PK Design Lab
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: LOD CE head fits new Steamlight Microsteam body (tactical switch)

Flashaholic

Shrug Re: LOD CE head fits new Steamlight Microsteam body (tactical switch)

BONDR006--you said "I found a local place that sells them for just $14.99".
    Would you mind divulging where you found it? I checked all of the stores in my area that I **thought** might have one--Dick's Sporting Goods, REI, Gander Mountain, and Cabela's. Nobody stocked the little guy.

Flashaholic

Shrug Re: LOD CE head fits new Steamlight Microsteam body (tactical switch)

Oops--sorry. Double post has been removed.
    Last edited by Flashlike; 11-03-2007 at 07:12 PM.

Default Re: LOD CE head fits new Steamlight Microsteam body (tactical switch)

Yes, I'd like to know too since I'm in your general area.
    One thing I've noticed about my MicroStream, and others have mentioned it too, the switch has an odd sensitivity to sideways vibrations or impacts.
    In other words, it presses normally and doesn't seem overly sensitive, but if it's laying on a table off and you tap or bang on the table like you're working on something, the MicroStream will flash on with each bump. Also if you lay it down it will flash on when it makes contact with the surface. This might make a multi-mode head a little more odd to use, but I guess if the head doesn't have a memory of the last level it would be ok. Just a note...
    Last edited by RebelXTNC; 11-03-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Sure thing. There are two local places I found that has them. I called them both, and they both have them in stock.

DILLON SUPPLY COMPANY
    440 CIVIC BLVD.
    Raleigh, NC 27602
    919-838-4200
    800-662-7304

LAWMENS SAFETY SUPPLY INC
    3319 ANVIL PLACE
    Raleigh, NC 27603
    919-779-6141
    800-426-3486
    Last edited by bondr006; 11-04-2007 at 04:45 AM.
    Rob Bond - My Lights - Needs some serious Updating

Thanks for the info bondr006.

Botach has them also: http://www.botachtactical.com/stmipe.html
    Last edited by Patriot; 11-04-2007 at 12:07 AM.

just adding that not only the LOD head fits the Stylus Pro Body (2xAAA) but also that all levels work (w/ Alks or NiMh).
    Regards,
    The perfect ligths IMO : Fenix LOD 01, TK40; Nitecore D10

So would the runtime be the same as a regular L0D?

Any chance this will work with other Fenix AAA lights?
    Last edited by judgecrandall; 11-08-2007 at 09:25 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by RebelXTNC View Post
    One thing I've noticed about my MicroStream, and others have mentioned it too, the switch has an odd sensitivity to sideways vibrations or impacts.
    Funny, my Microstream is not sensitive to sideways vibrations at all. Tapped it even on a couple of hard surfaces no problem.

But the switch on mine is VERY hard to get to click-on (momentary is fine). It requires too much activation pressure, so I've decided that I would not dismantle it and an L0D to make a Frankenlight. It's a pretty cool light on its own however, and for the price I like it.

It could be they have a few quality control issues however and the switch assembly might be a source of issues.

Next time I'm ordering something, I might just order another to see how the switch performs. Maybe I can break this one in.

Removing the switch looked difficult as no slots were in the retaining ring. I suppose I could drill a couple. Has anyone else disassembled the tail cap?

Flashaholic*

Mine's not sensitive to any type of vibration either, at least right now. I smacked it all up, no problem. What I can't believe is that some of you guys got the head separated easily. I tried everything, finally got it off after squirting the seam with Tuf-Glide, putting the battery tube in a vise tight enough to slightly bend it out of shape, and then lock a vise-grip directly onto the metal head (*screeeeech*) to screw it off. Strap wrenches didn't work, nor did anything else until the extreme measures above. I put the battery tube back into the vise to bend it back into an "O" shape, works fine. Great job by the OP ... I never would have been persistent enough to get the head off that thing if I didn't already know the L0D fit on it.
    Last edited by Joe Talmadge; 11-07-2007 at 10:46 PM.

Flashaholic

Cbubu--I thought that this setup would be the perfect setup, so I **had** to order a Microstream to try it (I already have a Fenix L0D-CE).
    The threads seem to match quite well, as you said. However, the switch on mine is a real bearcat..
    StandardBattery said his switch was really hard to depress, too. In my opinion it is not acceptable. The momentary is OK, but I can't activate the switch (to constant on setting) using my thumb at all because it needs to be depressed too far to turn it on. And I can **barely** activate it using my index finger.
    I'm sending mine back to Streamlight. I dislike a flashlight that is difficult to turn on and off!

Flashaholic*

I did find that I could remove the rubber boot for the switch from the back, just kind of push it sideways and you can pop it out.

I should note I have not been able to get the switch boot back on.

With the boot off it is much easier to depress.

The switch actually seems like a nice switch but it just needs to be pressed in too far. If you use something small to push the end of the cap it switches easily, but with the boot on it's very difficult to do with the thumb.
    Last edited by StandardBattery; 11-08-2007 at 07:53 PM.

I picked up one of these also. I was very disappointed with the switch too. Way too difficult to activate. I haven't tried to remove the head yet. Not sure if I will either because of the switch. I kinda would like to try the clip on one of my LOD's. I think it would look nice on the new Q4 Red one I have coming. Has any one tried to remove it yet? I toyed with it briefly and it wouldn't budge. Didn't want to bend it or scratch something. .
    "Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it."

