• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

CREE Q5 @ 1A on MCPCB 650 Okay?

mfrey

Enlightened
Wayne,

Is it "safe" to run a Q5 at 1 amp mounted to a MCPCB 650? I know that some express concerns regarding how other PCBs resist thermal transfer to the metal substrate at the cost of the emitter's performance and longevity. Is that a concern with the MCPCB 650?

Thank you.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne,

Is it "safe" to run a Q5 at 1 amp mounted to a MCPCB 650? I know that some express concerns regarding how other PCBs resist thermal transfer to the metal substrate at the cost of the emitter's performance and longevity. Is that a concern with the MCPCB 650?

Thank you.

I don't know where you get your concerns from, but, you can't do much better than a MCPCB. Almost every LED nowdays is mounted this way and the 650 MCPCB is no different than the rest.

You will need to mount the 650 MCPCB to some heatsink as the MCPCB by itself will not handle the power you desire. Mounting the 650 to an appropriate heat sink you should have no problems driving well past 1A and the performance and lumen maintenance is more dependant on your heat sink you mount the 650 MCPCB. I believe the 650 has somewhere in the 2-5C/W thermal resistance. That means if you could bolt the 650 to an infinite heat sink the LED slug or base would only rise 10C above ambient if you put 2W into the LED. The thermal resistance is probably lower than 2-5C/W. I have not measured it.

Wayne

mfrey

Enlightened
Thanks for the thorough reply, Wayne. This site makes me crazy. I didn't need a new hobby.

Latest posts