• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Drop-in Sandwich as gift...

KingSmono

Enlightened
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy my buddy a drop-in sandwich for his 2AA m@glight. The shop's layout is kind of confusing though. (No offense Wayne!) Please help me pick all the ingredients and make sure I'm not leaving anything out.

My requirements:

-BRIGHT (I want something that will be impressive... looking for a VAST improvement over the stock bulb brightness.)

-WHITE (No Greenies!)

-FULL REGULATION (Current regulation, so output is constant til the batteries die... So I'm guessing this leaves me with BadBoy or NexGen?)

-DECENT RUNTIME (At least an hour...)

I know I'm asking for everything, and realize that there are tradeoffs... brightness/runtime, etc. Would a 750ma NexGen driver with a Seoul give me the "wow" factor in the brightness department, along with a runtime of at least an hour?

And what other things do I need to add to the cart when I'm going the BK Seoul route? (Wayne, none of the links in the BK Seoul item description work for me.) Just want to make sure I'm not leaving anything out. Thanks!!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Once you start hacking drop-ins and having to add "quick-fixes" things go downhill for non-CPF'ers. Better to stick to some stock solution that will not need any fiddling with.

Based on your needs, I'd go with a NexGen 500 - it's not the brightest, but it gives the best balance between output and brightness. The NG750 will be brighter but, IMO, the reduced runtime doesn't make it worthwhile, even when using a Seoul.

Before giving your buddy the sammie, make sure to add a heavy coat of nail polish (or other insulating material) to the LED's contacts. You don't want the sammie shorting inside his light... :poof: I killed my first sammies that way, after that I enlarge the upper opening of the light and add a dab of epoxy to the (+) contact side.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Thanks for the hint. I have been thinking about modding the AA M@glite and didn't know about this stuff. I got the NiteIze LED upgrade that has the 3 leds in it......it's ok but not even close to what I was expecting. That 19 dollar taskforce 1 watt or even 3 watt in the AA sized battery kicks butt (OK I got both) compared to that upgrade. That's why I was looking into better mods....now I know.

Bob E.