Need some help selecting an LED light for my wife's Grandfather

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
I don't spend a lot of time at his place, but my wife asked me to visit him last night and help fix his front door that wasn't closing properly.

As I worked in his living room I couldn't help but notice the guy is a major old-school flashaholic. Unfortunately they are all stock Maglites or plastic Ray-O-Vacs. My brother in-law says he goes through batteries like nobody's business.

I'd like to get him into the current decade with an LED upgrade for Christmas. I have three considerations;

1. Large battery capacity (i.e. long run time)
2. Large sized on/off button (arthritis)
3. Possibility rechargeable.

My first thought was to buy him a new D-cell Maglite with Terralux LED upgrade. If I do, would a 3-cell have more run-time than a 2-cell?

I'm also on the fence about getting him involved with NiMH D cells and a charger. What say CF? Are NiMH cells safe and "idiot-proof" enough for the old guy?

And lastly, am I missing anything obvious out there in the market right now that offers long run times with about 100-150 lumens of power? Of course I'd like to keep my purchase under $100

Thanks for your suggestions

GregWormald

Enlightened
I'll suggest that seeing as he is already a battery buyer, and has a selection of Maglites, that your best bet is a collection of LED drop-ins for his existing lights.
He gets better light, uses fewer batteries, and all switches etc. continue to work the same as always.
Greg

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest a fenix L1Tv2 or L2Tv2 and some sanyo eneloop LSD Nimh batteries along with the Maha battery charger.

Very simple interface: momentary, push on, push off, with a head twist for the Low level. Beautiful beam compared to the old Krypton bulbs. Recommend the L2Tv2 for more oomph ~140 lumens.

If you want to go dropin, get him the Malkoff and he'll be impressed.

Last edited:

saildude

Newly Enlightened
Since he already has a pile of Mag Lites I would just sneak in some standard Mag Led bulbs - more light and way longer run time - the 2D & 3D stock Mag LED have about the same run time 20+ hrs but the 3D has more light.

Yes there will be a bunch that don't like the stock Mag Led - I swapped my 3 stock Mags to LED's for around the home stuff and in case of power outage - simple quick and easy - there are a lot of other ways to go that will show up in the thread here - I did look at some of the alternatives and was not all that impressed - I have several other lights - the Streamlight 2AA LED ProPoly is my current kick around for general use light - nice amount of light - not too bright and good run time.

A mini-review I did on the 2AA
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176741

Review of the Mag Led's
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm

mb

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.

The MagLite LED drop-in sounds like a good, simple solution.

One last question; one much run-time does the 3D TerraLux drop-in get when compared to the 3D MagLite brand drop-in?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I don't have the new Terralux TLE-6EX (4-6 cell) or 6EXB (for 2-3 cell) drop-ins, but you should find them a *lot* brighter than the standard Mag-LED upgrades. Not sure of runtime, but since they are based on the more efficient SSC and not the older luxeons, I would think they are a much better bet all the way around (especially for a flashaholic). This would be my first choice, and are only ~$25 each.

As for my second choice, I'd recommend the L2T v2.0. This should impress him on how much output you can get on 2AA. The forward clicky and simple UI should also be easy for him to operate.

I would think that pair would really help usher him into the LED world! :thumbsup:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Terralux TLE-6EX is supposed to run for 20 hours on 4D batteries and is brighter then the maglite drop-in. The Maglite might has longer runtime(on a 4D) mostly because there will be even less output due to heat from the LED. The terralux drop-in would be brighter then the maglite from the start. The maglite drop-in will start bright and dim quickly due to heat from the LED.

1 what

Enlightened
I'd go for the terralux option.
I've got the 6EX in a 5D Mag and am impressed with (a) how well it works as an inexpensive mod and (b) the run time. I must be up to the mentioned 20 hours and no decrease in output. The output and battery life will blow his sox off if he's not seen LEDs before and already thinks Mags are hot.

Gaffle

Enlightened
I know nothing about the new LED drop-ins, but I have an additional light to think about.:naughty:

Streamlight ProPoly Lux 3C. It is a big light, but not huge. Easy clicky forward with momentary on. Oval/textured body for nice grip, and it has a clip built onto the body. This sucker is really bright to boot.

