• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Weight difference Titanium-Aluminium PD-S

alex in germany

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

i searched the FAQ but i did not find the weight of a McLuxIII PD.
Is there a noticeable differenc to the Titanum PD ? Or will the brass Piston make them equal?

regards, Alex

lolittle

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, the FAQ says the Ti-PD (original luxeon version) weighs 98 grams, the Ti XR-19 weighs 105 grams. Also FWIW, I couldn't tell the difference in weight between the Aluminum PD-S I had and the Ti PD-S I have now...

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am too lazy too look up the thread, but the information that you are looking for exists.

The titanium PD-S and the aluminum PD-S feel similar in weight; this is because the brass piston in the aluminum PD-S is significantly heavier than the titanium piston in the titanium PD-S.

Switch the pistons out and see for yourself just how light the aluminum PD-S can be with the titanium piston.

greenstuffs

Banned
from handling both i would say they are about the same weight because the Al version has a brass piston, The Ti might feel a hair heavier. Of course the Ti has a sturdier touch than the Al. You can't go wrong with either, yet i wish Don made the Al with Ti piston its very light.
Once you Ti you never go back.

AlecGold

Enlightened
hey hey, if you are a superlightweight-every-gram-counts-backpacker, 30 grams of difference are realy a lot!
Then again I think a aluminum Orb Raw would be a better choice.
But we are Flasaholics, so we want to know everything about the light!
I made a file with every bit of data on my XR19-C and my McLuxIII-Ti so I know exactly what is where and which o-ring is to be used.
Call me nuts, but I realised that the weight isn't on this file!
I'm off, gotta get it in the file :D

iconoclast

Enlightened
ok, just for the record (and the benefit of the scale impaired) this is how mine come out...
Ti PD-S: 80.6 g
Al PD-S (slate coating, Ti bezel): 74.3 g
and for the sake of completeness
Ti mule: 66.9 g

That's all without batteries of course. Also worth noting that the Ti items have trits in the pistons, while the Al doesn't.

Last edited: