SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 1 of 19 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: What is missing?

Default What is missing?

What Incandescent flashlight(s) can be made but nobody make them.
    What would you like to own which is not existed but doable with today's technology?
    What body size? Head size? Form factor? Battery chemistry? Battery configuration? Number of cells? Brightness? Run time?
    Let's be realistic and concentrate to Incandescent only.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: What is missing?

Can't wait to hear some these suggestions..

How about a WA1111 in an M3, C3, G3 or Leef?

FM 1111 Bi-Pin

Since it's you asking I'll need to think about the question a little more. FM can make anything. I have really enjoyed the modifications you've done on my wallet. Much easier to slip in and out of a pocket now.

- Jeff
    The oldtimers are forever bound to the universe of flashlights. They reside just above the torch lit stratosphere where the good photons pass by. As these oldtimers locomote on their appointed ways, occasionally an unusual glimmer from below catches their attention.

They may give a nod or a word.

I would like an SL Stinger with Lio and about 300 Lumen for 3 hr runtime

A small (keychain size, if you may), bright incan flashlight. It'd be nice to have a strong incan contender in that category.

Are there IRC bulbs made in smaller wattages? Smallest I've seen mentioned is 35 watts, which is fine for tinkerers, but something on the order of 10 watts or so would enable a pocket-size light with serious punch and non-ridiculous runtime and help with heat issues. I.e., remove some of the compromises which exist in the small-but-powerful incan category.

edit: well, I found at least one mention of a 10W IRC bulb, in a Topeak bicycle light, apparently the bulb itself is from the Osram Decostar line. However my weak attempts to find a source for low-wattage Osram Decostar bulbs brings up a steady stream of non-US websites and wattages only down to 20w. Does Osram not sell in the US?

edit again - hey look at this! Osram "Mini Star", bulbs with their own built-in relfectors, IRC, 10W available. But where?

Check out the 12v, 10w axial reflector bulb on the last page.

http://www.osram.com/_global/icons/pdf.gif
    Last edited by Nubo; 10-15-2007 at 03:58 PM.

Porcupine/Pineapple Body/Grenade-Combat Feel
    3c or 2d Litho (Medium Size Feel)
    Over power phillips bulb or Wa
    45 Min Run Time
    Regulated for multiple Settings
    Built in or recessed led's near tail for Ambient Mood lighting
    (Red or Blue) -
    Clickie Switch
    Black or Gun Metal

just brainstorming
    I know it's a stretch

A F-cell flashlight with a high-power Xenon globe.

Or even the high-power Xenon globe as a PR drop-in.

We've seen "Super Krypton" and halogen high-power globes, but it's time to take the next step.

By "high power", I mean 8W or above.

Banned

How about a dual-filament bulb with low and high beam (similar to some car headlight bulbs)? Battery type should be either AA or RCR123A, 12V, and as much output as possible. Size should be no bigger than a 3D Mag, maybe even 2D, but with a much larger reflector than a Mag. Adjustable focus would be awesome, just like a Mag (without the dark hole would be best). And lasty, I don't know if this has been tried or if it would even work, but how about a reflector that had a smooth portion at the narrow end of the cone and orange peel for the outer sections of the reflector. This could, in theory, provide a long-throwing hot spot with decent side spill.

OR... instead of the dual-filament bulb, why not put a potentiometer in the light and make it infinitely adjustable for light output?

I'd like something that takes a pair of rechargeable NiMH AA cells side by side (to keep it small and compact). Aim for slightly less than a 1C discharge rate to give an hour of runtime. It might make sense to put some kind of regulator circuit in there for soft start / constant output / cell protection.

Actually, I'd probably just spring for something like the Surefire A2 if there were a decent rechargeable option for it. The existing choices don't pack enough capacity. LEDs not required.
    The only reason a great many American families donít own an elephant is that they have never been offered an elephant for a dollar down and easy monthly payments.

To answer your question, FM, I think the niche is for a good incandescent that has enough battery power to use it all night long without changing batteries--maybe 100 lumens for 8 hours? D sized li-ions? 6x 18650? Probably would require a soft start circuit as well. I think there are a lot of security officers and outdoors enthusiasts (like me) that would be interested in such a light.
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

How about a mini-elephant? An exact copy of an elephant, only much smaller in size? Perhaps, powered by 12 x AAA or something like that. Or an even smaller version than that?

Just an idea...

anything li-ion and regulated.

