DX.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surefire TITAN

Smile Surefire TITAN

This is my TITAN

The lux reading at 1meter is about 1112 lux, I estimated the total output should reach 80 lum in beginning.

5m beamshots, left to right: TITAN, 2007 INOVA T1, Surefire L4

10m beamshots, left to right: TITAN, 2007 INOVA T1, Surefire L4

Runtime, abound 1 hour regulation in max output, not bad, though surefire says 65 lum/2h.
    **11/8 add panasonic CR2 runtime

In brief, this small beautiful light is very bright, tint is very white, beam is very smooth, the UI is perfect.
    I am #0164, who is my neighbor

Updated information 11/2:
    Forgot to mention this, TITAN seems has low battery indication, it will start flicking when lose regulation, if turning head to decrease the output when flicking, the lower light is stable.
    Last edited by Chao; 11-08-2007 at 08:40 PM. Reason: update runtime
    Welcome to take a look at my beamshots at 5m ,10m distance and lux readings

Administrator

Default Re: Surefire TITAN

Chao,

We are going to give this another go.

Everyone involved.. Lets not head down the same track as before. There is an appropriate place to post and a proper way to present it.
    There is a lot of usefull information in the old thread. It will remain viewable but locked.

Lets give this another try and keep it civil.

Please report trashing, baiting or trolling so that those problems may be removed from the thread and if necessary from CPF. The reviews forum is not the place for it.

Thanks for posting the great comparison pics. It's interesting to see Surefire produce a CR2 light after so many years of the CR123. It's neat though and I hope that Surefire makes more small lights in the future.

Chao,

Thanks for your review and beamshots of the Titan. I am new to "higher end" lights and have found your review threads very useful in deciding whether to get light or not. I especially like the way you set up your beamshots so that you can get a realistic picture of what each light is capable of. While I may never own a Titan I got my first SureFire a L1 Cree partly because of your review. Since then two more have followed a E1L cree and a 6PL, I am very happy with all three. So keep up the good work and thank you for taking the time for these reviews.

Flashaholic

Hello Chao,

Thank you for another fair review with pictures, beam shots, and runtime.
    These and the light specifications would give us enough data to draw our own conclusion.
    Keep up the great work, as it is the stuff that makes CPF first-class, and encourage us to come back for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chao View Post
    This is my TITAN

The lux reading at 1meter is about 1112 lux, I estimated the total output should reach 80 lum in beginning.

5m beamshots, left to right: TITAN, 2007 INOVA T1, Surefire L4

10m beamshots, left to right: TITAN, 2007 INOVA T1, Surefire L4

Runtime, about 1 hour regulation in max output, not bad, though surefire says 65 lum/2h.

In brief, this small beautiful light is very bright, tint is very white, beam is very smooth, the UI is perfect.
    I am #0164, who is my neighbor

Updated information 11/2:
    Forgot to mention this, TITAN seems has low battery indication, it will start flicking when lose regulation (after 60 min), if turning head to decrease the output when flicking, the lower light is stable.
    Can you compare the light output with some keychain 1AAA such as L0D Lightflux and Jet-u?

Quote Originally Posted by garfieldso View Post
    Can you compare the light output with some keychain 1AAA such as L0D Lightflux and Jet-u?
    Sure, but I only have L0DCE.

Left: L0DCE-high with fresh alkaline battery, Right: Titan-max

Flashaholic*

Excellent photos as usual. Have you tried a RCR2 yet? Do you plan on it?

Thanks.

Curtis
    -- CUE

Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    Excellent photos as usual. Have you tried a RCR2 yet? Do you plan on it?

Thanks.

Curtis
    Thanks Curtis, and I do not have plan for try RCR2 so far, although it is said and been tested RCR2 should be fine.
    Last edited by Chao; 11-03-2007 at 03:55 PM.

If you have a Titan please take a minute to post it here

This is a really nice light, but has two downsides.

It has a good size, but is a bit large for a CR2. It is the electronic control that pumps up the size.
    I like lights really small.

Even more of a problem for me is the price!

But - People spend thousands on things like cabinet saws and bandsaws, lathes, digital cameras, etc.

Incidentally, I have a couple of Lux meters available to me, and neither gets as high readings as in the linky above on some of the same lights.
    Last edited by arty; 11-04-2007 at 06:04 AM. Reason: incomplete

Sure, but I only have L0DCE.
    Left: L0DCE-high with fresh alkaline battery, Right: Titan-max
    Do you have a lithium 3v AAA for the LODCE?
    Facebook: Wade Fulp - Follow me on Twitter! @flashlightguy and my main feed @WadeFulp Google+ PROFILE

Quote Originally Posted by WadeF View Post
    Do you mean 10440? I don't have that battery

Do you mean 10440? I don't have that battery
    Oops, I was thinking AA, not AAA. Yeah, that one.
    Facebook: Wade Fulp - Follow me on Twitter! @flashlightguy and my main feed @WadeFulp Google+ PROFILE

Quote Originally Posted by WadeF View Post
    I have the L0D CE, the output different between AAA Ni-HM and 10440 is not significant; but the in compare with Titan is dramatic.
    As I know my L0D CE is using P4.

