SF's Higher End Lights (compared to 6P) What are the advantages?

cjlandry

Newly Enlightened
I'm obsessive, and my latest obsession is these dang lights.

I loved my first G2, and I miss it since I lost it.

I love my G2L so much that I had to buy a 6P. I found a guy on ebay who had two of them at $42.50 each, shipped, so I bought 'em both. Now I love them too.

These little lights are so high above my prior expectations of a flashlight, that I have to wonder just how much higher this can go.

Obviously it gets better, as evidenced by the folks who have owned 6P's, and spend their money to go to "the next level". Obviously, few, if any, of these people regret spending the money on a higher-dollar light.

So, if you own one (or more) of the $85-and-up Surefire lights, could you enlighten me on the features that make them worth it?

I want to buy one, but I have no idea which one I want. I'm beginning to feel that a good flashlight is like a good watch. Sure, a Seiko looks decent, and it will keep time for you, but it will never have the quality and style of a Rolex. (I wear a Seiko, but would like a Rolex someday).

Patriot

Flashaholic
Hi cj,

I'd say that I get a lot of enjoyment out of smaller Surefires. They're light and easy to carry. The E2E and L4 sized light put out good illumination with for their size. Most Surefire lights are made with a hard anodized finish and it helps to protect the light from scratches and scrapes. Many models have anti-reflective coatings that allow for the transmission of a bit more light out the front. The combat lights have shock isolated bezels which help to protect the filament if the light is dropped. Some models have clickie tail cap switches instead of lock-out switches. It all depends on what you like. Lights like the U2 and Kroma have multi-level output or different color LEDs. The A2 aviator is one of the most unique and loved models because of it's combination of long run-time LEDs and fully regulated incandescent primary illumination, making about 70-80 lumens. Keep in mind that Surefire almost always understates the actual output of its lights.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
To keep the comparison of "apples to apples", the next level from a 6P would be the various models that have an HAIII finish such as the C2 and then the M2 which adds a shock isolation system. They all use the same bulbs, tailcaps and battery configuration but add additional features to the form factor.

As an aside:
HAIII is the best and would be my first choice but...
I have owned 6P's since they came out in the mid-1980's. There were no HAIII finishes back then. Then as now, the 6P does not have an HAIII finish. My 20 year old work 6P is nicked and scraped and some of the black finish has worn away at the sharp edges but the light works as well today as the day it was made. HAIII is better but it is quite relative.
The only thing I have done to it was over the years I did upgrade it with a LOTC and a pyrex bezel.

cjlandry

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input.

I do believe that the M2 is the one I want. Very impressive! Maybe for Christmas...

Brozneo

Enlightened
Hi cj,

I'd say that I get a lot of enjoyment out of smaller Surefires. They're light and easy to carry. The E2E and L4 sized light put out good illumination with for their size. Most Surefire lights are made with a hard anodized finish and it helps to protect the light from scratches and scrapes. Many models have anti-reflective coatings that allow for the transmission of a bit more light out the front. The combat lights have shock isolated bezels which help to protect the filament if the light is dropped. Some models have clickie tail cap switches instead of lock-out switches. It all depends on what you like. Lights like the U2 and Kroma have multi-level output or different color LEDs. The A2 aviator is one of the most unique and loved models because of it's combination of long run-time LEDs and fully regulated incandescent primary illumination, making about 70-80 lumens. Keep in mind that Surefire almost always understates the actual output of its lights.

+1 you wrapped it up good Patriot!

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one feature I like most (and made me chose my EDCs L1 and Kroma) are the 2-stage twisties. This design is genius. If you like incans, check out the A2.

paulr

Flashaholic
IMO unless you have specialized needs (i.e. a weaponlight) the interesting SF incans are the A2 and the M6. The A2 because it brings modern technology to keep the incan concept alive in small lights. The M6 because it's just insane, which I mean in a good way. I've used spotlights and a mag85 that are objectively brighter than the M6/Hola, but turning on the M6 still more than any other light makes me say "whooooa" no matter how many times I do it.

I'm not well informed on SF's current LED offerings. I like the old L2 and L4 but I guess they're a bit behind the times these days.