An Incan which is around 700 / 800 lumens, SF M6 size/style, 2 hour run time, can run on a variety of batts eg. primaries / rechargeable etc, beam which is half throw / half spill - possibly adjustable....
    BROZNEO

Something that makes use of Sub-C cells, since they are the mainstay of the RC crowd, they have some of the best advancements and cells available. 4500mAH in a package the length of a AAA and less girth that a standard C. Honestly I'm not sure what configuration would be best, maybe a 3x sub-C with a bezel supporting D26 lamps, maybe a 6 sub-C running 2 a breast that has a magish size head (turbo). Would be great for running globes like the 5761 for almost an hour in a package the length of a 2D.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot36 View Post
    anything li-ion and regulated.
    That's it right there. When I start my flashlight company the first light we're going to make will be an incandescent roughly the size of a SureFire E2e with Willie Hunt's LVR and able to use Li-Ions. Somewhere between 60-80 lumens for a basic model would be good.
    "Et lux in tenebris lucet"

Quote Originally Posted by fivemega View Post
    What Incandescent flashlight(s) can be made but nobody make them.
    Nobody makes a bipin socket for the A2 that fits the Strion bulb. No sir, even though many people have asked. It is roughly the size of an E2e with Willie Hunt's LVR and able to use Li-ions.

BTW the IRC is available in 20w here, but only with an attached dichroic reflector. The problem with IRC is they are all 12v bulbs that require ~18v to look good, and 5 Li-ion or 15 NiMH makes for a big light. Hopefully they will make some 6v ones in the future.

Flashaholic*

I'll echo posts 5 and 11.

A good, small, keychain-sized incan would be really nice. The only two lights I can think of in this ballpark are the Mag solitaire - which is too dim - and the Surefire E1e w/lumens factory bulb - which is a bit big. I readily accept the fact that no incan's going to rival my Draco's 100+ lumens using the same form factor, but a solitaire-sized incan that could push out even 30-40 lumens would be great.

But post #11 really hits the nail on the head. It'd be great to find a light that could provide 100 lumens for the entire night, without needing to replace the batteries. (I'm guesing you'd need regulation for that as well.) But darn it - if you can pull off 800 lumens for an hour with your 1-hour ROP, there's got to be a way to get a solid 6-8 hour, 100 lumen light. I'd buy that.

- FITP
    Obscenely bright or unbelievably tiny are my weaknesses...

More Elephants!
    I miss my Milkmods.

Do you think you can outdo BigLeef System + M head/KT4? In stainless steel may be?

Quote Originally Posted by FlashInThePan View Post
    A good, small, keychain-sized incan would be really nice. The only two lights I can think of in this ballpark are the Mag solitaire - which is too dim - and the Surefire E1e w/lumens factory bulb - which is a bit big. I readily accept the fact that no incan's going to rival my Draco's 100+ lumens using the same form factor, but a solitaire-sized incan that could push out even 30-40 lumens would be great.
    You DO realize the E1e you mention (at least with the stock bulb) is only about 15 lumens, I hope. Anyway maybe you could try a UK 2AAA xenon which is keychain sized and probably in the 10 lumen range. Or the Princeton Tec Blast is a bit bigger than the UK with similar output with a bigger reflector.

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    A small (keychain size, if you may), bright incan flashlight. It'd be nice to have a strong incan contender in that category.
    +1 on that one. Similar in size to a Fenix P1, but with an RCR123 cell and a good bulb. I suppose you can do that with a Surefire E1E, but a dedicated 90ish lumen incandescent would be fantastic.

Something with a soft-start feature, regulated output (either by electronics or by use of lion cells), long runtime and cheap to run (rechargeable, cheap and common bulbs).
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

How about something in a mini-lantern form factor, powered by one or two Sony NP-F970 camcorder packs. Those are 7.2v 6000mAh packs (six 18650's inside) that cost just 30 bucks or so each on ebay. That helps with the resistance and connectivity issue of loose cells. The light should have an LVR type regulator for the incan bulb which I imagine at around 30 watts. It could have a 3 watt incan or LED low beam and a red LED taillight.

1) More Elephants.

2) Perhaps an even wider host that could hold 3 x Emoli or A123 safe Lithium cells in 3s single and double stack options which could allow 3s2p, 2s2p, 4s, 5s, or 6s configurations. These also put out major amps, and if narrowed to your "D Mag" like Elephant, could be used with KIU, new AW D Driver, your FM3H heads. I.D. would need to be about 56-57mm.

3) Quick connect battery holder base, with drop in charger base & refill battery holder sticks. This would allow a quick push/twist to lock battery pack into light/switch head, and hot swap/easy use battery supply. Ideally, the battery holder base would allow user to replace individual cells as they choose. It is another way to give longer run times with easy to replace battery packs.

The current systems you have made require unscrewing the tailcap, taking apart the battery holder, replacing individual cells & reassembly. I think there would be a demand for a ready to go, quick connect spare pack with easy charging option. Your current tailcap charging option plug requires the light to be taken out of operation while you plug charger into tailcap.

4) I think incorporating AW's new D Driver with multi-level brightness (& perhaps waiting for his regulated version--depending on option) gives many new options for many of your light designs, including saving batteries if low setting is used primarily.

5) I have been wondering if it would be possible to make a telescoping tube, extending out in front of a Maglite that you could slide forward & back to reduce side spill. I have tried making tubes out of paper like a Priority Mail envelope that sticks out 5-10 inches in front of lens, and it works very well at narrowing the beam...even at the expense of reducing overall spill lumens. Because of heat, it would need to be made of metal, with a dark, non-reflective coating inside.

6) Have an easy to see battery voltage/LED indicator of charge remaining.

Well I could go on for a long time with many more ideas, but I have probably already lost you.

No no Lux, all good stuff.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by leukos View Post
    To answer your question, FM, I think the niche is for a good incandescent that has enough battery power to use it all night long without changing batteries--maybe 100 lumens for 8 hours? D sized li-ions? 6x 18650? Probably would require a soft start circuit as well. I think there are a lot of security officers and outdoors enthusiasts (like me) that would be interested in such a light.
    I'm with leukos... law enforcement/security etc. need better duty lights. I want the following:

Similar size with current duty lights (SL Stinger, SL-20x)
    Waterproof/shock proof
    Externally rechargeable
    Good beam (MOP or LOP)
    1.5 HR Runtime
    GOOD BATTERIES, very important... looking for high capacity LiIons like 2C's for stinger sized, and 3D's for SL20x size (when the protected ones come out anyway, or build in a protection circuit into the light and use unprotected cells).

Quote Originally Posted by Icebreak View Post
    How about a WA1111 in an M3, C3, G3 or Leef?

FM 1111 Bi-Pin
    - Jeff
    That would be a 2x18500 body with 2.5" head and WA1111. Right?
    -------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by maxilux View Post
    I would like an SL Stinger with Lio and about 300 Lumen for 3 hr runtime
    Are you refering to Megatinger 5C powers up 1499?
    Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    To power up Strion bulb, you will need at least 1000mAh Li-Ion which is about size of 14670 which is too big for keychain unless step down to Carley 723 using single R123 which is still same size of E1e
    ------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubo View Post
    Check out the 12v, 10w axial reflector bulb on the last page.

http://www.osram.com/_global/icons/pdf.gif
    It is possible to make a reflector to fit over reflectorized bulb for narrower beam but to power up mentioned 35 watt bulb you will need at least 5x17670 with a dummy in 2.5D M*g size flashlight.
    -----------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanator View Post
    Porcupine/Pineapple Body/Grenade-Combat Feel
    3c or 2d Litho (Medium Size Feel)
    Over power phillips bulb or Wa
    45 Min Run Time
    Regulated for multiple Settings

just brainstorming
    I know it's a stretch
    Is this similar to FM85 with added regulator?
    -----------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by lctorana View Post
    A F-cell flashlight with a high-power Xenon globe.
    Or even the high-power Xenon globe as a PR drop-in.
    We've seen "Super Krypton" and halogen high-power globes, but it's time to take the next step.
    By "high power", I mean 8W or above.
    Do you mean F cell (33mmDx90mmL) which is basicaly 1.5D or you mean AF which is 18mmDx50mmL ?
    ROP low is 11 watt PR drop in.

----------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by KingGlamis View Post
    How about a dual-filament bulb with low and high beam (similar to some car headlight bulbs)? Battery type should be either AA or RCR123A, 12V, and as much output as possible. Size should be no bigger than a 3D Mag, maybe even 2D, but with a much larger reflector than a Mag. Adjustable focus would be awesome, just like a Mag (without the dark hole would be best). And lasty, I don't know if this has been tried or if it would even work, but how about a reflector that had a smooth portion at the narrow end of the cone and orange peel for the outer sections of the reflector. This could, in theory, provide a long-throwing hot spot with decent side spill.

OR... instead of the dual-filament bulb, why not put a potentiometer in the light and make it infinitely adjustable for light output?
    Surefire 10X and 9AN have dual bulb and Streamlight uses dual fillament bulb.
    Advanced texture reflector have been offered in several flashlights and FM3H-2
    BTW, bulb opening area have heavier textured and lens area have SMO or less textured.

--------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bower View Post
    I'd like something that takes a pair of rechargeable NiMH AA cells side by side (to keep it small and compact).
    Actually, I'd probably just spring for something like the Surefire A2 if there were a decent rechargeable option for it. The existing choices don't pack enough capacity. LEDs not required.
    2AA side by side were made by Princeton and Underwater K but not regulated.
    For something brighter than A2 and longer run rechargeable, you need 2x18500 or larger.

---------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by leukos View Post
    To answer your question, FM, I think the niche is for a good incandescent that has enough battery power to use it all night long without changing batteries--maybe 100 lumens for 8 hours?
    Similar to this or even this using 5 or 6 cell bulb will provide long run per charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trashman View Post
    How about a mini-elephant? An exact copy of an elephant, only much smaller in size? Perhaps, powered by 12 x AAA or something like that. Or an even smaller version than that?
    Just an idea...
    Isn't 4x14670 in 1D M*g size better than 12AAA?
    ------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Brozneo View Post
    An Incan which is around 700 / 800 lumens, SF M6 size/style, 2 hour run time, can run on a variety of batts eg. primaries / rechargeable etc, beam which is half throw / half spill - possibly adjustable....
    To run an WA1111 with over 800 bulb lumens for 2 hours, you will need 3P/2S 18650 like this.
    ------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by mdocod View Post
    maybe a 6 sub-C running 2 a breast that has a magish size head (turbo). Would be great for running globes like the 5761 for almost an hour in a package the length of a 2D.
    This would be 2 battery stick of Stinger type side by side which will hardly fit in Elephant body. I think 3P/2S 18650 will serve better.
    ---------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5M View Post
    Do you think you can outdo [FONT=Verdana]BigLeef System + M head/KT4? In stainless steel may be?
    What is wrong with Big Leef and why stainless steel? Too heavy.
    --------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    How about something in a mini-lantern form factor, powered by one or two Sony NP-F970 camcorder packs. Those are 7.2v 6000mAh packs (six 18650's inside) that cost just 30 bucks or so each on ebay. That helps with the resistance and connectivity issue of loose cells. The light should have an LVR type regulator for the incan bulb which I imagine at around 30 watts. It could have a 3 watt incan or LED low beam and a red LED taillight.
    That is a good price for 6x18650 but as you mentioned will fit in lantern type square light which is hard to machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    1)I agree.
    2)57mm ID is even larger than M*g head.
    3)To recharge batteries individualy without removing tail cap requires complicated system and hard to seal.
    4)That's true. Regulation system will open many doors for different hot wire flashlights.
    5)That would only remove side spill without increasing throw or hot spot.
    6)That is my dream to see LCD screen flashlight with all information about total run time, remaining run time, bulb age and...

------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Supernam View Post
    Similar size with current duty lights (SL Stinger, SL-20x)
    Waterproof/shock proof
    Externally rechargeable
    Good beam (MOP or LOP)
    1.5 HR Runtime
    How about regulated WA1166 in rechargeable 4xLi-Ion "C" flashlight with 90 minutes run time?
    Last edited by fivemega; 10-16-2007 at 05:47 AM.

Similar to this or even this using 5 or 6 cell bulb will provide long run per charge.
    Yes, FM, you have made battery holders and setups that could work, but IMO, there is too much power there for a 5 or 6 cell mag bulb to be used reliably. Probably would need a soft start circuit. I really would like a HA body that can accept a SF M series head and an M6 tailcap that could hold either A123's, D sized li-ions, or 6x 18650 with an integrated soft start circuit. And if I were really dreaming, a circuit that was user adjustable for voltage and amperage output.
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

How about regulated WA1166 in rechargeable 4xLi-Ion "C" flashlight with 90 minutes run time?
    I once got caught short of battery power poking around in an overgrown area trying to flush a prowler. Anything long running in a FM body would be useful. How about something with two hours runtime? Three hours?

And more Elephants.

And more warning when you release anything in Gold-plate. I missed the last two!
    Get thee behind me, CPF.

Page 1 of 19 1234567811 ... LastLast