Jetbeam C-LE Quality?

revmarktx

Newly Enlightened
After much research I decided to order the C-LE. My choices were:

1. Jetbeam C-LE
2. Fenix L1D
3. Olight T15

I wanted a 1AA light for an EDC. I didn't want to have to mess with Lithium and cost was a consideration. For the size, and price I decided to go with the Jetbeam.

Now my questions:

1. For those who have received a Jetbeam C-LE 2.0, how is the quality? Do you think it has improved over the previous models?
  2. How is the output and beam quality? From what I have read it appears that the L1D and T15 are a little brighter. Do you think it is makes a difference in real life use?
  3. Are you happy with your C-LE 2.0? Would you buy it again or would you buy something else?
Thanks
Reverend Mark

revmarktx

Newly Enlightened
I have used the search feature and there is not much here addresing if jetbeam has improved the quality from v1.2 to v2.0. Selfbuilt addresses it, but quality is about more than 1 or 2 samples. I appreciate your help

onthebeam

Enlightened
Use the search feature. There are already many good reviews.
Yes, but in the time you took to write this, you could have provided some advice to the specific questions addressed in this valid and interesting thread.

I think the CL-E version 2 is improved from earlier versions. It's now a bit longer and typical length for AA lights. The 1.2 was shorter and one of the most compact AA lights, but its downfall was switching inconsistencies, now solved with the clickie switch.

One thing I don't like about it is that although it has an orangepeel reflector, the led is set back from the reflector. This gives the beam a bit of ringyness and a stronger spot versus fill.

Another plus is a pretty low low that I'd estimate at about 7 lumens. It's lower than the competition. On the high side, it's plenty bright and on par with others, at least in terms of the spot.

Dr.K

Enlightened
I agree with ^. I am gonna get some as christmas gifts this year, great quality for the $$.

You are right, not as bright. But, very useful none the less.

I give one thumbs up.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the v1.2 twisty and the 2.0 clickie.

1)Between these two versions I feel the overall quality is about the same. The threading on the 2.0 is a little better, but then again, there's no need to keep twisting it like the earlier models. Just as a note, after cleaning and lubing the threads and changing the o-ring to something smaller, my v1.2 twists and changes modes nicely. The clickie switch on the 2.0 works well.

2)I don't own an L1D or T15 but I feel the output of the JETBeam is very good. I was impressed when I got them. My 2.0 appears brighter than my 1.2, but feel it's just a sample thing. Also, my 2.0 has a distinct spot to the beam and has a lot of throw for a single AA light. Not so good for closer work but will do the job just fine. It's nice to have the throw if you need it if that's all you're carrying at the time. My v1.2 is a little flood'ier. The tint on both of mine could be considered as white. I can't really say it seems to be a little bit this, or a little bit that in hue. They're nice!

3)Sure, I thought about getting another one. :) But I have both versions so don't really need one. I mostly carry the 2.0 and the twisty stays at home. The one-handed mode switching is nicer with the clickie.

The runtimes are great, nice low low, and the knurling and anodizing is very nice for the price. Mine match well. It's a great value making it easy to give it.. :twothumbs.

Love 'em!

cles2bov5.jpg

bullterrier

Enlightened
it looks like the clips on Gerber Infinity Ultra Task Light:whistle:
and it's looking superb on the jet-beam

sorry fore my englis im from sweden:naughty:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lite_me, I really like the clips on your JetBeams. Did those come with the lights?
No... bullterrier is right about the one on the v2.0, it came with a Gerber Infinity Ultra. They're about $17. I put a Lithium e2 in the Gerber and threw it in the glove box in the car. Not very bright but it'll run fer about 100 hrs. :) The other clip, I think, is from a Mini-Mag.. 2aa. I found it in my flashlight junk drawer. :rolleyes:

The JETBeams come with a lanyard. I like to clip the light inside my front pocket in my jeans. That's usually what I'm waring. The Gerber one works pretty well.

I'm with you, I think more lights should come with (nice) clips. :poke:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a couple JetBeam C-LE v2. Never had the earlier versions. The build quality of the lights is great. The finish on them seems great. They are a bit dim on high compared to some of my other small Fenix lights, but I don't have a Fenix 1AA light yet for direct comparison. The existing reports though pretty much tell the story here. High is very usable however. I really LOVE the Low, it is low-low. The tint on mine is nice, no problems.

