• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

If only one (1)....

lyte~speede

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

Newer guy here. Although I just found CPF I've been collecting light engines for some time. BUT, I've never owned a 'Gizmo. So,... to get me started (I'm certain from what I've read and learned from you folks I won't stop at one) where should I start? -OR- If you could have just ONE which model would it be?? Let your praise for a specific lamp begin...

Cheers.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! Are you talking about which to EDC? I've only ever owned a PD but it would be my recommedation because it is small enought for EDC and has good throw, good light levels, and good runtimes.
The Mule is more for up close or area lighting. The upcoming Lunasol is good but the head would be a tad big for me to EDC. There are some CPF'ers that own many different flavours of McLux creations so their opinions will certainly carry more weight than mine. Even still, I think the McLuxx III PD-S is the best all around light of the family.

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
I always EDC a mule and either a Ti- PD-S or Ti S27-PD, depending on the size of the watch pocket of the jeans I'm wearing. The mule is really amazing, but it needs to be accompanied by a light with some throw IMO.

So if I could only have one, I would choose the Ti PD-S. It's small enough to carry no matter what I'm wearing and has a good combination of throw and spill. It's the best all rounder, even though the mule absolutely destroys it at close ranges.

AlecGold

Enlightened
I owned a XR19-C and it was a good EDC light, but just a bit large. I've now got a McLuxIii-t which is almost the same as an oldschool Pd but with twisty action only, and I think this is a better EDCable light because of the small formfactor. It fits in my 5th pocket and is more than sufficient in my regular light needs. Still I'm gonna swap the emitter for the CPF credo is more lumens AND more runtime! Most perfect combo is a 27 and a mule together, close up flood and a spot for more distant objects.

lyte~speede

Newly Enlightened
thanks so far.

ODDJOB: Yes EDC even though I may not EDC. I like my lights to have EDC fuctionality AND be an example of artistic industrial engineering. This way I can rotate and not get bored, errr..., enjoy my collection.

and to continue...

?? Real differences between MULE and Ti-PD-S??

AlecGold

Enlightened
Nah, PD-S is not a throw monster, it is a very nice middle road between flood and throw. and therefore also a nice EDC light. You can use it indoors, you can use it outdoors, but indoors it is no comparison against a mule as outdoors it is no comparison against a larger reflector.
My McLuxIII-T is every day on my belt. I also have a SF 6P with a turbo reflector on it. When I go walk the dog of the neighbours (or just walk around a bit) in the more rural part, I can light up the path with my T, I can usually find the dog with it as well, I can look at a map with it, but I can't search for the dog when it has strayed off some 100 to 150 meters. That is where a Turbo Reflector comes in handy.
At very close range a T can blind someone. At 15/30 meters it is useless for blinding. It's annoying at the best. The Turbo can easily blind at 15/30 meters.
With a mule the differences are less obvious, but indoors you tend to bounce against the ceiling when using a more hotspotted light, with the mule you just point approximatley and you don't have to point-look, point-look etc. it is much easier going on your eyes.

But why are you looking for a McGizmo light? Just because the fact you can buy and (ab)use it and it won't stop shining? Or the technical/industrial/uncomprimising design? Or are you a Titanium Junky, like a lot of us overhere?
The light will be performing the same (there is a slight chance that it is performing a little less, with heath management etc.) as an aluminium light. So you can buy a aluminium light with the same properties for a lot less. If it looses a bit of it's diameter on the tarmac (one fellow CPF'er tried to shave it down when falling with his scooter) you can easily replace the light and still save a lot of money.

That question is a bit hard to answer for myself, I'm a Ti-junkie, my ballpoints and fountainpen are made of a previous-McLaren-F1-car-part and therefore Titanium, my glasses (well, the frame then) are made of Ti, hell, even the back of my notepad is Grade1 Ti :D. Only my pocket knife isn't Ti, that is a Stellite/6K kiridashi from Ansø So am I a Ti-Junkie? Well, I would think so :)
Then there is the looks of this light, it is very nice, small and working like a charm, it is upgrade-able designed, it is strong and though and it just cured my itch :D

Last edited:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A PD-S would be my pick as well. While the Mule's pure flood, due to no reflector, is great, I don't consider it a viable EDC, since it won't illuminate anything beyond close range (30-40 ft or less).

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
The mule is an excellent EDC if backed up by a light with some throw though. If you have enough room for it the Mule + PD-S/S27 combo is unbeatable :grin2:

white light

Enlightened
:welcome:I just recently got my mule :twothumbsand I have to say I have used it every day since then.I don't have a PD-S yet:sigh:,But I was using my Maxlite Extreme as an EDC.I still carry it but in my job its not really needed.If you plan on using it mostly for area lighting the mule is the way to go:thumbsup:That's just my opinion,Good Luck!

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, someone needs to go against the crowd. If I could only have one, it would DEFINITELY be an S27-PD. :twothumbs

:welcome:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
When looking at functionality I'd choose the LunaSol becasue of the two different beams. But since the head is a 27 it might be a bit on th elarge side for pocket carry ... and the most universal offering is the PD-S, agreed.
The Mule is perfect illumination superior to anything else ... if either you or the light can reach the target. For distance or light polluted areas the Mule doesn't have enough punch, meaning no spot.

So ... of course I could not help, but talked anyway :D

It is good to have choices.

bernie

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the LunaSol will fit my needs as an EDC, I don't (think I'll) mind the larger head. However I am certain that this will be my one and only McGizmo product because I can barely take all this flak from my friends and family about me wanting a 600+ Titanium flashlight!:laughing:

(just dont' think about it, just dont' think about it, it makes u smile, thats all that matters...:devil:)

Mayo

Latest posts