New Project: High-Power Digital RGB Spotlight

stephenbuck

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums, and I thought I'd post a log of a project I'm just starting in hopes of getting some feedback and suggestions and sharing the results with everyone. The project is a high-power digital RGB spotlight.

Here are my initial design parameters:
* Power: Around 30w @ 12vdc (2.5a) [camera battery or ac adapter]
* Control brightness: 0..100%
* Control colors: 0..100% for R, G, and B channels
* Control whites: Kelvin temperature
* Microcontroller-driven

The only commercial product I've seen with these specs is the Zylight Z90, but it's very expensive. I'd love to come up with an open DIY design that is affordable. I'm pretty good with the software and microcontroller aspects, but I'm a bit out of my depth when it comes to designing LED drivers.

Just as a first crack, I'm thinking of using the new Luxeon Rebel RGB Stars (I believe the Zylight uses the Lamina Atlas or Titan). Using 7 RGB stars (not cheap), there are 3 strings of 7 LEDs.

The specs for the RGB star show that the Luxeon Rebels used are:
Red - LXML-PD01-0030 (~3.6V @ 700ma)
Green - LXML-PM01-0050 (~3.4V @ 700ma)
Blue - LXML-PB01-0018 (~3.4V @ 700ma)

How do I begin to drive such a beast? I'd like the color to be very consistent, so I'm assuming one driver per color channel, but the voltage requirements are pretty steep.

Anyone interested? If so, let's have fun with it and I'll post all the designs as we go along. Hopefully culminating in a schematic and PCB layout.

Thanks,
Steve