help wanted making a simple like for airsoft

AndrewL

Newly Enlightened
a while ago I built some bike lights which though very simple do work very well and I fancy making a light for airsofting on the cheap. My bike lights used a philips masterlin MR16 bulb, an old bike light housing, standard cermic socket and was just connected to the battery via a couple of 4mm plugs (plug goes in lights go on)
I'm keen to stick with a bulb rather then an LED as I'm not good with delicate soldering, heat sinks etc

The airsoft gun will most liely be running from a 8.4volt NiMh pack made from 2/3A cells and I was wondering if it might be possible to power the light for brief periods from this. If I'm gong in for a night time game I may want to use a remote battery pack (strapped to the gun stock most likely) instead
I'll need a remote switch, I'm quite happy with either a push and hold to keep the light on or a standard push for on and push again for off.

I was thinking that a MR11 bulb might be nice and compact but I have no idea what to mount it in. Would these work with 8.4volts or is that pushing it too hard? My other thought was to get a couple of 18650 lithium cells for a 7.2v light weight pack

thoughts?