Flashaholic

Yea, this poorly designed switch was a grand disappointment for me. I thought about removing the boot, but decided against it. Like I said, I'm sending mine in for repair or replacement under their warranty: http://www.streamlight.com/support/default.aspx

I'm so sorry that your Streamlight switches arn't what you were waiting for
    Mine's (Microstream and Stylus Pro) are hard to depress but I like that because I can keep it in my pocket without they switch on.
    I use them with the end of the thumb and for me everything is Ok:

Regards,
    The perfect ligths IMO : Fenix LOD 01, TK40; Nitecore D10

I think they must have changed the switch in some way. I got one of the first few days deliveries that were reported here. Both my MicroStream and the Stylus Pro are very easy to activate. Really too easy to carry inside a pocket, but since I only planned to carry clipped to a pocket like a penlight, it was fine with me.
    Maybe they'll hit a middle ground soon.

Flashaholic

I called Streamlight this morning and talked to a lady in their Customer Service Department. She was very helpful, and explained that they were aware of the "switch problem" and that if I send my Microstream flashlight in they would replace the switch with a new improved one and ship it back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cbubu View Post
    I'm so sorry that your Streamlight switches arn't what you were waiting for Mine's (Microstream and Stylus Pro) are hard to depress but I like that because I can keep it in my pocket without they switch on. I use them with the end of the thumb and for me everything is Ok:

+1

After using StylusPro and MicroStream for a week, I'm fairly happy with their switches. My samples are somewhat stiff, requiring an estimated 10 to 15 pounds to click on or off.

However, I sort of like their stiff switches. No way these lights will ever switch on by accident when carried inside a pants or rucksack pocket!

The momentary function of the switches is great. With these lights I use momentary much more often than turning them fully on. When you just need light briefly, these little lights are so much handier to use than typical AAA twisty head lights.

IHMO, Streamlight has real winners with MicroStream and StylusPro. The StylusPro is by far the best penlight I've ever owned. The MicroStream is a decent little pocket light which offers great bang for the buck.

After reading this thread, I'm tempted to order an LOD CE just to get the head. A StylusPro equipped with an LOD CE multi-level head would make an excellent utility/backup light for outdoors use.

After reading the original post in this thread I ordered a Microstream from one of the millions of "tactiacl" equipment dealers on the web. It came in yesterday. I had some trouble removing the head until i remembered the put it in a baggie and boil it trick. I put the fenix head on the body and wow, what a nice set up. This is the perfect nightstand light. With the forward switch I can select my light level quickly and i'm good to go. The tailcap switch on the microstream that I recieved is perfect. Not to hard to activate, but not to soft either.

still waiting for mine once received can't wait to swap it for my LOD SE modded with SSC P4

Flashaholic

I guess I don't have a problem w/ the switch because I use my index finger to press it; and it's the earlier version (switch that is). I like having the switch w/ my Rebel 80 and being powered by a 10440.
    Last edited by Dark Vapor; 11-11-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nanotech17 View Post
    still waiting for mine once received can't wait to swap it for my LOD SE modded with SSC P4
    got the streamlight today.
    fit the mine modded LOD SE SSC P4 running it with 10440.
    how sweet it is
    thanks cbubu

the LF2 head can be fit in the microstream body.
    and it works but to change level you have to twist the head,momentary switch is working too

Enlightened

$%@!%@ I got a natural LOD-CE should have bought the black one

Enlightened

I should know better then to check stuff out on here...
    Came to check the reviews on the Stylus Pro, ended up ordering a micro stream, a stylus pro, a aw 10440/charger, and a L0D Q4
    Guess I'll be posting pics of what the red L0D Q4 head looks like on the black streamlight body lol

I think the two-tone look might be nice. Definitely unusual! I've got a red L0D coming as well and now I'm tempted for a Microstream to compliment it.

Enlightened

Yeah I'm hoping the two tone look might work depending on how deep the red is. So far I got the streamlights in from lighthound (impressed me ordered thurs, here sat w/ reg shipping) turned each light on once to see if they worked then took the batterys out, ziplocked them up and boiled for 2-3 mins and they come apart pretty easy. Now I just need my l0d-q4 to show up, least before I get too tempted to see what happens to the stock microstream head + a 10440 ??

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    It would be more impressive if the switch on my Microstream hadn't broken after a week! :P Now it's a twistie!
    Same here.... the switch failed after a couple of days.

It was great while it lasted.

well One more question guys....

does the microstream body separates at teh amin body and a switch module part? is there a faint chance that it might make a +1 cell body for the fenix?

thnaks, Kostas

argh...thats more money ill have to spend....

Crenshaw

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Lite_me View Post
    I kinda would like to try the clip on one of my LOD's. I think it would look nice on the new Q4 Red one I have coming. Has any one tried to remove it yet? I toyed with it briefly and it wouldn't budge. Didn't want to bend it or scratch something. .
    I tried it and the clip does come off, just takes a little force to get it to move and on my stylus pro it didnt scratch the tail cap up any taking it off, IMO the black clip does look better on the L0D-Q4 Red (orange?) light, and the silver fenix clip doesnt look all that bad on the streamlight either

Quote Originally Posted by kosPap View Post
    well One more question guys....

does the microstream body separates at teh amin body and a switch module part? is there a faint chance that it might make a +1 cell body for the fenix?

thnaks, Kostas
    Guessing you are trying to ask if you can use the microstream as a battery extension tube for the fenix? If that is the case, No it will not work the microstream body tube has a male thread on each end with the tail and head removed. On another note, the Stylus Pro (2x AAA) w/ 2 standard alkaline batts and the L0D-Q4 head I have seemed to be as bright as when I was testing it out w/ my 10440 in it which should make for a good alternative for those who are scared of making the LOD go with a 10440 but still want a insanely bright AAA batt light

I should have some pics of the orange L0D-Q4 head on the microstream/stylus pro bodys soon... when I get around to it. Plus as a extra treat if anyone cares I have pics of the guts (light engine) of the microsteam head (I got bored sunday while still waiting for the Q4 to show)
    Last edited by Wolf; 12-07-2007 at 05:32 PM.