Know any DECENT crime writers?

BillG

Newly Enlightened
most of the true crime books are written by hacks. ann rule and joe mcguiness are the exceptions IMHO.

all the rest seem to be awful writers.

have i missed some good ones?

any suggestions?

Bill

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for fiction, try Walter Mosley, Tony Hillerman, John Sandford, and **** Francis, but for a nice mystery with a healthy dose of bizarre humor, the should have been governor of Texas, Kinky Friedman.

As for nonfiction, find a copy of Homicide: a Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon.

DM51

Flashaholic
Michael Connolly. He has written ~16 books, with not a dud among them. Very good indeed.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
Michael Connolly. He has written ~16 books, with not a dud among them. Very good indeed.

+1 on Michael Connelly. I've thoroughly enjoyed several of his, especially the Harry Bosch novels. I also suggest Robert Crais. I reviewed his book, The Two Minute Rule here:
http://www.sneakyreader.com/index.php?s=two+minute+rule.

Edit: I just reread your post and saw that you are looking for true crime. I can't help you there, but I stand by my earlier suggestions for crime and detective fiction.

Last edited:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
For fiction, Dennis Lehane is tops in my book. Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, A Drink Before The War, are good starters.

Non-fiction must reads,
Maury Terry's Ultimate Evil about the Son of Sam murders

Penny Lernoux's In Banks We Trust - this cast of thousands will have you banking from your mattress

Walter Bowart's Operation Mind Control is now difficult to find - occasionally available on amazon for quite a price, it's an unbelievable read about real government research and operations - criminal? read it an you judge

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't know from "True" crime, but I do know that Sanford, Deavers, Coben and Hillerman are some good writers!

Crime on a much grander scale (such as treason) by Clancy, Flynn and others.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoyed James Ellroy. Not exactly true crime, but an interesting experience.

I'd start with his L.A. Quartet:

1987 The Black Dahlia
1988 The Big Nowhere
1990 L.A. Confidential
1992 White Jazz

Latest posts