Will xFlex be pre-wired?

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
Just curious but is there an option to have your xflex's prewired or if you can order them prewired? Some of us folks are not good at soldering small tight areas.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious but is there an option to have your xflex's prewired or if you can order them prewired? Some of us folks are not good at soldering small tight areas.

If you're talking about n/b/max-Flex, then no. There is no option for pre-wiring. I'm busy enough with programming, testing and other custom designs + a day job + family to have time to custom wire them.

If someone wants to offer that service, it's fine with me :)

cheers,
george.

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
If you're talking about n/b/max-Flex, then no. There is no option for pre-wiring. I'm busy enough with programming, testing and other custom designs + a day job + family to have time to custom wire them.

If someone wants to offer that service, it's fine with me :)

cheers,
george.

George,

Yes I would be talking about the n/b/max-Flex. I was leaning more on the manufactuering side when you order the boards if the manufactuer (not sure if you make the boards yourself by hand :duh2:) could include wiring on the boards before shipping it out.

Well if someone is willing to offer that service that mega woots! :party: Once again thank you to you and Darrell for a wonderful product to keep things small and feature packed. Any plans on coupon discounts to save some coinage for the cash strapped?

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
George,

Yes I would be talking about the n/b/max-Flex. I was leaning more on the manufactuering side when you order the boards if the manufactuer (not sure if you make the boards yourself by hand :duh2:) could include wiring on the boards before shipping it out.

Well if someone is willing to offer that service that mega woots! :party: Once again thank you to you and Darrell for a wonderful product to keep things small and feature packed. Any plans on coupon discounts to save some coinage for the cash strapped?

Um - no - maxFlex and bFlex are done in an assembly house. All assembly is robotic pick and place. If they were to do wires - that would CO$T money since it's all hand assembly at that point.

Then of course the questions become, what wire (teflon?), stranded or not? length? colour? etc etc.

Just not going to happen at the assembly level, sorry.

No coupons etc - I'm not a company - just a one man show and running boards is expensive - you have to run several hundred at a time to get some reasonable costs - and that's all out of pocket until enough are sold to break even.

Just skip a pizza or two and that will cover a driver board :)

cheers,
george.

msxtr

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I to take advantage of this post I want ask to George if the Maxflex are totally output voltage regulable with any input voltage?

Thank you very much

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I to take advantage of this post I want ask to George if the Maxflex are totally output voltage regulable with any input voltage?

Thank you very much

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

maxFlex is a current regulated boost driver. It will limit the output voltage to around 24 with no load (i.e. it is open circuit protected).

It will boost the voltage to whatever level (max 24V) to drive the target current through the load. So, output voltage will vary for the same LED combination depending on current (since Vf is temperature and current dependent).

There is a limit to what the lowest input voltage is due to the board having a maximum input current spec. I recommend keeping the input current below 2.2A for optimal efficiency (absolute max input current would be 2.6A). There is also the 2.5V (abs min) input voltage spec. Finally input voltage must be less than total Vf at the dimmest setting, otherwise being a boost converter it will essentially go direct drive and dimming won't occur.

All the above limitations (other than the specific values) are typical of most boost converters - it's in the nature of their design.

cheers,
george.

Darell

Flashaholic
One easy way to save some money is to learn to solder better, and not have to pay somebody else to do it. (Of course the proper tools can cost some money - but good technique will improve soldering quality and confidence no matter what gear you have at your disposal).

That said, I'd hate to see a guy sitting around, not able to use one of these circuits only because of the wire issue. Don't make me regret this... but I could probably be persuaded to help you out if you really need it (though I'd rather help TEACH you to fish, than to just give you some fish). Once multiple shipping costs and labor get invloved, it may inspire you to brush up on your soldering skills!

Latest posts