Easy to install HID kit

Optik49

Enlightened
I purchased one of these HID kits for my 4Runner a year ago. It was easy to install and works great. I highly recommend them. Reasonably priced and well worth it. Hear is the link. LINK DELETED BY MODERATOR

Last edited by a moderator:

Optik49

Enlightened
Question: Are your lights now legal?

Yes, I have never had a problem. A couple of times if I was stopped on a hill, someone might high beam me, if have my fog lights on with my head lights but I think its do to the angle of the headlights.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put some HIDs in my lowered maxima for 1 week. I ended up taking them out and selling them due to them blinding ever other driver on the road.

I was constantly being hi beamed by oncoming drivers.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I have never had a problem. A couple of times if I was stopped on a hill, someone might high beam me, if have my fog lights on with my head lights but I think its do to the angle of the headlights.
I didn't ask if you have ever had a problem, either with cops or alignment. I asked if they are legal now.

:popcorn:

BEpsilon

Newly Enlightened
I always thought, and many fellow CPF members told me that, HID kits don't really work. Trust me, I envy those who have new cars with HID headlights, and I always want a pair on my car (which is using incand 9005/9006).

Most (if not all) HID kits in the market I've seen do NOT factor the headlight lens into the equation. Stock HID lights utilize specially designed lens/projector systems. These systems, which may include auto-leveling and beam optical cut-off, allow the use of such high power light WITHOUT blinding other drivers (especially in head-on situation).

Please stop using them - you are endangering all drivers around you.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are plenty of kits that are 100% DOT legal that take the headlight lens and reflector out of the equation. There is one for my Ford Focus, for example, but because it's in the middle to upper hundreds of dollars to buy everything I've held off..

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have installed an HID capsule with a halogen base into a headlight assembly designed to use halogen bulbs, then I urge you to remove them, as your beam "pattern" will be garbage and is more than likely blinding other drivers, whether they high-beam you or not.

I wouldn't buy HID sealed beam conversions or any other product from LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR, no matter what the quality, specifically because they also sell the ridiculous and dangerous hid-capsule-in-an-incan-headlamp mentioned above. I refuse to support a company that sells such irresponsible products.

:buddies:

Last edited by a moderator:

Optik49

Enlightened
It's a 2006 and the beam is fine. I have checked and double checked and asked others. I have a projection housing and the HIDs plug in to the stock harness and click into the rear of the projection housing. I don't know what models you have seen but I am on my second year and I have had no problems. I am not going to stop using them and they are not endangering anyone that's why I posted that I was happy with them. But if people want to assume, the kit I have been using for two years and have asked other to evaluate is bad or dangerous that a little crazy. I have also seen the type of HIDS which you are referring to and I am just saying my lights don't look like that. So this is a dead issue. If someone wants to try them they can and see for themselves. If not, oh well. Thanks for the concern but I feel completely comfortable with the kit I purchased and installed.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Oh, sorry, yes they are legal now.

Nope, they aren't. "HID kits" in halogen-bulb headlamps do not work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal. See here.

"I've checked and asked others"...means...what, exactly? You've looked at your headlamps and just decided they're OK? Tell us about the data from a photometric scan of your "HID kit" headlamps and then we can talk.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tell us about the data from a photometric scan of your "HID kit" headlamps and then we can talk.
First tell us you didn't just put HID bulbs in your incandescent housings.

9. ... You agree, through your use of this BB, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly illegal or promotes illegal activity.

:popcorn:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Lookit there, what a sensible rule. I'd forgotten that one. I knew there was a reason why this is one of the few forums I read on a regular basis...

Hands up who thinks Optik49's original post in this thread was nothing more than a shill for the mentioned "HID kit" vendor...

*raises hand*

topcat39

Newly Enlightened
Nope, they aren't. "HID kits" in halogen-bulb headlamps do not work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal. See here.

+1

The above link is to Daniel Stern's web site - a very reputable source for the best automotive lighting parts, upgrades, and info.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone correct me if im wrong but

With projector style headlights the beam is still focused by the lens. Where the filament is doesn't really have that big of an effect on the beam pattern I believe.

With reflector style headlights like on my 2000 Tundra, the beam bounces all over the place right into the on coming drivers eyes. I had a set of Philips HID kit on my truck back in 2001 when everyone else was using tinted bulbs. Finally sold them to my friend.

If anyone knows of a optically corrected HID kit let me know!

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
With projector style headlights the beam is still focused by the lens. Where the filament is doesn't really have that big of an effect on the beam pattern I believe.
Do you believe they don't have reflectors at all? That would mean all the light not hitting the lens straight out of the light bulb would just go into heating up the headlight housing. Does that sound right?

If it doesn't sound right, then we'd have to guess that a projection headlight has a reflector as well as a lens. Then any light reflected by the reflector before it goes through the lens will have its angle changed if the bulb were to move in relation to the reflector. So where the filament is might well have a big effect on the beam pattern.

Wikipedia has a diagram of a projection headlamp. FWIW it's an ellipsoidal reflector, not a parabolic reflector.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
we'd have to guess that a projection headlight has a reflector as well as a lens.

Correct. And the size/shape/position/orientation of the filament or arc has a very large effect on the final beam pattern, "even" in a projector headlamp.