4 Sevens
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Benchmade griptilian thread!!!

Default Re: Benchmade griptilian thread!!!

Fitz,

I'm going with the Orange G-10, like the set-up you got on yours.

greenLED,

Thanks. It's going to look even better once I am done with it. Though, it does currently pair up well with my other Grip..........

............I like their Modified Drop Point design.

2xTap
    So many lights....so little money!

I'm liking the mini grip more and more. Now that I know it can be made to open with a wrist flick, I'm pretty much sold. I've settled on a decent looking model from New Graham, but I'd like the cheapest possible deal not from ebay. Any thoughts guys?

PS, its a 555 I believe.

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=4940
    Register your Smart PD(D10, D20, EX10) at the official registry
    To prevent catastrophes, please make sure that brain is online before mouth moves.

Quote Originally Posted by m16a View Post
    I'm liking the mini grip more and more. Now that I know it can be made to open with a wrist flick, I'm pretty much sold. I've settled on a decent looking model from New Graham, but I'd like the cheapest possible deal not from ebay. Any thoughts guys?

PS, its a 555 I believe.

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=4940
    I ALWAYS use newgraham, but someone recnetly told me that knifeworks has better prices...here it is in a non coated blade for a few bucks cheaper...they also have alot of other versons..

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?...D&ProdID=10180
    - JEFF

Here's mine. It's a bit more worn now since this photo, but I still love it...

visualnewbie aka "chris"

I picked up one of the mini Grips in D2 steel from Cabelas this afternoon. Olive with plain black blade. I've been a fan of D2 for a while, I'm glad to see it available in the mini Griptillians. should make for a good, fairly inexpensive, user knife.
    Semper Fi

Those orange scales are sweet, Fitz! Is that a regular or mini?

As for me, I've got a lavender (purple?) mini that I picked up from somebody on EDCF. It's got the older 440C. I'd probably prefer 154cm, but this is serving it's purpose, anyway, and it's probably a little bit safer. (154cm can be scary! At least, it is on my Benchmites.)

I like the Grips (minis, in my case) because they feel solid, like they can take a beating, they're not too expensive (which makes me not mind having it take a beating), and because with the pull of the axis lock, you can flick 'em open just like an auto. BTW, anybody ever not open them by flicking them? I do it every time.

How does D2 steel differ from 440C or 154cm? Is it (can it be made) as sharp, sharper, or not as sharp as 154cm?
    Last edited by Trashman; 07-26-2008 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks Trashman! That one is a full size, they don't have the custom grips for the mini yet. I agree with your thoughts on the Griptillians, hard to beat for the price, and I like the Axis lock a lot.

As far as D2 vs 154cm, There's lot's of arguments on the virtues of different knife steels, one thought on D2 is that it tends to hold an edge for a long time between sharpening better than a lot of steels. It's used for tooling dies which need to last a long time or it costs the company money.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the way the blade is heat treated and ground. Whether that's true or not, I'll not hazard an opinion. I have a several Dozier knives in D2 and have always had good luck with them for their intended purpose. I've heard D2 described as the .30-06 of the knife steel world. There's always newer and more hyped steels that come in as the "flavor of the month", but D2 just works.
    Semper Fi

Well, Fitz, I guess your answer is about as good as it gets. You didn't really answer my question, so I did more searching, and found more information, but still nothing conclusive. It appears that D2 and 154cm can both be harded to the same degree and are probably similar in performance, though the D2 is classified as a tool steel and 154cm is classified as a stainless steel, as found here: http://www.cutleryscience.com/review...materials.html

I'd say, though, if Benchmade is using it, it's going to be a good choice.
    Last edited by Trashman; 07-27-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Exactly. I don't think you're going to find a definitive answer, there's opinion everywhere but not much in the way of fact due to all the variables! I'm happy with the D2 knives I have, but also the 154CM, 30SV, 3V, etc....

If they do the job they were intended for well, that's all that counts!
    Semper Fi

hey guys

it's mine

I bet you all have dozens of edc gadgets but happen to carry only one or two? Same with me - the mini grip and lod is my de facto edc.

I love the mini. The Blade is ultra sharp even after lots of serious cutting it's sharp enough for shaving (I tried it )

it's yellow because I already lost too many knives in the woods and I personally don't like all these "camouflage" knives. At least because I don't have any tactical use for it.
    Anyway it's my first knife with a color like this and not the last one. It's striking color proved itself very valuable. I have it ready to hand faster than my other knives.

best regards
    Last edited by SIMON LEONE; 08-08-2008 at 09:47 AM.
    “I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.” Steve Mcqueen

Nice one Simon! Love the color yellow as well- great knife!
    Semper Fi

I've been close to springing on a yellow mini-grip (I like the 556) a couple of times.

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    I've been close to springing on a yellow mini-grip (I like the 556) a couple of times.
    What?!? A yellow Griptilian for greenLED?

I managed to find a new discontinued Green #556, and was able to send it to BM to upgrade to 154cm steel! As you can see, it's been used.

john

That's puuuure eveil!!

purrrdy!

