New comet "suddenly" appears...

Scottiver

Enlightened
Thanks for the heads up. I love comets. I'll check it out tonight during my nightly dog/flashlight walk.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
But ain't that moon something? Don't remember the exacts, but it's actually closer to Earth than normal.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you, Nerdgineer, for the heads-up !

:twothumbs

This is the first i've heard about it !

Too bad it hadda' happen so close to "full-moon" time. :)

_

DM51

Flashaholic
They let Nitro out of hospital after his gallbladder operation, and just look what happens - he points his MaxaBeam at a new comet and starts a worldwide panic.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Saw it last night. Quite impressive !

Even near the almost-full moon.

STILL haven't seen or heard ANY other mention of the comet in my media. :confused:

If it wasn't for Nerdgineer, i'd still be "in the dark" about comet Holmes.

Thank you !

:thumbsup:

BTW, it might look like a comet, but it could actually be an invading Alien spacecraft.

Trying to sneak up, and catch us off-guard. :tinfoil:

Those clever Rigelians . . . .

:nana:

_

Scottiver

Enlightened
I just checked it out using my Orion 4" Maksukov telescope. Pretty cool looking. Instead of looking like a comet with a tail, it's just a big fuzzy disk with a bright starlike nucleus. I could also see it fine in binoculars and even pretty good with the naked eye. Check it out.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple nights ago, I went looking for it, but I couldn't find it. I didn't realize it was so low in the sky! There are mostly trees where I live to the NE. Maybe tonight I'll go out after supper and climb a nice hill/mini-mountain (or drive if I am pooped from work) and check it out.

I hope I find it!

(oops! Did I hear an excuse to take out my new Guider...?) :D

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Nerdgineer for alerting everyone to this. I've seen it four out of the last five nights. My ten power binocs give a great view of it. I looked at it in my 3.5" refractor telescope, but it didn't look much better than in the binocs. The weather has been so nice the last few nights, it's fun to be out there. After I'm done stargazing and don't need my night adapted vision, out come the lights!

Scottiver

Enlightened
A couple nights ago, I went looking for it, but I couldn't find it. I didn't realize it was so low in the sky!

It's not low in the sky at all (unless you look really early in the evening)
by 10:00PM it is almost straight up in the northeast sky.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
"It's not low in the sky at all (unless you look really early in the evening)
by 10:00PM it is almost straight up in the northeast sky."

Yes, that's true that it should rise from the NE higher up into the sky. However, when my brother first told me about this, the moon was brighter (larger) then it is now, and rose later, making the optimal viewing time early in the evening, within the first several hours after sunset. Last night it was cloudy in southern NY, and I couldn't find it.

"Are we ready to launch DEEP IMPACT?"

That's funny! :) Yesterday in school, I couldn't help but tell several of the students about the comet; perhaps it would provide some safe entertainment on a Friday night. One kid, who seemed to be napping on the radiator (he had finished all his work) looked up like a startled rabbit, and asked, "Is it going to crash into Earth?" I reassured him that comets are nothing more than icey dust balls, the same sort that were probably all over the floor beneath the radiator. :p

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saturday night I had the best view of it yet. It was really dark [the moon is away from it now and much less full], and clear sky. I suprised I don't detect it changing its position relative to the stars from night to night.