Battery Junction

Thread: L1 Cree beam quality

Hybrid View

Default L1 Cree beam quality

I just picked up a Cree L1 yesterday, and I already own two ML-1 builds with different beam characteristics. I must say, I was less than impressed with the quality of the Cree L1 beam. There is a SIGNIFICANT dark ring that surrounds the hotspot, and many deformities that give the beam an overall 'rough and textured' look. Is this typical of the new Cree head, or do I have a dud? I only ask because I've read nothing but good stuff about it, and I didn't know if the issue was not a widespread one.

Thanks,
    Josh
    U2 | G2L | G2Z | L4 | LX2 | A2 | E2e | Mag2C ROP-LE | ML1 | ML1-X | L1-Cree | SF-III | T1A w/ XP-G | Malkoff MD2 w/ M60L, HAIII 6P w/ M60,M61

Default Re: L1 Cree beam quality

Hi Josh.
    The beauty of that beam on a white wall leaves to be desired. Some rings, some irregularities ... somelights more and some less I guess, but as it is so hard to capture on photos, this is difficult to tell.

However ... go and use this light outside. The beam is a miracle. Perfect ground coverage in medium distances, good reach and brightness, perfect field of vision. It rivals my U2.
    This optic is one hell of a performer when usefulness is concerned. I am very very impressed with it. Just not on a white wall.

bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

I agree with Bernie. Additionally, the level of the diffusing film varies from L1 to L1. It's not an artifact-free beam, but it works pretty well for me. However, if you have a beamshot, we can tell if it's normal or not.
    *** SureFire, Ra, NovaTac, Fenix, Nitecore, Inova, Arc, Mag, Malkoff, etc.

Couldn't agree more with Bernie and Valpo on the points made. And like
    Valpo, my L1's all have slightly different diffusion on the lens.

IMO there are (3) types of beams.

#1 - PLAY BEAM - Good to play with and that's qbout it.

#2 - USER BEAM - Not good on walls but kicks ass out in the world.

#3 - USELESS BEAM - Well this one is pretty much self explanatory!

The L1-cree has an amazing "user beam" as Bernie pointed out. Give it a
    few runs out there and you'll be impressed.

Great light. Enjoy.

I had the same reaction with my E2L when I got it! I tought it was a bad one but after I playing much with it inside and outside, I stopped to see the imperfections. This is a great light! After getting the L1 that has the same exact beam, I knew it's the way it is supposed to be!

Yup, the L1 has a perfect beam for real world, all round use. I had a bit of the same reaction when I first saw the beam from my Kroma. But that too works extremely well.
    Bo Hansen
    www.theporcupine.dk
    Just say no to plate tectonics!