new ZebraLight H30 UI etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZebraLight

Enlightened
We are currently working on a CR123A/RCR123 powered H30 headlamp (will be released in December). Major changes in the H30 include:
- a narrower flood beam, around 75 degree, without hotspot, center area lux reading is about 130% over that of the H50 driven at the same current.
- a recessed lens, as a glare shield plus some protection to the lens
- higher high
- a more traditional clip with narrower gap between the clip and the light
- a lanyard hole on the clip
- shorter than the H50, volume and weight are about the same
- a push button switch for single hand operations

EDIT: several UI designs

(1) soft push button click: OFF, low, med, high, OFF, click while ON for more than a few seconds, OFF

(2) double action push button (like those shutter release buttons on cameras):
light click ---------- low
hard click ----------- high
double light click ---- medium
light click when ON --- OFF

(3) double action push button with momentary:
light press and hold --------- momentary low
further press while mom low - momentary high
hard press and hold --------- momentary high
light click ------------------- constant low
hard click ------------------- constant high
double light click ------------ constant medium
light click when on ---------- off

(4) digital 3 level ramping
press and hold ------------ cycle through low, med and high, release to set
when ON, click to OFF
when ON, press and hold ---cycle through low, med and high, release to set

CAD image:
ZebraLightH30CADimage.jpg

Any comments?

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Camera style switch for the new ZebraLight H30 UI

Sounds great, it's good that the flood is going to be a bit narrower (it was too much diffused for hiking, for my taste).
The UI seems to be simple and fast. Thank you for keeping your lights simple and not putting 100 different modes.
I am waiting either for the 18650 (if it won't be too big) or a new AA version.

gunga

Flashaholic

Sounds good. I hope the diffference between hard and soft clicks is not too bad, since this would be used with gloves on some of the time.

Hoping for some kind of overdischarge protection/warning for Li-on.

Also, if this design were done in 1 AA too, I would certainly buy another Zebra.

paulr

Flashaholic

1. UI is too complicated. I say get rid of the medium level altogether--two levels is enough.

2. Lanyard hole in the clip sticking up past the edge of the cylinder looks annoying to me, like it can poke into things. I'd much rather have an integral lanyard hole (think of the corner cutaway in the 2AA minimag) even if it makes the light a couple mm longer.

3. I much prefer the AA or AAA format to 123.

I have mixed feelings about the 75 degree lens. The totally diffused beam of the H50 was almost unique among flashlights and it is just fantastic for close-up use. It's not so good for hiking but 75 degrees isn't so good for hiking either. I'd rather have something fantastic for close-up and lousy for distance, than something mediocre at both. The main use of a headlamp is to have both hands free, which usually means close-up (fixing something, setting up a tent, etc). If I want to light something in the distance I can use a handheld light.

cat

Enlightened

:)

Keep the headband the same so headband can be used for all models. Standard zebralight headband.

Narrower flood ? For me, the H50-P4 flood is perfect. I love it.

Will this one have the same GITD thing to attach to the strap?

paulr said:
The totally diffused beam of the H50 was almost unique among flashlights and it is just fantastic for close-up use. It's not so good for hiking but 75 degrees isn't so good for hiking either. I'd rather have something fantastic for close-up and lousy for distance, than something mediocre at both. The main use of a headlamp is to have both hands free, which usually means close-up (fixing something, setting up a tent, etc). If I want to light something in the distance I can use a handheld light.

Yes! both hands free, close-up ...fixing something, working on bike, making tea or finding something in dark room... perfect!

UI is too complicated. I say get rid of the medium level altogether--two levels is enough.
No need for medium. High and Low. Keep it simple. Take out the Medium, then the UI is not so complicated. Soft-touch forward click Medium, click again High.
Off - Medium - High - Off. Simple.

Last edited:

Daekar

Enlightened

I'm on the fence about this UI, because I tend to use my headlamps while wearing gloves... I'm thinking that the UI for my H50 is more appropriate for that use , ironically. I question the need for a momentary on a headlamp, actually. What's wrong with a nice regular clicky that goes Off-Low-Med-High-Off? I can't think of a time where I'd use a momentary feature on a headlamp. It's not a tactical item, certainly... and using a momentary defeats the "hands-free" purpose of a headlamp because, well, you've only got one hand free. :whistle:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. UI is too complicated. I say get rid of the medium level altogether--two levels is enough.

I can't agree with this, three is the best number of modes for me.

Zebralight: Wow that looks really nice. Im looking forward especially for double led 18650 headlamp :naughty:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't agree with this, three is the best number of modes for me.

+1 Definitely, three modes are more useful IMHO. Imagine you would just have very low and then very high (with a short runtime)... I would like to choose something between, with a reasonable runtime and enought brightness for most tasks.

I really like the new design, are you planning to make an AA version in this new design?

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like everything about it but the lanyard attachment sticking up. otherwise looks very useful and will likely buy one.
EDIT: I have an H50 set to arrive in a couple days, so I may have more feedback then. but, after reading the comments, i agree there is no need for momentary on this light. a reliable, recessed, well waterproofed clickie with low-med-high-off seems best.

Last edited:

Tronic

Newly Enlightened

Wow, this light is looking good!!! :takeit:

I like my H50, but the H30 seems to be a great improvement. :rock:

I agree that the UI is too complicated.
I would prefer a soft push-button. Every push change the brightness to the next level.
OFF - LO - MEDIUM - HIGH - OFF
Push the button if the light is more than 2 second on any level turn the light off. (Same UI as the PT EOS)

The H50 headband was not very comfortable
How about change the band attachment to something like this?

spoonrobot

Enlightened

Is there going to be a lock-out ability?

gunga

Flashaholic

Wow, this light is looking good!!! :takeit:

I like my H50, but the H30 seems to be a great improvement. :rock:

I agree that the UI is too complicated.
I would prefer a soft push-button. Every push change the brightness to the next level.
OFF - LO - MEDIUM - HIGH - OFF
Push the button if the light is more than 2 second on any level turn the light off. (Same UI as the PT EOS)

The H50 headband was not very comfortable

I agree all around, tho I never had a problem with the headband...
UI is a good idea. THis is simpler and better.

Momentary is not needed on a headlamp. Simplicity is.

No 2 stage switch on the headlamp. Just single stage with lockout is fine.

ZebraLight

Enlightened
updated UI designs, in the order of preferance:

(1) soft push button click: OFF, low, med, high, OFF. click while ON for more than a few seconds, OFF

(2) double action (camera shutter release type) button:
light click ---------- low
hard click ----------- high
double light click ---- medium
light click when ON --- OFF

(3) the original complicated double action ...

Status
Not open for further replies.