Compass watch, Timex Expedition 49201

oregon

Enlightened
TIMEX Expedition E-Compass Titanium # 49201

I've been beating the bushes for years for a good compass and came across a Timex watch with a compass feature.

I wondered if anyone has handled or owns one?

It appeals to me having a watch doubling as a compass rather than a watch and a compass. The indiglo feature would make the compass viewable at night.

Does the compass work well? Is the compass robust and easy to view?

All the best,

oregon

paulr

Flashaholic
Haven't tried that specific model but I've messed with various electronic compasses and my conclusion is that except for special applications (e.g. computer interface, high shock, etc) they're not worth the hassle and it's better to get an old fashioned mechanical compass with a needle. I have a 5 dollar Brunton GITD compass in my daypack and it comes in handy fairly regularly. It weighs 0.5 oz or so, is smaller than an Oreo cookie, and it never needs batteries.

oregon

Enlightened
better to get an old fashioned mechanical compass with a needle

Much appreciated sage advise. The GID Brunton is a real gem. And, a hearty thankyou for the pull on the shoulder as I am about to step off the gadgetry cliff.

Here is the pitch that put the hook in me for this titanium, yes you can eat the leather strap:), watch: http://www.thecompassstore.com/t49201.html

The analog compass needle rests at twelve oclock until you press the button then the needle points north for 20 seconds when it returns to twelve oclock.

My usual MO is to find out everything I can about a piece of gear, find a reason to reject it just before the point of purchase and then walk away. Perhaps this watch is too thick like many of the Casios.

All the best,

oregon

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I have had a couple Timex Expedition compass watches. My first one was a digital watch, it seemed to work ok. My current Timex Expedition is combination analog and digital. The compass is still digital but it seems much more responsive than the older generation Expeditions. As to accuracy, I can find my way with it, but I wouldn't want to try an orienteering course with it. The compass seems fairly well shielded against outside interference, or at least I haven't been in or around too many buildings/structures that throw off the compass.

I have thought about buying one of the needle based Expeditions, but I don't really need a new watch, mine works just fine. Would I trust mine in a survival situation? If it was all I had, yes. Would I prefer something else, definitely. It's hard to beat your basic Silva or Brunton baseplate compass.

oregon

Enlightened
It's hard to beat your basic Silva or Brunton baseplate compass.

Your candid experience with Timex compass watches is much appreciated. The fact that you bot a 2nd one speaks volumes.

The golden rule you allude to, one watch at a time...Hmmmmmm. I admire the discipline.

I've been banging around India (where a surprising number of compasses are made), online that is, for pocket watch type enclosed brass compasses. I'll post if I find anything sweet. Tough traders the East Indians. Learned much from the British. The import equation: find something, come to terms and import. Each step has its challenges.

Oh. And, before I forget paulr and rebelRAM here is proof (suitable for framing) that someone listened to each of you: a pic taken of a new GID Brunton (made in Riverton, Wyoming) keyring compass (SAK Mechanic for scale):
P1040130.jpg

All the best,

oregon

Last edited:

ugrey

Enlightened
Get a Suunto compass that clips onto your watch band. They run about $8 and they are accurate and they work. You won't need to hit a button on your watch, just look down and read the direction. I have had mine for 2 years now. Clip it on and wear any watch you want, digital or analog.

oregon

Enlightened
Get a Suunto compass that clips onto your watch band. They run about $8 and they are accurate and they work. You won't need to hit a button on your watch, just look down and read the direction. I have had mine for 2 years now. Clip it on and wear any watch you want, digital or analog.

Thank you ugrey for the tip. I bot a few similar watchband compasses from DX. They were rubber fixtures with compasses so they went on the watchband with some flexibility. Most had bubbles in the compass. The one with the smallest bubble went on my Wenger metal watchband and stayed there for a month or so until it ripped off when I caught it on something. I will try a Suunto version.

The Timex compass watch is 13 millimeters (0.51 inch) thick. That is a thick watch and is about twice as thick as my current Wenger titanium. Dang deal breaker I think. It would catch on any long-sleeved clothing and snag on many externalities I might get closs to with my wrist. And, the crystal is not scratch resistant.

Funny, none of the online vendors would take a side-view of the watch for me. Timex does not provide such a view either. I can wait for the next gen.

Really appreciate and enjoy the feedback. You guys are all right.

All the best,

oregon