Seoul UBIN MiNewt vs Topeak Moonshine HID

ovlovder

Newly Enlightened
Here are the beam shots I took just after upgrading my UR-MiNewt to a U-BIN Seoul, comparing with my Topeak Moonshine HID which I have used on singletrack for the past two years. I believe it is a 7w HID. I dont plan to use just the MiNewt offroad, but it sure is bright these days.

MiNewt With UBIN
IMG_3146.jpg

Topeak
IMG_3145.jpg

Wish I had a shot before I modded it.

kikoy

Newly Enlightened
Sir, Where did you buy your SSC P4 ubin? Can it replace the 2 lumiled LED on a cygolite dualcross with also 2 SSC P4 UBIN units? will it adffect the run time? Because i have a friend who has a dualcross and i also want to get one but i want mine to be brighter. Thanks

Szemhazai

Enlightened
Yes, inside MiNewt.X2 is already SSC P4 – but bin is unknown so you can always try to replace it with U-bin SSC low Vf version an check what will happen :)

ovlovder

Newly Enlightened
This is the first generation Minewt, which even came with a different charger, Niterider claims the new lamp is twice as bright, they sell it as an upgrade for around $50 of so.

ovlovder

Newly Enlightened
Sir, Where did you buy your SSC P4 ubin? Can it replace the 2 lumiled LED on a cygolite dualcross with also 2 SSC P4 UBIN units? will it adffect the run time? Because i have a friend who has a dualcross and i also want to get one but i want mine to be brighter. Thanks

My emitter came from the Sandwich Shoppe, I paid a bit more than DX or the like, but, I got what I ordered, the first time, from the US, and even a piece of strawberry candy!

Take a photo of the inside of your Cygo, Im sure myself or someone here could at least get you started.

I anticipate the run time to be unaffected. The way I understand it is these emitters are just more efficient and therefore produce more light with the same draw.

hawseman

Newly Enlightened

That's arguably the easiest upgrade I've ever done (DualCross). Battery time is same, light is mucho brighter. I used a Cree Q5, but an SSC U-Bin would look better (not necessarily brighter) with the DC optics. Be sure to get the emitters mounted on stars. You can get them from dealextreme.com or kaidomain.com.

De-solder Lumiled stars from heatsinks and solder on new stars (remember polarity). Oops, before putting new SSC stars on heatsink, clean mating surfaces with Iso Alcohol and add some thermal grease. Stars are screwed in place.

Here is link to more info:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=355221

You'll blow away your buddy for a mere 12 bucks......:twothumbs

Last edited:

Szemhazai

Enlightened
Sorry ovlovder but you have different shutter speed for all photos... They are only reliable to compare beam pattern / color.