

IMO if you feel like some hands on, modifying would be the best option. You could ensure an optimal thermal path(to prevent the LED from frying itself from the heat) and how hard to want to drive the LED(The newer ones, Cree, Seoul, Rebel, can be driven up to 1.5 amp safely, 0.5 amp overdrive should be no problem with a good heatsink). You could also swap the window for a clearer, tougher or more shatter resistant window. You could also modify the beam pattern, that depends on the optics/reflector you use.

Results depend on what you do with the light.

You could also find someone to modify the light for you.

But if you don't want to DIY, then the Drop-in would be the other option.

Look here for examples of modded lights.