Banggood Network
Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: new ZebraLight H30 UI etc.

Flashaholic

Default new ZebraLight H30 UI etc.

We are currently working on a CR123A/RCR123 powered H30 headlamp (will be released in December). Major changes in the H30 include:
    - a narrower flood beam, around 75 degree, without hotspot, center area lux reading is about 130% over that of the H50 driven at the same current.
    - a recessed lens, as a glare shield plus some protection to the lens
    - higher high
    - a more traditional clip with narrower gap between the clip and the light
    - a lanyard hole on the clip
    - shorter than the H50, volume and weight are about the same
    - a push button switch for single hand operations

EDIT: several UI designs

(1) soft push button click: OFF, low, med, high, OFF, click while ON for more than a few seconds, OFF

(2) double action push button (like those shutter release buttons on cameras):
    light click ---------- low
    hard click ----------- high
    double light click ---- medium
    light click when ON --- OFF

(3) double action push button with momentary:
    light press and hold --------- momentary low
    further press while mom low - momentary high
    hard press and hold --------- momentary high
    light click ------------------- constant low
    hard click ------------------- constant high
    double light click ------------ constant medium
    light click when on ---------- off

(4) digital 3 level ramping
    press and hold ------------ cycle through low, med and high, release to set
    when ON, click to OFF
    when ON, press and hold ---cycle through low, med and high, release to set

CAD image:

Any comments?
    Last edited by ZebraLight; 11-11-2007 at 02:04 AM.
    ZEBRALIGHT.com

Thumbs up Re: Camera style switch for the new ZebraLight H30 UI

Sounds great!

Any pics yet?
    BART

Default Re: Camera style switch for the new ZebraLight H30 UI

Sounds great, it's good that the flood is going to be a bit narrower (it was too much diffused for hiking, for my taste).
    The UI seems to be simple and fast. Thank you for keeping your lights simple and not putting 100 different modes.
    I am waiting either for the 18650 (if it won't be too big) or a new AA version.
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

Sounds good. I hope the diffference between hard and soft clicks is not too bad, since this would be used with gloves on some of the time.

Hoping for some kind of overdischarge protection/warning for Li-on.

Also, if this design were done in 1 AA too, I would certainly buy another Zebra.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by B@rt View Post
    Sounds great!

Any pics yet?
    CAD image
    ZEBRALIGHT.com

Looks sweet!

Grinser2 Re: Camera style switch for the new ZebraLight H30 UI

BART

1. UI is too complicated. I say get rid of the medium level altogether--two levels is enough.

2. Lanyard hole in the clip sticking up past the edge of the cylinder looks annoying to me, like it can poke into things. I'd much rather have an integral lanyard hole (think of the corner cutaway in the 2AA minimag) even if it makes the light a couple mm longer.

3. I much prefer the AA or AAA format to 123.

I have mixed feelings about the 75 degree lens. The totally diffused beam of the H50 was almost unique among flashlights and it is just fantastic for close-up use. It's not so good for hiking but 75 degrees isn't so good for hiking either. I'd rather have something fantastic for close-up and lousy for distance, than something mediocre at both. The main use of a headlamp is to have both hands free, which usually means close-up (fixing something, setting up a tent, etc). If I want to light something in the distance I can use a handheld light.

Keep the headband the same so headband can be used for all models. Standard zebralight headband.

Narrower flood ? For me, the H50-P4 flood is perfect. I love it.

Will this one have the same GITD thing to attach to the strap?

Quote Originally Posted by paulr
    The totally diffused beam of the H50 was almost unique among flashlights and it is just fantastic for close-up use. It's not so good for hiking but 75 degrees isn't so good for hiking either. I'd rather have something fantastic for close-up and lousy for distance, than something mediocre at both. The main use of a headlamp is to have both hands free, which usually means close-up (fixing something, setting up a tent, etc). If I want to light something in the distance I can use a handheld light.
    Yes! both hands free, close-up ...fixing something, working on bike, making tea or finding something in dark room... perfect!