Size15's

Flashaholic
So, if you own one (or more) of the $85-and-up Surefire lights, could you enlighten me on the features that make them worth it?
My first reaction is to expound on the virtues of the M6 - King of Flashlights.
However, if you want to see what makes SureFire 'worth it' then read up on the A2 and buy one to see whether you can appreciate how SureFire can deliver a device that is greater than the sum of it's parts.

When you have an A2 to hand I doubt you'll be using your G2 and 6P's any longer.

Al

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the A2 still the only regulated incan from surefire ? I'd kind of like one without the 5mm LED's in there messing up the reflector. Or do you guys just change the reflector and toss the LED's in a drawer ? The A2's nice, but it would be great to have just the regulated incan too.

Last edited:

Carpenter

Enlightened
Is the A2 still the only regulated incan from surefire ? I'd kind of like one without the 5mm LED's in there messing up the reflector. Or do you guys just change the reflector and toss the LED's in a drawer ? The A2's nice, but it would be great to have just the regulated incan too.

While the regulated incan is very nice, removing the LED's would make the A2 just like every other light out there IMO. You are correct, the LED's mess up the beam however, unless you are white wall hunting, it really isn't a problem.

Again IMO, the A2 is made for the LED's to be used for up close work, while the incan is used to light up the darkness.

It takes a while to really appreciate the A2. When you first get an A2, you look at it and say, "I paid over $100 for this?" After you work with it for a while you say, "I need to get another one with _____ LED's".

cjlandry

Newly Enlightened
So we have HA-III finishes on some, specialty electronics on some, shock isolation on some, dual mode incan/LED on some, and just superior and larger reflector assemblies on some.

Obviously, of course, there are the compact, single-cell (CR123) lights, LED's are becoming more en vogue, and showing up in the lights.

Regarding the A2 Aviator, that seems like a very nice light, but I have colored LED head lights for night work where white lights would ruin my night vision. Those situations always require me to work with both hands, so holding the flashlight isn't an option.

Am I missing anything?

So far, the lights that intrigue me the most, and are in my price range, are the M2 and the E2E.

Wolfhound 9K

Newly Enlightened
- Pocket clip (eliminates the need for a holster and prevents the light from moving around in your pocket)
- HA-III coating
- Combat grip (step down body with grip ring for two handed light/pistol grip)
- Advanced bulbs

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the A2 Aviator, that seems like a very nice light, but I have colored LED head lights for night work where white lights would ruin my night vision. Those situations always require me to work with both hands, so holding the flashlight isn't an option.

Am I missing anything?

The A2 is actually being offered with different LED colors. White, red, green, yellow-green and I blue (I think). :laughing:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
After the Cree lights came out I have sold my SF M3, I have also gotten rid of my M4 and 9AN. The biggest thing I miss about them is the pride of ownership, and the heft felt holding them in my hand.

I was at Sportsmans Warehouse today buying SF batts (and a g2) and I asked to see a L5. I held it in my hand and felt its heft and solidness. I had my Lumapower M1-R with me and I compared them side by side. The LP is brighter, more versitle and lasts longer on batteries...and is a $85 light. But it just does not have the bank vault feel of the L5. Not even close. I am tempted to go back and buy it.

If you have not had a $190+ light, consider buying one. It may not be brighter or more effecient than any of the really good chinese lights out there, but a AMG M-Benz is not faster or more effecient than a Vette, but there is a noticable difference in the sound you feel and hear when you shut the driver's (or passanger's) door.

That to me is the difference.

Patriot

Flashaholic
- Pocket clip (eliminates the need for a holster and prevents the light from moving around in your pocket)
- HA-III coating
- Combat grip (step down body with grip ring for two handed light/pistol grip)
- Advanced bulbs

Oh yes! I forgot about pocket clips. I still think that Surefire makes the best clip in the industry. For me, the pocket clip is a huge plus!

As far as advanced bulbs go, you do have the option of a P61 lamp assembly even with the 6P.

cjlandry

Newly Enlightened
I'm already running RCR123 cells and 9v lamps in my carry 6P, and the shotgun mounted 6P has the LED module from my G2L (which now also has RCR123's and a 9v lamp assembly).

I almost bought an M2 last night, but reeled myself in from the impulse buy.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you prefer the combat grip style body? Do you think you'll use the pocket clip? Is hard anodization really necessary? If so, then the M2 will be a great light. However, shock isolation can be achieved simply by buying the Z32 bezel and putting it on your current 6P.