I've mentioned several times I don't like the UI. The mode-memory would be great but it means that you often have to cycle through strobe and SOS to get the mode you want if you need to change modes. This really bugs me because I think this light would be so great without these modes, that are not really needed on such a light.

So I give the light 1 Thumb up. I would have bough 5 more if the UI was to my liking. As it is 1 will go to some 3rd World country for a workout, and the other will probably stay with me until a friend takes a liking to it, or I gift it to someone and see how they feel about it.

If the UI is not going to bother you, I think you will love it!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i got my bro a cle v2, and it is great. quality is flawless (and i own a u2) and beam is also perfect. Its tint is perfect and the ui is great too- much better than my mk2x. I honestly have no gripes with it. None whatsoever. Its a great light.

gunga

Flashaholic
Well, I've had 4 C-LEs, 2 x V1.0, 2 x V1.2. All have been quite good, with no serious flaws(even the threading was fine on all versions).

They've all been quite good. I needed to sand down the battery contact on a couple of them because they put dents in my precious eneloops. :thumbsdow

Overall tho, a very nice well priced light that has nicer finishing than many Fenixes!

1 of the lights failed after I sold to someone, but luckily Jetbeam replaced it (took me 2 months to get it tho!).

I think I will be gifting my last v1.2, because I have a 2.0 on the way and much prefer the clicky for this UI.

A nice light, good for the money. I like the size and look of the twisty, but I think the UI works better with the clicky.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the Minimag clip fit on the v2?
Yep! They may not look it in the pic but they are the same size around. Or real close.

Edit: Well, as an after thought, the mini-Mag clip fits but doesn't stay on very well. If you look closely in my pic you can see some electrical tape around the clip. That holds it on so it doesn't slip off. I stretch the tape while wrapping and it stays put pretty well. Good electrical tape with good adhesive makes all the difference.

Last edited:

Dark Matter

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the Jetbeam C-LE and the Hyperion. Both lights look like they were made by the same factory due to knurling similarities. I like the memory function of the last light level used feature on these lights. These are good quality lights for the $$$.

revmarktx

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for everyones help on this. I purchased the C-LE from bugoutgearusa.com and can't wait to get it. To date the brightest LED I have is a 2aa minmag LED ($15 clearance from wally world). It will be great to have something brighter in this form factor. I'll write a review when I get it.

Thanks again
Reverend Mark

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
the quality of the cle is good for the money. it's not at fenix quality quality by any means though. fenix does have better quality and brighter output so you do get more for what you pay.
for ppl on a budget, it's a great deal. can't really comment on the olight because i never owned one.

would i recommend? honestly no. this is the reason. flashlights are going to last a while. i feel that the 15 dollar difference between the l1d and the cle 2.0 is minimal considering how long you would own one. i also like the fact that there is an option to upgrade with the body. so there's a bit of flexibility.
i did have a mix match with my cle in the anodizing coating. it was pretty bad but still acceptable by jetbeam standards so i was pretty unhappy about that.

Report Card
Beam B+ (near l1d)
UI B (memory mode and 5 stage sort of dont mesh, you have to go through strobe/sos)
Build B- (okay, not great not bad..threads ok, bit rough..reported anodizng color mixmatches)
Jetbeam CS C (talk is cheap)
BOG USA CS A (class act)

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep! They may not look it in the pic but they are the same size around. Or real close.

Edit: Well, as an after thought, the mini-Mag clip fits but doesn't stay on very well. If you look closely in my pic you can see some electrical tape around the clip. That holds it on so it doesn't slip off. I stretch the tape while wrapping and it stays put pretty well. Good electrical tape with good adhesive makes all the difference.

Awesome! Thanks for the idea, I'll be giving it a try as soon as I get my Jetbeam.

Gaffle

Enlightened
Jetbeam CS C (talk is cheap)

I don't think I would give Jetbeam CS a score that low right now. After reading numerous posts in the Marketplace, Jetbeam has really stepped up CS. A lot of people have been able to return their v1.2 for the new v2.0. Sounds like the returns were way easy. It seems that Jetbeam is really listening.

Actually I am quite sure that every negative post in the Marketplace has been resolved. That is a real GJ IMO.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got mine today and I must say I am very impressed with everything about this light. I also got a MM clip on there, had to bend it a littleso I would fit (was a little too narrow for the C-LE) but it works great.