I also heard that the TITAN may not be in mass production yet. Surefire will push the HA version first in the market; anyone can verify it?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by garfieldso View Post
    I also heard that the TITAN may not be in mass production yet. Surefire will push the HA version first in the market; anyone can verify it?
    Surefire shipped the first 300 to dealers only. The next shipment will go to individuals. If you really meant _mass_ production, there will only be 1000 TITANs produced. There are rumors of an aluminum version, but nothing verified.

is it got thermal issue? will get hot keep running at Max brightness?

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoteen View Post
    is it got thermal issue? will get hot keep running at Max brightness?
    In my felt, it just warm when keep running in max

sounds great, cant wait mine to arrived , thx Chao

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

Ok, maybe mine is a "dud", but has anyone else thought the twisty action was too hard? There's just too much resistance in mine - to the point that I can't twist it with one hand... maybe it'll take some breaking in, but for some reason, I'm thinkin' this is how it's gonna stay.

It makes a "grindy" noise while turning. Yikes!

john
    Last edited by jch79; 11-05-2007 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jch79 View Post
    Ok, maybe mine is a "dud", but has anyone else thought the twisty action was too hard? There's just too much resistance in mine - to the point that I can't twist it with one hand... maybe it'll take some breaking in, but for some reason, I'm thinkin' this is how it's gonna stay.

john
    Whhhhaaaat? Maybe no lube? Hope you figure it out.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Quote Originally Posted by jch79 View Post

john
    I've handled a few of these, all turned easily with one hand and were buttery smooth. They all made a minor "grindy" sound, but turn as easily or perhaps easier than Don's most current runs seemed to. Definately not gritty,more like that nice Ti on Ti "grind"

However I did notice that one Titan had what seemed to be a "lock out" feature of sorts. Turn it all the way off, then a little turn more and it felt like there was a ball bearing or such that would hold the head in a "saftey off" position. It didn't seem like a defec in that it worked very well, but several other examples did not have this "feature".

Anybody else notice this or have a light like this?

Mine can be turned easily with one hand, and also make minor "grindy" sound, can hear or "feel" it when turning.
    I am not sure my Titan has "lock out" feature, but I need give it a little more pressure (not much) to turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by mspeterson View Post
    I've handled a few of these, all turned easily with one hand and were buttery smooth. They all made a minor "grindy" sound, but turn as easily or perhaps easier than Don's most current runs seemed to. Definately not gritty,more like that nice Ti on Ti "grind"

However I did notice that one Titan had what seemed to be a "lock out" feature of sorts. Turn it all the way off, then a little turn more and it felt like there was a ball bearing or such that would hold the head in a "saftey off" position. It didn't seem like a defec in that it worked very well, but several other examples did not have this "feature".

Anybody else notice this or have a light like this?
    Mine turns easily with a slight gritty feel/sound. Seems like something a bit of lube would remedy, but how?

Also, mine has a noticeable detent in the off position, but I wouldn't call it a lock out. I need to engage the detent to turn the light off - once past the detent, the LED glows. I'd guess mine operates the way intended by SF.

Quote Originally Posted by LED Zeppelin View Post
    Mine turns easily with a slight gritty feel/sound. Seems like something a bit of lube would remedy, but how?

Also, mine has a noticeable detent in the off position, but I wouldn't call it a lock out. I need to engage the detent to turn the light off - once past the detent, the LED glows. I'd guess mine operates the way intended by SF.
    I was also wondering about the possibility of lubing the head, especially since the tail threads on mine were dry. No complaints here though, mine turns easily and smoothly with a good tension to keep it from switching on in pocket.

On the "lock out" (term used loosely) unit I handled, the LED would shut completely off prior to engaging the detent, which is why I was wonderig if this was in fact a designed feature. It sounds like yours is a little different, and most of the examples I played with did not have this "lock out" detent, or whatever it is...Guess we will have to wait for somebody to open one up to see if this is an intentional feature or just the result of normal unit variation.

So far I think that the Titan is an excellent light, definately a keeper and a user. It will be interesting to see how the functionality holds up over time and with real world useage.

I just got word that my Titan is on the way. I will post my comments and some photos upon arrival later this week.

MSax
    I wish I could afford a BarnBurner!

Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water..... Our shark.

No. 57 of 1000 arrived today......

Its a home run guys!! Awesome job Surefire. She's a keeper.

MSax
    I wish I could afford a BarnBurner!

Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water..... Our shark.

Great job on the pics.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Hi #0057, you looks so beautiful, thanks for the pics, MSax

when I saw this picture, I felt sad again
    Quote Originally Posted by MSaxatilus View Post

my lock pin looks not normal

I am still waiting for the reply from Surefire