UI is too complicated. I say get rid of the medium level altogether--two levels is enough.
    No need for medium. High and Low. Keep it simple. Take out the Medium, then the UI is not so complicated. Soft-touch forward click Medium, click again High.
    Off - Medium - High - Off. Simple.
    Last edited by cat; 11-08-2007 at 03:42 AM.

I'm on the fence about this UI, because I tend to use my headlamps while wearing gloves... I'm thinking that the UI for my H50 is more appropriate for that use , ironically. I question the need for a momentary on a headlamp, actually. What's wrong with a nice regular clicky that goes Off-Low-Med-High-Off? I can't think of a time where I'd use a momentary feature on a headlamp. It's not a tactical item, certainly... and using a momentary defeats the "hands-free" purpose of a headlamp because, well, you've only got one hand free.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    1. UI is too complicated. I say get rid of the medium level altogether--two levels is enough.
    I can't agree with this, three is the best number of modes for me.

Zebralight: Wow that looks really nice. Im looking forward especially for double led 18650 headlamp

Quote Originally Posted by jirik_cz View Post
    I can't agree with this, three is the best number of modes for me.
    +1 Definitely, three modes are more useful IMHO. Imagine you would just have very low and then very high (with a short runtime)... I would like to choose something between, with a reasonable runtime and enought brightness for most tasks.

I really like the new design, are you planning to make an AA version in this new design?

Flashaholic*

I want NOW!

Flashaholic*

I like everything about it but the lanyard attachment sticking up. otherwise looks very useful and will likely buy one.
    EDIT: I have an H50 set to arrive in a couple days, so I may have more feedback then. but, after reading the comments, i agree there is no need for momentary on this light. a reliable, recessed, well waterproofed clickie with low-med-high-off seems best.
    Last edited by Pumaman; 11-08-2007 at 05:36 PM.

Flashaholic

Wow, this light is looking good!!!

I like my H50, but the H30 seems to be a great improvement.

I agree that the UI is too complicated.
    I would prefer a soft push-button. Every push change the brightness to the next level.
    OFF - LO - MEDIUM - HIGH - OFF
    Push the button if the light is more than 2 second on any level turn the light off. (Same UI as the PT EOS)

The H50 headband was not very comfortable
    How about change the band attachment to something like this?

Is there going to be a lock-out ability?

Quote Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
    Very good question.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronic View Post

I would prefer a soft push-button. Every push change the brightness to the next level.
    Push the button if the light is more than 2 second on any level turn the light off. (Same UI as the PT EOS)

I agree all around, tho I never had a problem with the headband...
    UI is a good idea. THis is simpler and better.

Momentary is not needed on a headlamp. Simplicity is.

No 2 stage switch on the headlamp. Just single stage with lockout is fine.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
    You can turn the tailcap a little bit.
    ZEBRALIGHT.com

Flashaholic

Default Re: new ZebraLight H30 UI etc.

updated UI designs, in the order of preferance:

(1) soft push button click: OFF, low, med, high, OFF. click while ON for more than a few seconds, OFF

(2) double action (camera shutter release type) button:

(3) the original complicated double action ...
    ZEBRALIGHT.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_sk View Post
    +1 Definitely, three modes are more useful IMHO. Imagine you would just have very low and then very high (with a short runtime)... I would like to choose something between, with a reasonable runtime and enought brightness for most tasks.
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    2. Lanyard hole in the clip sticking up past the edge of the cylinder looks annoying to me, like it can poke into things. I'd much rather have an integral lanyard hole (think of the corner cutaway in the 2AA minimag) even if it makes the light a couple mm longer.

