Fenix use on Glock

dvas

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I found it while looking for a LED upgrade for my Maglite 2AA. Originally, I wanted to purchase Surefire Aviator 2A, since it was a hybrid, just what I was looking for, but it was using CR123.
I was looking for a flashlight, that will use my Sanyo Eneloop NiHM, have a controlled output and potenially put it on my Glock if needed (I am not LEO), when either volunteering as LEO or at home in case of emergency.
Then I heard about Fenix, and it had it all.. almost!
THen I found Fenix L2D-CE and L2T!!! :twothumbs
Does anyone tried to mount it on a hand gun and to shoot with it? WHere can I get a mount?
Any other recommendations? The use is EDC, and in rare ocasions on gun and volunteering as traffic LEO. Of course, with non-power situations and around car.

thanks from Israel

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not heard of, nor seen a pistol mount for a Fenix light. Perhaps someone else has but I have been looking around for a new mounts/lights to see wha is out there and have not yet seen on.

dvas

Newly Enlightened
I am not so worried about the mount... there are plenty out there. I am more worried how the lens will react after shooting and if the light is going to 'survive' a shooting

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L2D would net be good for a gun-mounted light. the Recoil of the gun will cause the light to change modes. The L2T V2.0 would be better for this task. The glass window should have no problem, it shouldn't break(I don't think I've heard of a single instance of a Fenix light's window breaking). The light should also take the recoil without problem.

A dedicated weapon light would be a better option.

:welcome:

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not use anything other than Surefire or Streamlight in conjunction with any of my firearms. I just don't trust any one else for such a critical task. Just my opinion.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I would not use anything other than Surefire or Streamlight in conjunction with any of my firearms. I just don't trust any one else for such a critical task. Just my opinion.

I 100% agree with CM with the addition of Insight Technologies to that mix.

I also disagree with the idea the the L2D and L2T would make good weapon lights, especially on a handgun. It's not just about if you can find a mount to fit or if the lens will survive the recoil or muzzle blast it's about the the package as a whole. No aftermarket mount will provide you with the minimalist simplicity that is built into an x300 for example. Ergonomics is a huge factor when considering a light for a weapon and simply bolting on an 'inline' battery tube to you firearm is usually a sub-standard choice. A weapon light has to be easy to activate and you don't want the light sticking way out past your muzzle for many reasons. The reason dedicated weapon lights exist is because the other alternatives come up short. You had mentioned that you were more worried about if the light would survive "a shooting." That's a good thing to be concerned about. Weapon lights were designed specifically for that purpose while Fenix was never designed or tested for that. It just might survive a shooting or ten but is it going to be working when your life is on the line? Who knows...it's a wildcard. Inexpensive, imported, handheld lights, mounted to Airsoft guns and other pretend activities is fine, but when it comes to real life, reliability, repeatability and ergonomics are what matters. Seriously...use the Fenix for finding stuff under your car seat, but don't sell yourself short on a light for your weapon. Your life is worth way more than the $100-$200 dollar difference.

Oh, I almost forgot..........welcome to CPF :)

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You want to mount a Fenix on a Glock Handgun? :eek:

No.... just no. Here's why....

Fenix lights are far from junk. But they don't have the level of rugged reliability needed for use on a weapon, carried for self-defense. I'm not even sure how you'd mount a Fenix light on a Glock. :thinking:

Better options would be a Streamlight or Surefire, dedicated weapon light. Or which ever weapon light Glock recommends you use.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would never use a Fenix mounted on a firearm.
Their durability is untested in such a situation. I also point out that the Fenix will be useless in many situations because of the switching method employed.
Eneloops are nice, but not nice enough to risk one's life for the convenience of AA batteries.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
...don't sell yourself short on a light for your weapon. Your life is worth way more than the $100-$200 dollar difference.

Oh, I almost forgot..........welcome to CPF :)

+1

You've articulated it better than I! :)

dvas

Newly Enlightened
Guys, thanks for your valuable information! :twothumbs
You raised some important points that I didn't think about.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck, doesn't Glock make a light themselves?? What about that??