Well, I broke down and ordered a yellow mini 555HG in case they decide to quit selling the sheepsfoot model anytime soon. I'd like to match it up with a black coated blade, so maybe I'll pick up a black handle with a black plain blade and swap them if I can find one. The mini grips with plain black sheepsfoot blades seem to in short supply.
    Semper Fi

Flashaholic*

Does anyone know if the cabela D2 griptilian use CPM D2, or regular variety?

I heard there is no difference, D2, S30V all are just short for CPM-S30V and CPM-D2...I coudkl eb wrong but I think crucible steel is the onyl peopel who make those steels...At last this is what soemone on the forums told me then another person backed them up on the reply...?
    - JEFF

Flashaholic*

From my understanding D2 is made by a lot of people, but the CPM version have a much better carbide distribution. But then again maybe only CPM version is used in knives?

But it looks like it dosen't matter anymore since cabela refuse to ship it to me, because according to their rep "This item is considered a leathal weapon and cannot shipped outside u.s.".
    Last edited by jzmtl; 09-15-2008 at 06:57 PM.

Ahh sorry to ehar it man, shipping knives outside the us is such a hassle, even manual knives liekthis, I hate knife alws, just like gun laws they onyl hurt the responsible people using them...
    - JEFF

Just got the Benchmade Vex, very impressed- what a solid, well made knife for <$40!! Red class but feels like it should have cost at least twice as much- G10 handles, 8Cr14MoV blade, titanium coated blade, liner & ergonomic clip. Lower price probably because it is made in China, liner lock, etc.
    I have a feeling I'll be getting the Griptillian next, but how strong is it, looks like there is no liner, just the plastic handles.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=581554

scroll down for the pics of the grippie guts and liner.

These knives are tough as nails!

The vex is also really nice - a bit heavy for my edc need and I love the axis lock of the grips - but I think the look of it and blade shape are great. Love the details you get on this knife.
    Last edited by bullfrog; 09-15-2008 at 07:29 PM.
    ...as for me, when you want a good laugh, you will find me, in a fine state, fat and flourishing, a true hog of Epicurus' herd...
    Running Collection List
    HERE

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by cutlerylover View Post
    Ahh sorry to ehar it man, shipping knives outside the us is such a hassle, even manual knives liekthis, I hate knife alws, just like gun laws they onyl hurt the responsible people using them...
    It's probalby just their store policy, everybody else have no problem shipping knives outside u.s.

probably...I kniow canada is sometimes not seen as international to some companies..like many will ship to US and cabada only but nowhere else, others just ship within the US only I guess...
    - JEFF

I have a minigrip on the way from newgraham, should be here tomorrow. I had a full size grippie but decided to sell it cuz of the sheepleness of the Peoples' Republik of New Jersey and their paranoid mindset...
    FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART.

Quote Originally Posted by cutlerylover View Post
    I heard there is no difference, D2, S30V all are just short for CPM-S30V and CPM-D2...I coudkl eb wrong but I think crucible steel is the onyl peopel who make those steels...At last this is what soemone on the forums told me then another person backed them up on the reply...?
    All S30V are CPM-S30V but very few D2 tool steels are CPM-D2. CPM-D2 is only made by Crucible, while plain D2 is made by a bunch of steel makers.

S30V is a Crucible proprietary steel, no one else makes it.

Two questions, boyz:

1. We went to the beach the other day and my son took a dip in the ocean with his mini Grip still attached to his shorts. He rinsed it later with fresh water and lubed it, but the internal spring is showing signs of corrosion.

Any good ways of getting rid of the rust and returning the spring to its original luster? The knife works just fine, BTW, it's just the cosmetics that's bugging him.

2. I've been eyeing a Ritter Grip. Anybody care to share what are the dis/advantages of the S30V steel over the regular minigrip's 440C?

Also, how durable is the teflon coating vs. the stone washed finish? I read somewhere that the latter somehow seals the pores of the steel (but I'm a sucker for all black stuff).

Just got mine about 20mins ago...Just snapped a pic with my E1B with glo-fob for dramatic effect...LOL....

FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors Fanatic View Post
    All S30V are CPM-S30V but very few D2 tool steels are CPM-D2. CPM-D2 is only made by Crucible, while plain D2 is made by a bunch of steel makers.

S30V is a Crucible proprietary steel, no one else makes it.
    ok so half right, lol Ill take it, hahah yeah that makes sense because S30V is made for knives but D2 is used for alot of other thgins, so I cna see that...thanks for the info!
    - JEFF

benchamde does their finished well coated or not no worries there unless you get a D2 or similar tool steel it wotn mater mcuh eather way, as for S30V vs 440C, S30V is just a much harder steel makign it hold an edge MUCH longer, pronlem is its hard to some people to sharpen beign that its so hard so its a give and take, BTW all grips these days have 154CM standard steel which is like right in the middle of 440C and S30V...
    - JEFF

Thank you very much, Jeff.

I must have older minigrips; both are 440C.

Still debating whether the different blade shape and steel justify the extra money. I could basically buy 2 minigrips for the price of a single Ritter.