m@g help needed...

ambientmind

Enlightened
I'm building two 2d sized m@g lights as gifts, and had an idea of what i wanted for parts but am having difficulty finding them. I would like to make them a single seoul @ ~800-1000ma mounted onto a hotlips d with a lop reflector. i saw the new lop reflectors on kaidomain, would those work? also, i cannot find the hotlips d anywhere, i checked the sandwich shoppe and litemania but they dont seem to be available. anyone know where to get them? also, what would be a good driver for this? i want to be able to run it on alkalines or nimh, so it would have a vin of ~2.4-3v. single mode would be fine, or maybe just a high-med-low. i've done some searching, but have come up empty handed...:shrug: any help would be appreciated! thanks!

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to place an order with LiteMania. He has D-size heatsinks that are anodized. He also has the Seoul LED's. I buy from PhotonFanatic, but I am sure that the LiteMania LED's are fine. H22A also has some D-sinks.

For the driver, you should keep it simple. Get a GD917 or GD1000 from the Sandwich Shoppe. They run well off of 3 alkaline or NiMH cells. If you must use a 2 cell Mag light, the VIP driver might be a good choice for NiMH cells. Once you test the light, pot the driver in thermal epoxy, or sink it to the inside of the light.

Save your money on the reflector. The Seoul is pretty nice with the stock reflector. But, it must have the cam cut off to work with the heatsink.

For the finishing touch, add some glow powder mixed in epoxy around the emitter.

OK, now have fun, and post some pictures when you are done!

Last edited:

ambientmind

Enlightened
thanks for the advice, i'll check out those drivers. i was thinking about using the "1AA (3W) LED Circuit Board (0.8V-7V)" from dx or kai and just eliminating the ui as stated in one of the posts from the thread on here. from eprom's test, 2 nimh batteries would give me about 960 ma which would be perfect. now to just get my hands on those heatsinks! thanks again!

ambientmind

Enlightened
btw, its going to be a 2d light. i found a really neat blue-grey color at lowes i havent seen before that i want to make them out of.

ambientmind

Enlightened
so far i have the maglights and seouls are on their way. i ordered the heatsink for h22a, the mop reflectors from kai, and ucl lenses from flashlightlense today. i have the 3w driver from kai, i'm not sure if i'll keep the ui or not. i'm not sure how easy it will be to use with a forward clicky. too bad you cant cut out some of the groups somehow on that board. 19 modes is a bit much!

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
19 modes is a bit much!

Not as bad as it may seem. You have 3 groups of modes. You chose one group and in that you have low, med, high, strobe and SOS. The other two modes have exra strobes effects. :shakehead

It also has a memory for each setting. So if you toggle to medium and leave on for more >2 sec, turn off, then the next time you turn on it will still be in medium.

I've just replaced a couple of micopuck drivers with one of these drivers, so far so good. Not sure what current I'm getting as i'm still playing.

The main grief was soldering the wires to the board, very small and tight. Just take your time and take care not to burn any other parts of the board!

Hope it all works out, and let us know how it goes.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Opps I forgot to add this link to a thread about this driver (and others), there's some usefull info from Mr Light on setting up the driver with a DMM.
Hope that helps.

ambientmind

Enlightened
I have one pretty much completed, I'm just waiting on the new drivers. for now I'm using the 19 mode 3w driver from kai as mentioned in the above posts, but i dont like it. it has the ucl lens from flashlight lens.com, the mop reflector from kai, and the d size heatsink. i'm thinking of doing some silver leaf patterns on the sides of it, but i'm not sure how it will hold up. anyone ever tried that? for now, some pics!
the heatsink with the seoul on it:
P1010712copy.jpg

heatsink/emitter with glow-poxy:
P1010715copy.jpg

the finished light:
P1010719copy.jpg

:twothumbs