The only downside to the dedicated weapon lights, dvas, is that they aren't going to use your batteries. My life is worth buying a box of Surefire CR123s, though, so I don't worry about that part..

dvas

Newly Enlightened
well, it is easy for you guys in US to say to buy a box of Surefire CR123 batteries... I am in Israel and in order to get over here, I need to pay a LOT of money. I have never used and do not intend to use the light with my Glock, but I would like to have that option in the case of....
As a temp solution, i ordered a CREE update for my MM, just to understand and see how good that is, and to make my MM usefull around the house.
but thanks for the tips.

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
dvas, welcome.

You have hit on an issue that I expect/hope will be addressed in the coming months. That is: using AA batteries to power tactical lights. With the increased efficiency of LEDs, there is no reason why manufacturers shouldn't transition to offering tactical grade lights that will run on AA batts. Or at a minimum, offer dedicated weapon lights that will run on ONE CR123 thus allowing a smaller and lighter form factor for the light (this is an issue primarily with pistols). FWIW, I know of one small builder who has plans for a 150 lumen MM, but that is still on the drawing board and I will say no more about this.

I don't know if you have access to an AR/AK, but if so, that would be a more viable platform on which to mount a "lesser" light. Better terminal ballistics too. :D

dvas

Newly Enlightened
just over a year ago, 2x CR123 was $10 here in Israel... I don't know today's prices... But I imagine, you wouldn't buy for that price....

Bloodnut, I just have my Glock :thumbsup:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
just over a year ago, 2x CR123 was $10 here in Israel... I don't know today's prices... But I imagine, you wouldn't buy for that price....

Bloodnut, I just have my Glock :thumbsup:

That's about what it cost today from US retail outlets. They have a 10 year shelf life so for use in conjunction with a personal defense item, it's cheap insurance. I guess you can think of it another way. You can use your Fenix and think of it as "better than nothing". But it's still a big compromise considering the potential required use of the light.

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
dvas,

$5 per CR123 is not far off the going retail rate in the U.S. Used sparingly, as tactical lights are, it might be justifiable. Just a thought.

If it helps, Safariland has begun marketing a light attachment called the RLS. It is advertised as being a quick attach/detach rig which will accomodate any light that has a one inch body. I don't care for the concept myself, but it might be a good way for you to experiment with multiple lights.

You are in a tough environment over there what with the current demeanor of your country's neighbors. I had the impression that most able bodied males (and some females) were pretty well outfitted with small arms as a matter of necessity.

Delij

Newly Enlightened
I have had a CCW permit for many years. I have owned handguns for home defense for even longer. I was trained to use all kinds of weapons in the military over 30 years ago.

As a civilian, I cannot think of single reason where a weapon mounted flashlight (on a handgun) would be preferable to an unmounted light.

They don't fit in holsters (for the most part). They generally require fine motor skills that are lost in the stress of use in actual self defense conditions. They are small and not nearly as versatile as a handheld light, and they provide a target for a threat (which is true with any light, but a hand-held light can be manipulated in ways a rail mounted light cannot be)

Along with night sights, I think that they are a waste of money. I will never understand the popularity of night sights for self defense..they do nothing at all to illuminate a target - in fact in realistic self defense distances, I don't think sights are useful at all.... I practice shooting without sights for self defense. To me, sights are great for target shooting. Or hunting (I guess...I've never hunted for sport). I do target shoot, and for that, sights are essential. To hit an assailant 8 feet away in a life or death situation, I don't expect to have any time to line up sights. Or even the steadiness to try if I did have the time.

I think a comfortably sized hand-held flashlight is an ideal companion to a handgun for home defense. For concealed carry, a rail mounted light is going to require a holster that makes concealment even more difficult.

