Imalent
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 38

Thread: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

  1. #1

    Default Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    I thought I share a few pics of some new drop in's for my minimags.

    this one is a CREE version of the TLE-5EX (left) and a 4 die smjled (right)

    [/IMG]


    here is the new Arc DS aaa rated at 10 lumens(left) and a 4 die smjled (right)

    [/IMG]
    Last edited by dd61999; 10-26-2007 at 10:56 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    I never took pics of beamshots before and I do not know what settings to use on the camera but the cree blows away the smjled and the smjled is much brighter than the new Arc DS aaa-p.

    Even though the CREE minimag is way brighter. I enjoy the SMJLED minimag more because I get insane runtimes and I use it everynight without worrying about replacing batteries. I love bringing it hiking or camping because I do not have to carry any spare batteries with me, instead I carry the arc for a back up.

  3. #3
    *Flashaholic* Burgess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,597

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Yep !


    I love my SMJLED modules in my Mini-Maglites !



    Mag Instrument should sell them as Standard Equipment.



    _

  4. #4

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    I realized I posted in the wrong forum, Can the moderator move this to the flashlight review forum

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* copperfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    770

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    I have the Seoul TLE-5EX and the hotspot is not so well defined as the cree TLE-5EX hotspot appears in these pictures. Does anybody have both the SSC and the Cree to compare?


  6. #6
    Flashaholic* nanotech17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    N 03°13.884° / E 101°29.329°
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    my drop in from terralux & smjled came in yesterday.
    impress with smjled output with no heat after 15 min use.
    but the terralux drop in becaome dim after barely 5 minutes ON with some spacer below it.So i decide to add some thermal compound paste and run it for 20 min straight with fresh alkalines with no dim or overheating that i can feel the MM body and head is getting warmer - good heatsinking sign

















    still waiting for my 2AA MM LED to complete the package



  7. #7

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Those are great pics nanotech, when you get the minimag led, could you post a beamshot with all three, I would love to see how the led compares to the tle-5ex

  8. #8
    Flashaholic* nanotech17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    N 03°13.884° / E 101°29.329°
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Finally received the MM LED and the surefires,all the MM has the UCL on them,here are some beamshots about 3 feet from the wall.

    the lights


    terralux cree


    smj LED


    minimag LED


    surefire G2L AW 1x17670


    L1 Cree 1xSF cell


    the terralux cree has some huge sidespill and huge center spot.



  9. #9
    *Flashaholic* Burgess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,597

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    to Nanotech17 --


    Thank you for your efforts !


    Were all of these latest Beamshots at the SAME exposure ?


    Any chance you could have these 3 all together ?
    (for comparison):

    Mini-Mag SMJLED
    Mini-Mag TerraLux Cree
    Mini-Mag LED 2AA


    Thank you, and good work !

    _

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* nanotech17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    N 03°13.884° / E 101°29.329°
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    sure,no problem
    from left minimag - terralux cree - smj led ( 3 feet from the wall )



  11. #11
    *Flashaholic* Burgess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,597

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    WOW !


    Sixteen Minutes Later !


    Great work, Nanotech17.




    _

  12. #12

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Quote Originally Posted by nanotech17 View Post
    my drop in from terralux & smjled came in yesterday.
    impress with smjled output with no heat after 15 min use.
    but the terralux drop in becaome dim after barely 5 minutes ON with some spacer below it.So i decide to add some thermal compound paste and run it for 20 min straight with fresh alkalines with no dim or overheating that i can feel the MM body and head is getting warmer - good heatsinking sign

    still waiting for my 2AA MM LED to complete the package
    what kind of spacer are you using under the Terralux? I want to get a little better heatsinking on mine. Thanks for the neat pics and beamshots.

  13. #13
    Flashaholic* nanotech17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    N 03°13.884° / E 101°29.329°
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    just the normal nut spacer that has the same diameter.



  14. #14

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Thanks Nanotech, those are awesome

    How does the tle-5ex compare to the minimag led and the two surefire in the real world (outdoors)? How would you rate them to each other as far as throw.

  15. #15
    Flashaholic* nanotech17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    N 03°13.884° / E 101°29.329°
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Throw :-
    1.G2L
    2.L1 Cree
    3.Minimag Led
    4.Terralux Cree

    This is because the terralux cree has a huge hotspot and it will fade off when shine it long range.But for better color render for outdoor of course the L1 cree because it has a warm nice tint just like the color of the Rebel.



  16. #16

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Quote Originally Posted by nanotech17 View Post
    just the normal nut spacer that has the same diameter.
    I have never heard of that. Can you tell me where to get them? Id sure appreciate it.

  17. #17
    gunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,529

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    I thin khe means a washer you can buy at a hardware store. This was mentioned in a couple other threads.

    Looks good!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    I thin khe means a washer you can buy at a hardware store. This was mentioned in a couple other threads.

