Some questions about my new green laser pointer...

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some questions. A few days ago I noticed that there were some artifacts in the projected beam of my green laser pointer (that weren't there before) causing the dot to be surrounded by smaller scattered dots. I removed the batteries and shined my P1DCE into the business end and noticed a fiber behind the lens. I gently tapped the pointer in my hand and reinstalled the batteries and it was fine.

I'm an electronics service technician for over 19 years and have no qualms at all about taking this thing apart and would rather do it my self and have it done right than to send it back and get who knows what in return, on top of having to wait for shipping back and forth. The only thing is- I don't have any idea how this thing is put together. I'm not really crazy about possibly ruining my brand new laser by just trying to figure out how to take it apart.

Here's a pic so you know what laser I'm talking about.

DSCF1514acrrs.jpg

My questions:

1. Can the lens be safely removed without damage to the laser module or the pointer in general? (I want to clean behind the lens with canned air)

2. Does the end of the pointer unscrew or is it pressed in?

3. Will removing the lens (providing it's possible) cause the laser module to get misaligned or any other possible damage?

Thanks!!​

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kurt, there's a lot of laser discussion over at laserpointerforums. They may be able to answer questions on that particular laser.

Green lasers are more complex than the reds. The end caps are press fit or threaded (usually with glue). If you like the beam, I wouldn't mess too much with it (or buy a cheap DX greenie and experiment with it).