GID shift knob

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I made this for my car.
IMG_0005.JPG

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I opened up a small light bulb at the end, mixed up resin and GID powder and poured it in. Then i just cracked the glass and presto. Just had to drill a hole in it for the shaft though.

Very interesting. Any chance you can make another and take photos detailing the process? Did you remove the entire socket portion of the light bulb? How?

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Very interesting. Any chance you can make another and take photos detailing the process? Did you remove the entire socket portion of the light bulb? How?

I used a dremel tool with one of those rotating cutting discs and cut thee base of the light bulb, on the bottom thread. There the glass isnt connected to the metal so part of the metal end will just come off. Then you will see the base of the glass. Here the glass from the walls of the lighbulb come down and sort of meet then go back up to become the class that holds the filament and stuff. It kind of looks like a donut i guess. I used the same attachment on my dremel tool to cut into the glass near the base in little incriments. Because it was circular I had to do it a little at a time. Then the filament fell out. If you cut it well you should have a hole about the diameter of the base of the bulb, bug enough to pour or put stuff inside. Then i cleaned the inside and poured in the resin. Surprisingly the resin shrunk a little bit when it was drying. After 2 days i lightly hammered the glass till it broke and there you go. Might have to sand some extra crap off the bottom if something mold nicely by the base.
If you are using epoxy though, you might need to spray some silicone on the inside of the bulb so it wouldnt stick. I tested the resin first to make sure it could come off easily.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
what resin do you use?....does it have air bubbles when the project is completed?....very nice work..

bouncer

Enlightened
I LOVE THAT shift knob real cool and very creative ! what epoxy and glow powder I may make a blue one or maybe a blue /red swirl mmm!

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very clever to use a lightbulb as a mold.

Tell us more about this resin...what exactly did you use?

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Very clever to use a lightbulb as a mold.

Tell us more about this resin...what exactly did you use?

I used a casting resin from a local company here in Hawaii that produces various products for boats and surfboards