Of course to make this package a winner you could buy a NiMH charger and LSD C cells.:thumbsup:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I'll bet for less than $100 you can get him the TerraLux and a LumaPower LM31. It's got a nice big button, easy to press, SSC and he'll be impressed how much light he can put in his pocket.

LumaPower LM31 80 lumens 1 x AA with Seoul SSC P4 LED $31.00

Battery Junction - 5% off code: cpf2006

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-lm301.html
You've posted nearly the same thing in like 5 threads now! I must say good job spreading the word about a great light! Keep it up man. I 'm doing it too.
:party:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would opt for a rechargeable light with a charging cradle.
F.e. (maaaa, I hate myself for this, as I hate the lights): the Coast/Led Lenser rechargeable David,
or, when COST is not Your primary issue, something like a SF 9N

Mag insert for guy using Mags is the best idea, especially because
I dont suggest Fenix' "L" models!
1st: if not used to multilights, not good (maybe an incan flashoholic will get used to them), but
2nd: not with old hands. I see myself liking lights with larger diameter way more than the slippery and small Fenix "L". My grandparents, with their old hands, could never use nor cahnge the batts with such a light.

another idea were a Fenix "P" model + CR123 rechargeables (protected ones)

Can he change the batts of the Mags without problems? That end cap spring can be a bit stiff ...

KuoH

Newly Enlightened
While it is a good bright light, I think someone who has been used to stock MAGs will find the hotspot too small for general use. I have one and never use it, but I do keep it in the car along with a PP 4AA Lux as backups. I would suggest the RayOVac 4W from Menards, as it's similar in shape and feel to a MAG, has a good sized hotspot and can be unfocused to a floodlight. KuoH
Streamlight ProPoly Lux 3C. It is a big light, but not huge. Easy clicky forward with momentary on. Oval/textured body for nice grip, and it has a clip built onto the body. This sucker is really bright to boot.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know nothing about the new LED drop-ins, but I have an additional light to think about.:naughty:

Of course to make this package a winner you could buy a NiMH charger and LSD C cells.:thumbsup:
I was thinking the PRO POLY 4 AA Luxeon. it runs on AAs and the yellow version looks like a "regular "flashlight to the uninformed.:sssh:
I gave one to my Grandmother and didn't tell her what it was and waited for her comments. She could not believe how bright the Streamlight was, compared to any other flashlight she'd ever seen. I later told her about the miracle of LED technology, she's "seen the light" now as well.
The Streamlight Pro Poly also comes in black. at $30 it's an incredible value .

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Well I think I can help you. I am also buying my Grandfather a flashlight for x-mas. He is'nt a big fan of LED's so Im getting him a surefire G2, and a box or two of batteries. It is easy for someone with arthritus to use, push momentary or tighten for constant on. A brand new G2, and a box of batts would be $57.00 . And then for his B-day which is a couple weeks later, Im going to get him a spares carrier and a spare lamp.

john46268

Newly Enlightened
You've posted nearly the same thing in like 5 threads now! I must say good job spreading the word about a great light! Keep it up man. I 'm doing it too.
:party:

I'm earning suck-up points towards a new light :p
hehe j/k I like to spread the word of a great deal and I'm super
happy with mine, I'll probably give out a couple for x-mas this year,
as they're amazing in quality and brightness. Keep up the good work bud!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2C Mag with a MagLED or a TerraLUX would be my choice.The 2C form factor is very nice.Not as large or heavy as the D-cell Mags but should still have decent runtime with the LEDs.Home Depot has 2C Maglights for about $16.The 3C Mag is also nice but they are far less common and will not be as inexpensive as the 2C.FWIW I believe the Luxeon lottery is a big factor in Magleds.I have two different 2cell modules , one is significantly brighter than the other and I have seen this mentioned before on this forum by others.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he didn't already have the Mags I would have recommended a Streamlight ProPoly Lux, either 3C or 4AA. They are very bright with good runtime, very rugged, and have enough throw to impress people used to the Mags throw. Since he already has a few Mags, I suggest you get the TerraLux replacements and another light that is different than what he already has. You didn't say whether he has an EDC. Show him a few of yours and see what he likes, he might appreciate a small, bright easy to carry light like a JetBeam or an L1D.