Philips nightguide

shepherd79

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,
I am new here, and i just want to say your message board rocks. I am somewhat light bulb fanatic. I want brighter and better that requires the same amount or less power.

anyway, lets get to the point. My wife and I bought 03 accord and headlights not as bright as i want them to be. I am a manager at advance auto parts so i have access to all kinds parts. We sell silverstars and yes they are bright but they are suck on rainy days or when roads are wet. Plus after reading many threads on this board you guys confirmed that silverstars (us model) sucks. I have been looking for Euro model of silverstars but i can't find them in 9006 or 9005 models. So i just decided to move on to some other brand. Philips have been one of my favorite for a long time. I never had any problems with their light bulbs.
Their Nightguide bulbs are diff from US silverstars. They don't have full coating, it is just partial. you can see picture here http://www.jems.com/buyers_guide/pr...l;jsessionid=300971F4FD9C99098463B52C367FD20A
as you can see most of the bulb is clear.
So what do you guys think and does anyone have any experience with this bulbs?

thanks.
Alex.

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, Alex..

The concept is interesting - I've yet to see these bulbs anywhere, but if they weren't too expensive I'd give them a try..

shepherd79

Newly Enlightened
actually the price is not that bad.
i found 9006 and 9005 series bulbs on ebay. i am going to buy both of them just to see how they will compare to Silverstars (us model). I have them in my Civic.

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I got a pair of Philips Xtreme Power +80% xenon bulbs for an old Jaguar that had some dim headlights. After I replaced them I did see a noticeble difference form the old lamps. They were about $40 and I could not find them in the US so I bought them from some web site in England.

WNG

Enlightened
+1 on checking the circuit for relays.
I know my 2 generations prior Accord is factory-relayed.
Relays provide less voltage drop, and the ability to handle high-wattage bulbs.

One way to get more light, is to swap in higher wattage bulbs. Bear in mind, 100W+ bulbs are more fragile.

2nd way is to install HIR bulbs. Not HID. ;)
Halogen Infra-red bulbs produce a hotter filament for the same given wattage, hence higher output.

3rd way in your case of an Accord...
since you use 9005 and 9006 bulbs, you can modify a high-beam bulb to be installed into the lowbeam headlamp shell.
DOT regulated the output of bulbs, and the low beam is 45-50W, whereas high-beam is 65W.
It will yield a brighter, whiter more useful beam, without blinding glare to oncoming traffic. As the factory shadow masks are external and will maintain the low-beam pattern.
The high-beams can be 85-100W drop-in bulbs for when bright highs are needed, which is less often.
Note: Verify that your car has relayed feeds to your headlights first!

I have no experience with the 'coated bulbs'. I bought a car that came with a set of blue HID style bulbs and nearly crashed in a rainstorm. I saw nothing.
Any colored coating is bad, and no matter how much brighter is claimed, if it's legally sold, it can't have more wattage than regulations allow.
Most are repositioned filaments, where the output is better placed or concentrated.

made in china

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,
I am new here, and i just want to say your message board rocks. I am somewhat light bulb fanatic. I want brighter and better that requires the same amount or less power.

anyway, lets get to the point. My wife and I bought 03 accord and headlights not as bright as i want them to be. I am a manager at advance auto parts so i have access to all kinds parts. We sell silverstars and yes they are bright but they are suck on rainy days or when roads are wet. Plus after reading many threads on this board you guys confirmed that silverstars (us model) sucks. I have been looking for Euro model of silverstars but i can't find them in 9006 or 9005 models. So i just decided to move on to some other brand. Philips have been one of my favorite for a long time. I never had any problems with their light bulbs.
Their Nightguide bulbs are diff from US silverstars. They don't have full coating, it is just partial. you can see picture here http://www.jems.com/buyers_guide/pr...l;jsessionid=300971F4FD9C99098463B52C367FD20A
as you can see most of the bulb is clear.
So what do you guys think and does anyone have any experience with this bulbs?

thanks.
Alex.

Colored coatings are filters. The function is to filter out, or remove certain colors of the light output of a lamp. Filtering lamps not only removes beneficial colors, it also removes overall output. It's a fact. I would not go on kidding yourself that colored bulbs are brighter. I don't understand why people don't understand this very simple concept. How can a color filter ADD light?

Not only does the colored coating reduce light output, in products that have bluish tints, the effectiveness of the available light is reduced even further in the rain or on darker road surfaces. I just don't get the attraction to these bulbs.

You are better off buying Xtravision or some sort of higher output headlight bulb.

AWGD8

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica] Philips Night Guide 3-1 Bulb[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_...ighting〈=en

http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com.../nightguide.php

I just installed this light and it`s nice!

Check out the old 2006 Nissan forum , where there are some nice night picture of the beam.

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=140404

This is brighter than my old Philips CRYSTAL Vision. Has a tint of nice yellow in some angles and nice white light when seen directly in front. Perfect for winter weather !
[/FONT]

Last edited:

BEpsilon

Newly Enlightened
Despite the funny beam pattern, I would like to try these. However, I can't find anyone who sell them to me in Canada...

Any ideas?

shepherd79

Newly Enlightened
I paid for a pair on Ebay yeasterday. I'll post on how it works when I get it. I currently use the Xtravisions in my car, couldn't handle the poor-weather performance of the Silver Stars and Silver Star Ultras.
cool,
can you take some pictures before with xtravision lights and after with philips against the garage or the dark street.
thanks.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bay Area, California.

I got them today. put them in the car, it's not bad, I would say noticeably better than the Xtravisions I had. the coverage is very good.

the downside is that my car's headlights' lenses are of the older faceted ones, so the effect of the yellow and blue tint on certain angles is not reallt that noticeable, I suspect that the newer cars with clear lens will fare much better.

one thing is that it gives a better spread of light than the Xtravisions I had, so I can see further without blinding the oncoming drivers on the left. The bonus is that the road signs on the right side of the road do seem brighter

I'll try to take it onto the freeway in the next few days and see how it works.

Last edited:

Latest posts