3. I much prefer the AA or AAA format to 123.

I have mixed feelings about the 75 degree lens. The totally diffused beam of the H50 was almost unique among flashlights and it is just fantastic for close-up use. It's not so good for hiking but 75 degrees isn't so good for hiking either. I'd rather have something fantastic for close-up and lousy for distance, than something mediocre at both. The main use of a headlamp is to have both hands free, which usually means close-up (fixing something, setting up a tent, etc). If I want to light something in the distance I can use a handheld light.
    I second that.
    Last edited by afahmic; 11-08-2007 at 06:07 PM.

That looks really cool! I like the idea of a the 75 degree flood and think it would make better use of the light output - sort of a more "directional" flood rather than light being scattered all over. I like the UI. I'm in.

It also looks like it could be a very useful task/pocket light. Like a super mini angle light. OK - when can I get one!
    Last edited by regulator; 11-08-2007 at 06:44 PM.

The H30 is looking really nice!!!

My $0.02 on varoius things:

Like the design changes to the head.

Please keep the the 3 levels.

The lanyard attachment needs to be integral/recessed into the body.

Like the even 75 deg beam with no hotspot in the centre.

Another UI idea: Hard click for On/Off, soft click/press to cycle through levels Low -> Med -> Hi (ala Fenix P2D) otherwise ZL's option 1.

I don't think momentary modes are necessary.

Lockout via unscrewing tailcap is great idea.

Once the H30 design is finished would like to see updated H50 with same features.

Keep up the good work George!
    Is that a torch in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ZebraLight View Post
    (1) soft push button click: OFF, low, med, high, OFF. click while ON for more than a few seconds, OFF.
    That is the interface I would suggest. The 75 degree beam sounds great. And I would hate to see it lose the medium level - please keep 3 levels.

I will echo what a few others have said, It would be nice to see these new features (narrower beam and switch) in the H50 eventually. That would motivate me to purchase another one.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    ('')_('')

I definitely would want the newer lights to have 3 levels on them and I would keep the user interface as simple as possible... twistie.
    -Goatee

Allow me agree with others who have posted already posted:

1. I greatly prefer your simplified UI as quoted below, and agree with the order of preference - definitely the soft-push button click. As a bonus, this will probably make it easier to use with gloves on (especially if the button is physically manifested in the shape/placement/size as shown in the CAD rendering)... might not sound like that big a deal, but a task light is more likely to be used in situations where the hands require protection than others so it should be a good advertising point!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZebraLight
    updated UI designs, in the order of preferance:

(1) soft push button click: OFF, low, med, high, OFF. click while ON for more than a few seconds, OFF

(2) double action (camera shutter release type) button:

(3) the original complicated double action ...
    If for some reason your engineers feel that the (1) option in the above quote is unsuitable, please have them consider the UI as posted in the below quote - it would be preferable to the double action listed as your (2) choice:
    Quote Originally Posted by nzbazza
    Another UI idea: Hard click for On/Off, soft click/press to cycle through levels Low -> Med -> Hi (ala Fenix P2D) otherwise ZL's option 1.
    2. Please keep three levels. The percentage differences between levels on the H50 were very well chosen, making each level uniquely useful. The medium level has gotten the most use on mine on walks and working on my car (which the flood beam is PERFECT for btw, I'll never do night work on a vehicle without my ZebraLight from now on).

3. I agree that the lanyard attachment needs to be altered in some fashion. As it currently stands, it looks as if it will easily break off, bend, dig into something, poke while in a pocket, etc. Of course, we only have one view of the model but the lanyard attachment does seem to be a different piece of metal than the body housing. Is this a removable "lanyard clip"...? I don't know what kind of springy metal might fit the bill, but if you want to keep the lanyard attachment point in a similar shape as shown, I believe most people's objections might be solved by allowing it to securely swivel 180 degrees downward to be flush with the rest of the light - if the sheet metal is springy and conforms to approximately the same curve as the bodytube OD, then that would act as a locking feature as well. My only concern would be the method of swivel-attachment for an implementation like that. It would be important to keep it as flush to the body as possible, and shouldn't compromise the integrity of the bodytube.

