LF2 Cree or LF2 SSC - which one?

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks ;)

I´m owner of a Fenix P1, a Jetbeam Mk2, a Mk2X, a C-LE and a Rexlight 2.0. Now I want to buy a smaller light for EDC. My favourite lights are the Mk2 and the Mk2X, but especially the UI from the Mk2X is too complicated/changing into advanced from low is not good.

Now I would like to buy a Liteflux LF2, but I´m not shure which one: the Cree- or the SSC-version? I didn´t find any comparison to e.g. the Mk2X. Is there a thread comparing them? Or a thread (with pics) comparing the beam from the LF2-Cree with the LF2-SSC?

Dirk

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recently chosen the SSC P4 version because I believe that a very small light like this one is more useful with a flloody beam. The other version has a typical CREE beam which I don't like too much. But this is purely a matter of personal taste.
I have replaced Fenix L0D Rb80 as my pocket light and I am happy.

Have you looked at these two reviews?

http://www.cpfreviews.com/LightFlux-LF2-Cree.php

http://www.cpfreviews.com/LightFlux-LF2-SSCP4.php

In the first one you will find a beam comparison.

:wave:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recently chosen the SSC P4 version because I believe that a very small light like this one is more useful with a flloody beam. The other version has a typical CREE beam which I don't like too much. But this is purely a matter of personal taste.

http://www.cpfreviews.com/LiteFlux-LF2-Cree.php

http://www.cpfreviews.com/LiteFlux-LF2-SSCP4.php

Thanks KV :)

Just updated the links as I noticed that the spelling of LiteFlux was wrong when i had posted review earlier. I have just corrected the pages with the new Links :thumbsup:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooooooops......;)

:ohgeez:Noooo... actually it was my mistake when i had posted review.... i had indeed posted it as LightFlux.... but it was only after your post.. I realized that I had posted the name wrongly in first place.... ;)

so I just corrected it and updated in this post :)

Thanks Once again KV

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Hi ViReN,

your reviews are very nice, thanks a lot!

But when you say "The runtimes are almost identical, but yes, LF2 Cree does have a 3-4 minutes advantage" it seems that I do not understand them correctly:

[...]
Ahhh, wait, I see the problem:
the the chart with the runtime-comparison is distracting:
the SSC has got the sequence "Alk NiMH Li-Ion", while the Cree has got the sequence "NiMH Alk Li-Ion". I think it would be better if you could change this.
And - could the sequence in Total output be a mistake? On SSC the output with NiMH is higher than with Alk, on Cree the output with NiMH is less than with Alk.
Hmm.

In summary, the chart "Batteries Supported, Output & Runtime" is distracting me.:crazy:

Dirk

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi ViReN,

your reviews are very nice, thanks a lot!

But when you say "The runtimes are almost identical, but yes, LF2 Cree does have a 3-4 minutes advantage" it seems that I do not understand them correctly:

[...]
Ahhh, wait, I see the problem:
the the chart with the runtime-comparison is distracting:
the SSC has got the sequence "Alk NiMH Li-Ion", while the Cree has got the sequence "NiMH Alk Li-Ion". I think it would be better if you could change this.
And - could the sequence in Total output be a mistake? On SSC the output with NiMH is higher than with Alk, on Cree the output with NiMH is less than with Alk.
Hmm.

In summary, the chart "Batteries Supported, Output & Runtime" is distracting me.:crazy:

Dirk

Dear Dirk,

At this moment the i have sorted the results in ascending output, starting lowest first... but i guess, it would be convenient if I sort them as battery type :)... will do in next DB Update.

Thanks ViReN

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
but i guess, it would be convenient if I sort them as battery type :)

I agree ;) In my eyes that would be more clear.

But is this right?!? (Than (not regarding the Li-Ion) the Cree-LF2 would better run with Alk while the SSC would better run with NiMH - that´s what I cannot believe)
Code:
Total Output:            Alk       NiMH
SSC:                     275       282
Cree:                    280       260
Looks very obfuscating, I would guess that also with Cree the lowest total output would be with Alkaline and not with NiMH.

Dirk

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dirk,

The figure of SSC for this particular sample of LF2 that I have is correct, even I was surprised.... I have checked it multiple times with different Alk and NiMH batteries... Also the Current draw on SSC is more as compared to Cree version.... perhaps there might be some thing / some component not working up to the mark in the SSC Version.... (even the LF2 SSC Runtime is a bit less)...

I will check it again today will confirm the outputs :)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the SCC. Nice and floody. A bit shorter too, but that doesn't matter to me. Either is a nice light at a good deal.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen the Cree version in person, but I do have the SSC version... the beam is flawless! I have an LOD-CE, and I prefer the SSC LF2's beam by a HUGE margin.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Code:
SSC:                     275       282
Cree:                    280       260

Just to reconfirm that above readings for my LF2 are correct.. the latest readings as taken today are ...
Code:
SSC:                     277       281
Cree:                    283       259

Also re-ordered the Output shown in LightInfo as sorted by Battery Voltage in ascending order.:thumbsup:

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
ViReN,

thank you very much for your effort :)

I was not not-believing you, but as you say, your results are very surprising:caution:

And thanks to the other users for telling me there reasons why they bought there version :)

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dirk,

I understand :) .. i didn't think you are not believing me... but Even I was surprised when I did tests first time, so I thought perhaps there might be some thing wrong when tested first time... but yesterday, I cleaned up contacts... and checked again...yet same results... perhaps this sample might have some very minor component under performing / LED Vf may be a bit high... if you see on runtime, there is very little difference 2 - 4 minutes in between the two....

Cheers

ViReN

lupy

Newly Enlightened
I just got one, the cree was out of stock, so I got the SSC, nice usable beam. I think there is a tendancy to make a lot of these little lights with a really tight spot, as the numbers are more impressive, but for usability, I think the SSC is just right. As far as uniformity, there are no rings, nice white tint. Much nicer than most of my headlamps. The two level twist is nice.

sims2k

Enlightened

http://www.cpfreviews.com/LightFlux-LF2-Cree.php

http://www.cpfreviews.com/LightFlux-LF2-SSCP4.php

Review links do not work. Tried and it says link not found.