I've owned exactly one pistol with a rail on it (a Springfield XD9 SC) and I have since sold it. (not because of the rail, which was very small and only took specially designed lights and lasers for such a small rail anyway). A fine gun, but too bulky for concealed carry for me, not a fun range gun and I have better guns for home defense. So as good a gun as it was, it had no purpose for me.

As a law enforcement officer, or a combat soldier, then the reasons for light rails become obvious and useful. Even necessary.

I carry a tiny gun CCW (Kel Tec P32) and a tiny light in my pocket - a Fenix or Ultrafire or other single cell cree light.

At home, I keep a full size .45 1911 (and other large guns...too large to carry concealed) and an assortment of flashlights handy.

If I ever heard an intruder in my house (has never happened, thankfully), I believe the light I would go for first would be the largest one i keep nearby....a 3 D cell Mag.

I've talked about this on several gun boards. Also, I have questioned the usefullness of night sights for self defense. In all the years, I have never heard one single argument that I felt justified the use of night sights. Yet they are among the most popular extras sold to gun owners. To me, they serve no purpose at all (other than maybe at a shooting range) - I feel the same way about rail mounted lights and lasers for self defene.

Just my 2 cents. And of course proper lights for weapon rails are expensive. So for me, they are not only useless, but expensive to boot. Again....I see no reason for them in civilan use at all. But I'm open to hear other opinions

Maybe people buy them because they have a "cool factor"? But IMO a hand-held larger light is just a far superior asset if a light is needed.

I'll add one last comment. Any money spent on accessories like rail mounted lights, lasers, night sights, exotic ammunition, etc...would be FAR FAR more effectively spent on lessons in how to properly use a handgun in self defense. I'd guess that 99% of gun owners today have little or no training at all. They don't even know the most basic rules of safety. The gun shop five minutes from my home has 11 bullet holes in the walls and display cases to prove that there are too many people with no interest in even knowing how to safely handle a deadly weapon. All that is required of them is they have the money to buy a gun and no criminal record.

To get a driver's learners permit, you have to read a pamphlet and take a one minute quiz to prove you did read it. To buy a gun....nothing at all. Scary!

Peace,
D.

garfieldso

Newly Enlightened
Well, I only see people mounting the laser and flashlight to a BB or CO2 gun for playing the war game.

In real world, one hand holding the gun, the others holding whatever brand flashlight come across beneath the gun holding hand, pointing toward as the same aiming target.

So Fenix, Surefire, Ultrafire, JetBeam, ever ordinary Mini-Maglite can be used on Glock. Another hand is the mounting.

FredM

Enlightened
To get a driver's learners permit, you have to read a pamphlet and take a one minute quiz to prove you did read it. To buy a gun....nothing at all. Scary!

Peace,
D.

yeah maybe guns should be so regulated where you have to get some bureaucrat's permission before you buy one.

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
There are options. The new RLS from Safariland is designed to accommodate some of what you want to achieve. Depending on the diameter of the light, the RLS mount is available without the Coast POS it comes with for mount of your own light. While I agree with Delij that money is generally better spent on effective training, I do believe that there are considerable holster options for both duty and concealed carry on the market that accommodate lights in an unobtrusive manner. If you'd like a list of holsters that accommodate lights, duty, concealed, and otherwise, let me know and I can generate easily. Many agencies in our area advocate weapons mounted lights carried full-time and belt mounted flashlight for search as well. As for ease of use, the most difficult, or perhaps it's just different, light I've used is the new Xiphos. the rocker switches are strange and I do not see a point in a pistol light with UI. Lights from Surefire, Streamlight, and Insight all have a very easily operated gross-motor paddle. Train, train, train. Muscle memory rules.
That being said, daily carry of an S&W M&P 9C is w/o light. Offside pocket has a NovaTac 120T. My only alternative is the Insight M2X, that I do not care for. I do not own any Fenix lights, and cannot comment on their durability. I do, however, have the RLS for T&E and would be more than happy to test someones Fenix for them :twothumbs.

Link to RLS: LINK

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com