Help me find my next EDC multi-tool

RasmusB

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

I'm on the lookout for a EDC multi-tool. So far, my favorite multi-tool has been the Victorinox CyberTool 34 which I have enjoyed most of the time. But there are some shortcomings:

- The tweezer i basically useless. Too weak, and the tip is too wide to grip anything small and see what you are doing at the same time.
- None of the tools are locked. It's easy to have a blade snap back if you are not careful.
- The pliers are really not that useful. Actually, I often find myself using this instead of the tweezers when gripping small stuff. However, you cannot use it for anything plier-related (except for cutting wires, which it does ok).
- The "crimping tool" really sucks. Totally useless in my opinion.

The parts I DO like:
- The wrench / bits are GREAT! These in combination whith the large screwdriver tool and the tiny screwdriver that sits in the corcscrew, I rarely find myself looking for a screwdriver. Just last week, i installed som new RAM in my laptop in the school cafeteria, and I fixed another one of my computers at home this week.
- The scissors are also very useful. Nothing special about them, they just do what they are supposed to. :)
- The pliers are great fo gripping small things.
- The small blade is great also. I'm not sure I have ever even used the large one?

So in conclusion... my next multitool should have the following charateristics:

- Ability to use screwdriver bits. An assortment of different bits are a must, preferrably standard size. I need TORX and 6-headed bits. If they can be carried in the tool itself, that might close the deal :)
- Locking tools
- Locking needlenose pliers with good cutting capacity
- Good wire stripper
- A decent wire crimping tool
- Scissors
- At least one sharp blade

So... Am I looking for the perfect tool that doesen't exist, or is there one that fullfills my needs out there? :)

Thank you for your time!

RasmusB

Newly Enlightened
Thank you!
Judging from the answers on another forum, it seems some letherman tools could be up for the task... the tricky part is carrying the extra bits... seems you can only carry one bit in the tool, which might be to little... do you know of any smart solution for this? A mini bit holder or something?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my Leatherman Charge XTi comes with extra bits in a little holder that fits in the sheath, but they're just basic bits. To tell you the truth, I've never really looked to see if there were torx bits or anything like that..

Maybe a combo of a good Leatherman and a nice wire stripper/crimper would do..

Dantor

Enlightened
+1 to Leatherman 4 U, it's the closest for your needs and a quality tool. I've seen several after market cases/sheaths which could carry extras, just gotta find them!