Thoughts on Cold Steel knives:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you guys think about Cold Steel fixed blades and folders? I probably wouldn't pick a CS folder over a Spydie or a Benchmade, but how are their fixed blades? Are they really that good or just marketing BS? I've just watched their "Special Forces Shovel" video, I haven't stop laughing yet...

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxFJmx5ymiI
:confused:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
A knife store owner was once showing some knives to my friend and me, and when demonstrating a CS kukri (I think), he cut himself. Like any good workman, he blamed the tool, saying "oh, CS has terrible designs."

:rolleyes:

So, to answer your question, I don't know. I just wanted to share the anecdote. :grin2:

Last edited:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the shovel, but I have a Cold Steel LTC Kukri that I've used camping for a few years and it rocks. I were going to be the only survivor in a plane crash or stranded on a deserted island this is the one I would want at my side or in my gear.

paulr

Flashaholic
They are given to marketing BS but the knives are not that bad. Some of the designs are better than others. For all the ones I've had (fixed and folder) the manufacturing quality has been quite good, and for most of them I'd say the value per dollar was good (there were a few dogs). Use your judgement.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are given to marketing BS but the knives are not that bad. Some of the designs are better than others. For all the ones I've had (fixed and folder) the manufacturing quality has been quite good, and for most of them I'd say the value per dollar was good (there were a few dogs). Use your judgement.
But how about those knives above 200 dollars, are they worth it?

mchlwise

Enlightened
I don't own any Cold Steel knives, and probably won't ever.

From what I've heard/read: some of their knives are pretty good quality, some are not, but it's really hard to tell which are which through all the marketing B.S.

I wouldn't ever buy one without handling it to see for myself first.

paulr

Flashaholic
I haven't had any of those and I'd be skeptical of spending that much on a CS. That's getting into high end territory and CS is too into bogo-merchandising to be considered at that level which calls for more straightforwardness. CS are good value factory produced knives. I've had several CS's in the 50-70 dollar range and been satisfied with them, and some of the less expensive ones (e.g. the Hudson Bay series) have been delightful bargains.

Keep an eye out for their so called "factory seconds" which is just a merchandising trick for creating some price differentials while selling what amounts to the exact same knives.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Short answer: NO!

Detailed answer: Take it from someone who collects both knives AND lights. At $200, you are getting diminishing returns in terms of quality, by buying a CS knife. Some of Lynn Thompson's less expensive offerings are indeed good designs...... They should be, considering he rips off popular designs from others, then has those knives made for less money overseas. But the best part is how Mr. Thompson then turns around and claims how other knife makers are rip-off artists.

I've owned CS knives in the past. I don't buy CS knives based on principle. A lot of others in the knife community feel the same way. (Check out Bladeforums.com). Ironically, I've seen very few folks on CPF who refuse to buy a Made in China light. But when it comes to CS knives, a significant percentage of knife collectors and Users won't buy CS products. (What can you say about a CEO who is less popular than China with its recognized business practices).

Last edited:

cutlerylover

Banned
I have had very good cold steel knives and also not so good knives from them so for me its hit and miss, I cna care less about their marketing though, I find it entertaining, but don't buy their stuff because of it, I buy their stuff because I like the knives and they perform well...Actually I never owned one of their fixed blades except for a snall neck knife that is to my liking...

Paladin

Enlightened
These are not their higher end knives, and I feel they represent good utility value for the $, as long as you don't get stuck paying full retail.

Trailmaster Bowie in Carbon V steel ("limb" remover)
original Recon Tanto (made in USA, edc'd for years)
zytel Tanto (airline carried prior to 9/11)
Kobun boot knife (wicked sharp, decent kydex sheath)
Master Hunter in Carbon V steel (maintains an edge great, prone to staining though)
Captured_2007-2-26_00000.jpg

Paladin

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not a knife expert but the Push Daggers are very nice. However they generally only have 1 purpose and it isn't utilitarian. I like Puma knives personally but its kind of like lights, to each his own.

gorn

Enlightened
Some people are not too happy with Cold Steel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24lO48laJsQ

OK, so they take a low end model and do stupid things to it. I can't imagine ever being in a situation where I would have to hit a blade with an axe or shoot it with a .308

Maybe the fool will do a comparison on one of the better cold steel knives. I have owned serveral cold steel knives, spears and axes over the years. Some are cheap and meant for actual use. The others are high end knives that I would put up against any mass produced knife.

cutlerylover

Banned
video link was entertaining, but useless, it does not say anythgin about that knife in terms of quality...I have seen true samurai swordsa split a bullet in two while shot at, but that was dead onto the edge, not the side, lol...I think that ANY knife would hold up just as good as the cold steel knife did in that video, infact, alot of knives might have even broke in half with that 1st or second axe blow...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... I like Puma knives personally but its kind of like lights, to each his own.

I'm guessing you own an older example of a Puma knife. The ones nowadays are expensive, and far less quality than they used to be. :(

Same with Gerber....

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ones I have are 5-10 years old. Seems like quality has dropped on so many things now, but another topic I guess.

paulr

Flashaholic
I should say all my CS's are also 5+ years old, so maybe they're worse now. I wasn't aware of widespread serious refusals to buy them. I'd probably check out the issues and take them into consideration before buying any more, but I'm not into knives much these days anyway. I didn't know any were Chinese-made though I know some (at least back in the day) were from Japan.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched the video, pretty silly if you ask me. I don't know anybody who will hit their knife edge with an ax or shoot the blade with a rifle either. I have seen the guys on TV hit their knives with stones though but it was on the other side of the blade (Survivorman, Man vs Wild). Don't know what knives they used though and it was more of a tap than a heavy blow.

Latest posts