4. I like the 75 degree beam without the hotspot! Although I wouldn't want to change it on my H50, I think having a slightly tighter beam would be beneficial in most scenarios - it will slightly increase the lux rating allowing for greater throw with the same drive current or the same throw with less current. I think this change will definitely make the light more useful - I've found that during walks, a deal of light goes into the sky/treetops even when I have it swiveled down so it almost lights my toes as I walk.

5. +1 for tailcap lockout. I don't usually use this feature but many people do and it will definitely be a good selling point.

6. +1 for the updated H50 as well... but not too soon! I'd put it off until some emitter advances have taken place and you've finished with your current projects. I really like the twisty interface on my H50, so I probably wouldn't spend the money on another one unless it had some tangible runtime/output improvements.

7. While I agree that if not properly adjusted the H50 headband isn't the most comfortable I would have to question the setup proposed in the image posted by user Tronic: it appears that under that band configuration, all of the strain from the band would be directly bore by the bracket itself - is the bracket capable of long-term durability if used that way - IOW, will the stress induce fatigue-related failure? I'm not opposed to that setup, merely raising a concern - personally I like the way it is now... with a bit thicker bracket backing perhaps, between the bodytube and forehead?

I vote for interface number (1)

(1) soft push button click: OFF, low, med, high, OFF, click while ON for more than a few seconds, OFF

Keep it simple. This like a typical bike light interface

Number (3) is way too complicated and a momentary mode is useless on a headlamp IMO. I like the idea of a recessed lens to avoid blinding people. I think a (very) small diameter reflector would better though since less light would be wasted.
    Last edited by monkeyboy; 11-09-2007 at 05:30 AM.

I really like the idea with the double action push button, but it is important that it is easy to use when wearing gloves. Maybe there should be a finger stopper/grip device at the middle of the light head so it doesn't move on your head when you push the button? (I would put my thumb on it and use the index finger for pushing the button).
    I find myself using the middle mode the most when using my headlamps to achieve acceptable runtime without having to change batteries in foul weather (because that is a real PITA). So for me the most sensible UI would be:

On light button down: low mode
    On light button up before 1.5 sec : medium mode
    On light button up after 1.5 sec : low mode
    On hard button down: high mode
    On hard button up before 5 sec : high mode
    On hard button up after 5 sec : lock out button/light
    When locked, push hard button for 5 sec to release.
    When on in low mode, hold light button down for 1.5 sec to switch to medium mode.
    When on in medium mode, hold light button down for 1.5 sec to switch to low mode.
    When on in high mode, hard click to return to previous mode (low, medium or off).

I hope this made sense? The advantage with this UI is that medium mode is the default mode when clicking the light button while low mode is easily available and can be accessed directly without blinding you with the middle mode, and all modes is available without double clicking which is impossible with gloves.

So how bright should the different modes be? The low mode should be low enough for comfortable reading a map at 40 cm with night adapted eyes, the two other modes should be regulated for runtime instead of brightness. I feel 8 hours medium and 2 hours high is the best trade off.

If the double action push button idea doesn't work out, then I hope you can make a single mode light with 8 hours runtime.

Sigbjoern
    Last edited by Lurveleven; 11-09-2007 at 06:33 AM.

Wow very nice, really like the button UI, and the looks is also very nice, and would defiantly be in for one of these.

Will there be a 1xAA version of it two?
    Eagletac G25C2 MKII | Nitecore SRT3 | Nitecore SRT7 | Nitecore TM26 | SkyRay King |

Quote Originally Posted by Tronic View Post

How about change the band attachment to something like this?

+1 to what Tronic said. I also like 3 levels. Low for ultimate run-time, Med when you need enough light for walking around camp while still providing good battery life, and Hi when you need serious light and don't care about battery life. I also like the soft touch level changes since that's what my brain is most used to.

Although I'd like to see all the Zebralights with a standard sized headband, if it had a top strap that would really be helpful for jogging and hiking. I guess that would require changing the light bracket though.