• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SOB board/XR-can ground contact question

mfrey

Enlightened
I just received an SOB 1000 board and an XR-can for a fortcoming build.

I have one question as follows: is it necessary to hardwire the ground terminal on the board to the can given that the SOB's perimeter ring connects to ground and contacts the lower shelf of the XR-can when it is assembled?

Thanks.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you solder the board to the can, I wouldn't think it necessary. I epoxied mine to the shelf. Before doing so I filed a notch on the inside dia. of the shelf, then stripped enough of the neg wire where it went thru the board and long enough to go into the notch. After soldering the wires, I epoxied the board with the neg hole next to the notch and later soldered the wire into it.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
You certianly need to do something other than simply placing the board on the shoulder of the can.

You can make an external ground and solder a wire to the inside lip of the can. This would be visible from the cell contact side.

I run my ground wires internal; I drilled a tiny hole in the wall of the can and soldered a wire through it. Then it gets potted in the epoxy.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only board that needs a ground wire is the Downboy where I screwed up and forgot to connect the perimeter ring to ground. All other converter boards have the external ring connected to GND.

SOB for sure is connected to ground and makes the SOB LE a much easier build which is why I'm prepping a batch of them for a soon to be released new Aleph light.

Wayne