    Looks good!
    He definitely has the neat setup.
    How would you keep a washer from shorting the 2 pins?.
    Do you have any info on the other threads?
    Ill be sure to look them up. I have searched but didnt find anything relevant. Thanks

  19. #19

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Thanks for posting all those nice pictures.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Quote Originally Posted by nanotech17 View Post
    Throw :-
    1.G2L
    2.L1 Cree
    3.Minimag Led
    4.Terralux Cree

    This is because the terralux cree has a huge hotspot and it will fade off when shine it long range.But for better color render for outdoor of course the L1 cree because it has a warm nice tint just like the color of the Rebel.

    WOW!!!!! Would you say the minimag led is brighter than the terralux too, or just more throw

  21. #21
    Flashaholic* nanotech17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    N 03°13.884° / E 101°29.329°
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    it has more throw than the terralux cree but terralux cree is brighter in short distance ( 20-25 feet)



  22. #22
    Flashaholic* cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    558

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Thank you, nanotech17.
    I suppose the Terralux is the best option. So I can stop puzzling over that smj / sandwich shoppe thread, trying to figure out what's what. I'll just get the Terralux and the lens at lighthound.

  23. #23
    Flashaholic* nanotech17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    N 03°13.884° / E 101°29.329°
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    Thank you, nanotech17.
    I suppose the Terralux is the best option. So I can stop puzzling over that smj / sandwich shoppe thread, trying to figure out what's what. I'll just get the Terralux and the lens at lighthound.
    you betcha



  24. #24
    *Flashaholic* Burgess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,597

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    to Cat --


    If yer' lookin' for the BRIGHTEST, that's it.


    But if you want Long-Runtime, and still good brightness,
    then i recommend the MJ-2aa SMJLED module from Sandwich Shoppe.


    And, of course, you can always Buy Both !


    Regardless, be sure to post your thoughts and mini-review, once you receive your item(s).


    Hope you enjoy your new light upgrade.

    _

  25. #25

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Quote Originally Posted by copperfox View Post
    I have the Seoul TLE-5EX and the hotspot is not so well defined as the cree TLE-5EX hotspot appears in these pictures. Does anybody have both the SSC and the Cree to compare?
    I have both. I originally came to this thread to see if the TLE-5EX came with different emmitters. Apparently it does. Yes, the CREE has a much better defined hotspot than the SSC. I actually have two of each. It seems to me that the SSC units are brighter and whiter than either of the CREE units. They also seem to be more uniform in color. The CREEs do have a much more defined hot spot but are warmer and the two I have are considerably different in color temperature from each other. I like the CREEs a bit better because of their beam pattern.

    Question, I bought my modules form different Ebay folks. Are the latest TLE-5EX drop in modules being made with the CREE emitters. Are perhaps the SSC units older versions?

    Phil
    Last edited by mandrake; 11-08-2007 at 08:29 PM. Reason: spelling

  26. #26
    Flashaholic* nanotech17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    N 03°13.884° / E 101°29.329°
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    if i'm not mistaken the TLE-5EX with the SSC came to the market first followed by the Cree.



  27. #27

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Quote Originally Posted by nanotech17 View Post
    if i'm not mistaken the TLE-5EX with the SSC came to the market first followed by the Cree.

    Hey Nanotech,

    Have you considered maybe doing new beam shots with a stock tail cap since the clickies kill output?

  28. #28

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Quote Originally Posted by rhuck60 View Post
    He definitely has the neat setup.
    How would you keep a washer from shorting the 2 pins?.
    Do you have any info on the other threads?
    Ill be sure to look them up. I have searched but didnt find anything relevant. Thanks
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...&postcount=163

    I did this on one of my SSC drop in lights last night. I had a washer in my parts bin (will post the size later as I am not sure, but maybe 1/4" id). It took about 5 minutes. I used Arctic Silver heat sink paste.

    You asked about shorting the leads out. This is not a problem because there is a raised plastic area in the center of bottom of the module where the leads come out. This protrudes into the center hole in the washer and will not allow the leads to be shorted.

    Have not done any testing yet. I do like it for a reason not related to the heat problem though. I have the Terralux tail switch. Before I could never be sure whether the light would come on when I clicked the switch because the head would get turned to the off position. Because this disables the MM switch, that problem is gone. It turns out that when the head is tightened down the focus is right about where I want it. Using washers of different thickness, multiple washers and/or carefully trimming the bottom of the module would allow some adjustment in the focus. I think I may look for a few copper washers to use on all of my TLE-5EX MM lights. The copper should give better heat conduction.

    Phil
    Last edited by mandrake; 11-09-2007 at 07:29 AM.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    I am surprised you guys use a clickie that causes the tle-5ex to have reduced light output.

    Is the clickie that important

  30. #30

    Default Re: Beamshots of smjled2 and CREE tle-5ex drop ins for MiniMag

    Quote Originally Posted by dd61999 View Post
    Hey Nanotech,

    Have you considered maybe doing new beam shots with a stock tail cap since the clickies kill output?
    I am a bit new here, but I think that the switch that people have said causes reduced power to the LED and therefore loss of output is the NiteIze IQ switch. I have not noticed any loss with the Terralux switch nor the "normal" non IQ NiteIze clicky. Of course if someone knows differently, I would sure like to know about it.

    Phil

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •